Jesse Lee Peterson, a man of color, destroys white privilege.

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Can you source that? Everything I am seeing says otherwise.

https://datacenter.kidscount.org/da...,867,133,38,35,18/10,11,9,12,1,185,13/432,431

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-...on-lemon-says-more-72-percent-african-americ/

https://www.afro.com/census-bureau-higher-percentage-black-children-live-single-mothers/

http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2016...l-being/st_2016-06-27_race-inequality-ch1-09/

ST_2016.06.27_race-inequality-ch1-09.png

As per the census the percentage of black children living with a single mother in 1960 was 20%. The percentage of white kids living with a single mother today is 19%.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...motherhood-in-america-over-the-last-50-years/

Now that we’ve covered that when can we expect the think pieces about white culture being the problem?

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
As per the census the percentage of black children living with a single mother in 1960 was 20%. The percentage of white kids living with a single mother today is 19%.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...motherhood-in-america-over-the-last-50-years/

Now that we’ve covered that when can we expect the think pieces about white culture being the problem?

The reason people have been complaining for over 50 years because the Black community has had a huge gap for over 50 years. From your own article.

imrs.php

Given the correlations between SFH and child outcomes, I'm sure you should be able to see the issue. Yes, SFH for Whites is today as high as it was for Blacks 50+ years ago, but, Black SFH is still drastically higher. So, while its a problem for every group, it still effects Blacks disproportionately. Why would highlighting a problem that disproportionately effects Blacks, and has been that way for over 50 years be a problem to you?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
The reason people have been complaining for over 50 years because the Black community has had a huge gap for over 50 years. From your own article.

imrs.php

Given the correlations between SFH and child outcomes, I'm sure you should be able to see the issue. Yes, SFH for Whites is today as high as it was for Blacks 50+ years ago, but, Black SFH is still drastically higher. So, while its a problem for every group, it still effects Blacks disproportionately. Why would highlighting a problem that disproportionately effects Blacks, and has been that way for over 50 years be a problem to you?

I’m just trying to figure out why if 20% black single family households was a problem meriting endless think pieces why 20% white single family households isn’t.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I’m just trying to figure out why if 20% black single family households was a problem meriting endless think pieces why 20% white single family households isn’t.

Again, because SFH is correlated to negative outcomes, and, the rate of SFH for Blacks has been and still is drastically higher.

Why is unarmed shootings of Blacks a problem, when White people are shot too? Could it be, IDK, because the rate is disproportionate?

Also, as White SFH% has increased, have we seen anything happen? Yes we have is clearly the answer. The only difference is that its become more socially acceptable vs the past.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Again, because SFH is correlated to negative outcomes, and, the rate of SFH for Blacks has been and still is drastically higher.

Why is unarmed shootings of Blacks a problem, when White people are shot too? Could it be, IDK, because the rate is disproportionate?

Also, as White SFH% has increased, have we seen anything happen? Yes we have is clearly the answer. The only difference is that its become more socially acceptable vs the past.

And why do you think it has become more socially acceptable? I have a thought.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
And why do you think it has become more socially acceptable? I have a thought.

My guess is that your argument will be that as it has grown for Whites, its become more acceptable. The obvious reply is... Yeah, as more people do it, it becomes more acceptable.

The point still stands that there is a clear correlation between SFH and outcomes. The fact that the rate for Blacks is much higher is not trivial. Many of the issues that Blacks were facing are now being faced by Whites in terms of the correlations with SFH. In terms of why there is still a focus for Blacks, its again because its still very disproportionate to the Black community.

So, why is it not a problem to you when the correlation for bad outcomes is so high and is disproportionately effecting Blacks? Why is this different from police shootings?

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
My summary with few words.

Does white privilege exist? YES
Can black people succeed in the United States? YES
Are blacks at a disadvantage in the United States solely on the basis of being black? YES

Reactions: Meghan54

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
My guess is that your argument will be that as it has grown for Whites, its become more acceptable. The obvious reply is... Yeah, as more people do it, it becomes more acceptable.

The point still stands that there is a clear correlation between SFH and outcomes. The fact that the rate for Blacks is much higher is not trivial. Many of the issues that Blacks were facing are now being faced by Whites in terms of the correlations with SFH. In terms of why there is still a focus for Blacks, its again because its still very disproportionate to the Black community.

So, why is it not a problem to you when the correlation for bad outcomes is so high and is disproportionately effecting Blacks? Why is this different from police shootings?

You are arguing against a point I never made. I simply find it interesting that levels of single motherhood that were a crisis among black people are not a crisis among white people. You're totally right this has become more socially acceptable but we should ask ourselves why that is.

EDIT: If instead of white single motherhood increasing had black single motherhood gone to 100% and white single motherhood stayed the same do you think it would have become more socially acceptable because more people were doing it?

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
My summary with few words.

Does white privilege exist? YES
Can black people succeed in the United States? YES
Are blacks at a disadvantage in the United States solely on the basis of being black? YES

The problem is how big is the difference. I think the problem with Slow is that he is stuck on disagreeing with how large the difference is, and so hey throws everything out.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
You are arguing against a point I never made. I simply find it interesting that levels of single motherhood that were a crisis among black people are not a crisis among white people. You're totally right this has become more socially acceptable but we should ask ourselves why that is.

Its a Crisis because of how bad the correlation is.

https://thefatherlessgeneration.wordpress.com/statistics/

This appears to be accurate. I did not source everything though.

• 63% of youth suicides are from fatherless homes (US Dept. Of Health/Census) – 5 times the average.
  • 90% of all homeless and runaway children are from fatherless homes – 32 times the average.
  • 85% of all children who show behavior disorders come from fatherless homes – 20 times the average. (Center for Disease Control)
  • 80% of rapists with anger problems come from fatherless homes –14 times the average. (Justice & Behavior, Vol 14, p. 403-26)
  • 71% of all high school dropouts come from fatherless homes – 9 times the average. (National Principals Association Report)
Father Factor in Education – Fatherless children are twice as likely to drop out of school.

• Children with Fathers who are involved are 40% less likely to repeat a grade in school.
  • Children with Fathers who are involved are 70% less likely to drop out of school.
  • Children with Fathers who are involved are more likely to get A’s in school.
  • Children with Fathers who are involved are more likely to enjoy school and engage in extracurricular activities.
  • 75% of all adolescent patients in chemical abuse centers come from fatherless homes – 10 times the average.

It was bad then, and its bad now. Why society is more accepting is something to discuss, but, your point about not understanding why it was seen as a huge problem then but not now is confusing. It was a huge problem then, and its a bigger problem now. The only difference is that people have started changing their perspective. The data does not lie.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
EDIT: If instead of white single motherhood increasing had black single motherhood gone to 100% and white single motherhood stayed the same do you think it would have become more socially acceptable because more people were doing it?

Yes, because Black people are part of society.

Did you mean to ask more socially acceptable in the White community?

Nov 8, 2012
People have been complaining about the contribution of single black parent households to black people’s problems for 50 years. Ironically, the percentage of white kids living in single parent households today is higher than the percentage of black kids living in single parent households when this concern trolling began, yet we see no such similar complaints. Why do you think that is?

....Wut? Mind directing me to what you're smoking there? I mean, if your point is that whites have increased... Yeah, sure. It's increased by 9% over the last 40+ years. In fact, it's increased for every single race.

There is just a WEE bit of a difference with one particular race that happens to have started relatively higher than all the others - AND also INCREASED higher than others. Tell me if you think you can spot which one.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Its a Crisis because of how bad the correlation is.

https://thefatherlessgeneration.wordpress.com/statistics/

This appears to be accurate. I did not source everything though.

• 63% of youth suicides are from fatherless homes (US Dept. Of Health/Census) – 5 times the average.
  • 90% of all homeless and runaway children are from fatherless homes – 32 times the average.
  • 85% of all children who show behavior disorders come from fatherless homes – 20 times the average. (Center for Disease Control)
  • 80% of rapists with anger problems come from fatherless homes –14 times the average. (Justice & Behavior, Vol 14, p. 403-26)
  • 71% of all high school dropouts come from fatherless homes – 9 times the average. (National Principals Association Report)
Father Factor in Education – Fatherless children are twice as likely to drop out of school.

• Children with Fathers who are involved are 40% less likely to repeat a grade in school.
  • Children with Fathers who are involved are 70% less likely to drop out of school.
  • Children with Fathers who are involved are more likely to get A’s in school.
  • Children with Fathers who are involved are more likely to enjoy school and engage in extracurricular activities.
  • 75% of all adolescent patients in chemical abuse centers come from fatherless homes – 10 times the average.

It was bad then, and its bad now. Why society is more accepting is something to discuss, but, your point about not understanding why it was seen as a huge problem then but not now is confusing. It was a huge problem then, and its a bigger problem now. The only difference is that people have started changing their perspective. The data does not lie.

Your confusion appears to come from not understanding my argument. I'm not saying single motherhood isn't a problem, I'm questioning why similar levels have not elicited similar responses.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
....Wut? Mind directing me to what you're smoking there? I mean, if your point is that whites have increased... Yeah, sure. It's increased by 9% over the last 40+ years. In fact, it's increased for every single race.

There is just a WEE bit of a difference with one particular race that happens to have started relatively higher than all the others - AND also INCREASED higher than others. Tell me if you think you can spot which one.

No, my point is that in the 1960's single motherhood among black people was at 20%. This was viewed as a big problem and a signifier of a problem with black culture. White single motherhood today is basically 20% yet we see no similar concerns. While you are absolutely right that black single motherhood was and is much higher than that for whites, why was 20% among black people a signifier of a cultural problem but 20% among white people not?

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005

Right, and that is NOT white privilege, that is shooting yourself in the foot. But, then the left manufactures the rest. Excuses, lowering of the bar, never personal responsibility.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Your confusion appears to come from not understanding my argument. I'm not saying single motherhood isn't a problem, I'm questioning why similar levels have not elicited similar responses.

I got that, and responded to it.

A. It effects Blacks disproportionately which makes people care.
B. Its becoming less of an issue as it becomes more accepted. So now that rates for Whites are as high as Blacks 50 years ago, it not seen as important.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Guys, look at Elizabeth Warren as an example. A proud Native American that did not let her minority status hold her back from achieving. She had a passion and followed it, she is very successful today.
You desplay an enormous amount of selfcontempt, I my opinion, none of which you really deserve in my opinion, but does make some of your behavior reflect that negativity in reality. But you are not alone in this. The human disease, in my opinion is self hate, for which we all seek some form of external identification with something out ther we feel better about ourselves to identify with.

There is little I can think of that would make a liberal happier than to be of mixed race and in particular, American Indian. So Warren is just as guilty as you are. Sadly, you will find it hard to feel truly worthwhile if you can’t forgive her of the sins you also commit.

Nov 8, 2012
No, my point is that in the 1960's single motherhood among black people was at 20%. This was viewed as a big problem and a signifier of a problem with black culture. White single motherhood today is basically 20% yet we see no similar concerns. While you are absolutely right that black single motherhood was and is much higher than that for whites, why was 20% among black people a signifier of a cultural problem but 20% among white people not?

I've never heard of it being a serious problem really in the 1960s - but then again, I wasn't alive in the 60's to really know. I was born in 88' - and I can't say that the concept of single-motherhood being bad was ever really brought up in my lifetime until the last 5-10 years (where it has had SIGNIFICANTLY higher increases).

And to your point though - who is saying it isn't a problem for white people as well? No one is saying it isn't. It's overall sad that society is more accepting of it. I honestly chalk that one up to today's women movements. Dur hur, I'm all powerful and I dont need no man! (...Meanwhile statistics and reality show that fatherless homes are destined for failure.... But here we are as usual, ignoring statistics in the name of social justice and feel-good feelings)

Also apologies - I didn't realize realibrad already posted that image and started discussing it, playing catch-up.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I've never heard of it being a serious problem really in the 1960s - but then again, I wasn't alive in the 60's to really know. I was born in 88' - and I can't say that the concept of single-motherhood being bad was ever really brought up in my lifetime until the last 5-10 years (where it has had SIGNIFICANTLY higher increases).

And to your point though - who is saying it isn't a problem for white people as well? No one is saying it isn't. It's overall sad that society is more accepting of it. I honestly chalk that one up to today's women movements. Dur hur, I'm all powerful and I dont need no man! (...Meanwhile statistics and reality show that fatherless homes are destined for failure.... But here we are as usual, ignoring statistics in the name of social justice and feel-good feelings)

Also apologies - I didn't realize realibrad already posted that image and started discussing it, playing catch-up.

Keep up bitch lol.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

If you look at my link you'll see a reference to Pat Moynihan's very influential screed against it in the 1960's.

I would chalk it up to it being more prevalent among white people. Like I said to him, if instead of white single motherhood increasing it stayed the same but black single motherhood went up to 100% do you think society would be as accepting of it? I sure don't.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Want to know if white privilege exists? Ask yourself, in 2008 all other things being equal, if Obama behaved like Trump could he have been elected?

Use your common sense when answering.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Kinda off topic, but is anyone surprised that Slow's thread titles are clickbait? Like "Destroy white privilege using this one simple black guy!"

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Right, and that is NOT white privilege, that is shooting yourself in the foot. But, then the left manufactures the rest. Excuses, lowering of the bar, never personal responsibility.
You are not taking personal responsibility for using rational thinking because you don't know how to think rationally. It's the same story with blacks who act irresponsibly. They never learned how to. So you have something in common with those who are irresponsible and happen to also be black. The question you should ask is why do you hate yourself for your irresponsibility that you need to see it in black people to condemn it when you are just as guilty. Maybe you were unaware of the similarity? Racist putdowns make people act out the stereotype they are boxed into. You were put in a similar box as a child.

Nov 8, 2012
Then, please, by all means link all those govt. statistics that show that whites get harsher sentences than blacks for equivalent crimes or any of the other items you dismissed mentioned by Homer. Please......I'm very curious. Thanks.

LOL....who am I kidding? You won't show a damned thing. You'll just ignore this as you typically do.....or if you do respond, you'll simply dismissively respond "Do your own research," which, from all I've read, tend to prove you wrong. But I'd be fascinated to see all those govt. stats to which you allude.

There isn't any government statistics of your cherry picked questionnaire moron. The only thing government has is hard-coded numbers. X people shot. X people killed. I don't even think government has anything on sentencing - so you're going off of whatever you get from media sources and trusting it as if it were factual and well-researched (e.g. WaPo). Even if it is reputable and well-researched, it has no basis on what determining factors lead up to their numbers.

And when they say something such as "Blacks are sentenced to more time than Whites for the same crime" of course they don't do the due diligence to realize that there may be this thing in statistics called determining factors. You can't just self-assess and say, well x number of deaths, therefore y conclusion.

You have to ask FUCKING OBVIOUS questions that even a 5th grader would ask for each one of those "crimes" such as:

1) Did they plead guilty? No Contest? Not Guilty?
2) Did they have a lawyer? Was it court appointed?
3) Did they have a family to support (judges may be more lenient)?
4) Did the person have a history of other crimes or misdemeanors?
5) Did the person have a history of good employment, or of little to no employment (judges may be more lenient)?
6) Was the person broke or rich?
7) Was there substantial evidence?
8) Who was on the jury (race, age, sex, occupation, country of origin, list goes on and on)?
9) What jurisdiction was it in? City, County, District, State, Federal?
10) What are the demographics of the place in which the crime occurred?

The list goes on and fucking on you halfwit dumbshit. There is a reason why in a Statistics class you don't just get to declare the conclusion based on some simple numbers on a graph. There are thousands upon thousands of determining factors that may contribute to those numbers that you damn well better factor in before reaching your OBVIOUS BIAS and false conclusion.

I'm done educating you retards.