Jeffrey Epstein, millionaire pedophile and human trafficker arrested.

Page 15 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
So according to the WSJ Epstein was trying to blackmail Bill Gates over an affair he had around 2010 with a Russian bridge player (edit: of legal age - need to clarify that in any Epstein thread).

Epstein was trying to rehabilitate his image by setting up a large charitable foundation that he would oversee, (for millions in fees) and he needed Gates as a contributor.

(Sorry for Apple News link)
At least she was of legal age...

• Haha
Reactions: pcgeek11

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Bill Gates is the textbook example for how people can form parasocial relationships with complete strangers.

Dude has done an absolutely incredible job of projecting this nice "aww-shucks I'm a nerd with a heart of gold" persona that people around the world have absolutely eaten up while in reality having some very, very rough edges.

Very important to remember for media personalities that what you see is often a heavily sanitized or even alternate reality version of a person thats been run through a marketing and image consulting team before ever reaching your eyes and ears. You don't know these people, and if you feel the need to like/love/trust people based on a curated media persona its time to take a step back and reevaluate how you interact with your sources of information.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
You jest, but that is the takeaway here.. The worst Epstein had on Gates was this. No underage this or wicked piss tape that.
Just remember this next time you read one of the "Bill Gates flew on Epstein's pedo plane 5000 times"
Oh I wasnt jesting. Totally serious.

Reactions: cytg111
Mar 11, 2004
I think there might potentially be a bigger story at play. A Russian bridge player with dirt on Bill Gates? That's quite huge, especially given we know Russia had female agents infiltrating political and other power circles. The timeline (2010-2017) especially lines up. Granted it seems Bill was smart enough to avoid getting embroiled like say Turmp did. I bet there's a LOT more to this story. At minimum, I'd guess that Bill might have had his own dirt/info which is why the blackmailing never went anywhere. Actually, given the timeline, could Gates have been maybe the tipping point for exposing Epstein more broadly? Remember the Russian investigations mentioned finding out a lot of other criminal activities that would require further investigations, could this be involved (and partly why the evidence from the Epstein stuff has been locked up tightly?).

Bill Gates is the textbook example for how people can form parasocial relationships with complete strangers.

Dude has done an absolutely incredible job of projecting this nice "aww-shucks I'm a nerd with a heart of gold" persona that people around the world have absolutely eaten up while in reality having some very, very rough edges.

Very important to remember for media personalities that what you see is often a heavily sanitized or even alternate reality version of a person thats been run through a marketing and image consulting team before ever reaching your eyes and ears. You don't know these people, and if you feel the need to like/love/trust people based on a curated media persona its time to take a step back and reevaluate how you interact with your sources of information.

You're talking about the guy that is liked well enough to have a major conspiracy theory alleging that he's injecting tracking/control devices into people under the guise of a vaccine? I think there are worse ones, and he's had an ongoing conspiracy theory alleging he either is Satan or working with Satan since like the mid 90s at least. And you think people think he has a heart of gold? I don't know of anyone that thinks that about him. He did manage to change his public persona into a bit of a Robin Hood, wherein his cutthroat business behavior was leveraged into philanthropy. He'd lost most of his original clout as things changed (and Steve Jobs basically took over again as the Tech Messiah). Most people didn't really know his philanthropy that well (and because of his past behavior there was actually a lot of mistrust because of it). I think its telling that most people don't like Microsoft to this day and that's a carryover from when Gates ran the company.

I think Jobs is much better example of what you're talking about. And he had as many if not more rough edges as Gates did. I do agree that some people, namely the tech industry that was the closest to what you're claiming, as plenty held him in regard in a slightly revelatory way as sorta elder Tech statesman (but amusingly even then very often mentioned Jobs - whom many of those same people professed open admiration for and would regularly defend or obscure the rough edges of, highlighting that even then there was always a bit of a caveat).

The reality is that Bill Gate's wife, Linda, pushed him into philanthropy. I think even he admitted as much in that Netflix doc, and once she realized he was just full of shit, dropped him. So, we see yet again, a woman actually living up to her principles (Bezos' ex-wife comes to mind as well), and a man that used her to give the appearance he wasn't a typical piece of shit guy.