Question Jen Sung makes questionable decision? [RUMOR] NVidia tries to disable GPU mining?

Page 19 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001

So now, not only is Nvidia's chairman selling GPUs that can be used for Compute (*formerly called GPGPU - "General Purpose"), he's rum0ored to be attempting to effectively regulate WHAT PROGRAMS are ALLOWED to be run on the GPUs that they mfg?

Imaging if Intel decided to decree, that their CPUs, could no longer be used for searching for prime numbers.

This whole idea is a slippery slope that I am NOT willing to go down.

And to think, this is all just an (alleged) stupid band-aid, over their mfg and supply-chain issues.

If Nvidia could effectively supply all of their GPU markets with product, this wouldn't even be an issue.

Edit: If this rumor turns out to be true, expect class-action lawsuits against NVidia, much like what happened to Sony with the PS3 losing functionality (running Linux) after people purchased them.

Now, ALL NVIDIA RETAILERS will be forced to post a prominent disclaimer of the software that is NOT ALLOWED to be run on these GPUs, or they will get sued as well.

Update:
NVidia to phase out all existing Ampere PCI device-ids, phase in EtH mining "block" across ALL new Ampere line-up!

Last edited:
Reactions: Steltek
Feb 4, 2009
I do kind of wonder what the shortage will do to game development especially if it goes a long time like a year plus.
Imagine making a game envisioning most will have HD lighting or ray tracing by the time you release it and nearly nobody has that capability.

Or worse buyers having less capabilities than when development began.
Today we see people using 1030s to replace dead cards.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Or worse buyers having less capabilities than when development began.
Today we see people using 1030s to replace dead cards.

You do have the consoles. And while the RT performance on them surely leaves a lot to be desired it does have proper support for it.

Series S features and performance is likely to be the bare minimum in the not too distant future.

Feb 4, 2009
You do have the consoles. And while the RT performance on them surely leaves a lot to be desired it does have proper support for it.

Series S features and performance is likely to be the bare minimum in the not too distant future.

No I belong to the PC Gamer Master Race.

1629380705377.jpeg

However being more serious consoles typically don’t do a lot of the games I enjoy.
Such as:
4x games
Survival/building type games and yes I know some exist
Support for mods
RTS kind of games
Oddball old stuff or early access things

Finally getting all my buddies to move to a particular console would be challenging, then requiring them to compete with their kids as to who gets to play and when. My living room sort of sucks for this type gaming in my house, bedroom is off limits unless I want to play around my wife’s sleeping schedule and I am not getting a third TV for two people.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
However being more serious consoles typically don’t do a lot of the games I enjoy.
Such as:
4x games
Support for mods
RTS kind of games

Those games aren't going to put ray tracing or whatever in their games. I'm talking about AAA.

Feb 4, 2009
Those games aren't going to put ray tracing or whatever in their games. I'm talking about AAA.

My earlier point was for a gene developer to assume there will be x amount of performance in the average GPU when I release this game and there could actually be less performance as people replace failed cards with something that is older.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
AAA has NOTHING to do with the type of game, or what type of features they support. AAA only describes how much money was spent makin git.

But Non-AAA won't have the budget to take advantage of those features anyway. Some of those should perhaps target mobile, maybe the Switch.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Another in a long line of arguments by non true PC gamers asking "Why not just game on consoles?"

I think it's more that AAA game devs aren't going to take into account the GPU shortage when it comes to features/requirements. There's def going to be a lot of PC gamers who will be SOL if the shortage doesn't end.

Feb 4, 2009
I think it's more that AAA game devs aren't going to take into account the GPU shortage when it comes to features/requirements. There's def going to be a lot of PC gamers who will be SOL if the shortage doesn't end.

They would be fools if they didn’t.
Yes we *could* end up in a weird territory where consoles are more powerful than PCs in the long term but my guess would be they would reduce the settings for consoles because the goal is as many sales as possible to offset your huge development cost for AAA games.
Seems really strange to say PCs could cripple consoles. Usually it is the other way around.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Another in a long line of arguments by non true PC gamers asking "Why not just game on consoles?"

psst... *passes memo on receipt*
They are miners dressed as PC Gamers trying to get us to go to consoles so they get MOAR GPU's.

*face palm*

MineCraft RTX:

Mods which PUT RTX on old games:

More RPG's with RTX and DLSS on top...

You do know why Nvidia is trying to LHR cards right?
its so gamers get them and RTX and DLSS doesn't die a fiery death cause no one can use them.

But Non-AAA won't have the budget to take advantage of those features anyway. Some of those should perhaps target mobile, maybe the Switch.

Sigh... are you serious....

I think you should just hush... in honesty, it shows you are obviously NOT a PC GAMER...
Infact most of the people here who are active in the PC gaming section will agree we never see you in our side of our forum.

Last edited:
Reactions: Leeea and Stuka87

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Skyrim is AAA dude.

sigh... Skyrim was NEVER made for RTX...
A MOD put it there..

You told Fanatical Meat that Mods would not put RTX and i just proved you wrong.

And Minecraft is a blacksheep in terms of gaming.
It can be either a AAA or a Indy by standards.
It can also run on a Android Phone, as well as bring a Threadripper with 3090 to its knees with all the mods and effects loaded.

So that alone should go against your argument.

Reactions: CP5670 and Leeea

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Perhaps a better example would be the next Elder Scrolls. I suppose MS could mandate that it run on the One but otherwise I'd expect them to fully embrace if not require RT, DirectStorage, etc. PC GPUs not being available wouldn't cause them to change course.

Feb 4, 2009
sigh... Skyrim was NEVER made for RTX...
A MOD put it there..

You told Fanatical Meat that Mods would not put RTX and i just proved you wrong.

And Minecraft is a blacksheep in terms of gaming.
It can be either a AAA or a Indy by standards.
It can also run on a Android Phone, as well as bring a Threadripper with 3090 to its knees with all the mods and effects loaded.

So that alone should go against your argument.

And this is exactly why I am a member of the PC Gamer Master Race.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
I don't think it costs companies much additional money to make a cross-platform AAA game scale to high end PCs. They can add RT or HD textures (which they often have already). If anything it's harder to make it work well on older consoles, like Cyberpunk.

Such as:
4x games
Support for mods
RTS kind of games

This is why PC will always be the best platform, it has by far the largest catalog and variety of games out there. The vast majority of PC gamers have older PCs, but which are perfectly good for the games they play and they don't care about having the fastest video card.