Jeff Gordon wins Talladega

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

trmiv

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
Originally posted by: trmiv
Wow a NASCAR thread on ATOT that turned into a NASCAR bashing thread, didn't see that one coming. :roll:

Seriously, I really don't care if people comment on NASCAR being boring--I admit a lot of the races are too long, I haven't watched a full race in a long time--but anyone trying to insinuate that racing on an oval track is easy is an idiot. You chair jockeys would be rather surprised about the amount of skill it takes to compete at a high level on an oval track, especially a superspeedway.
Or the level of technology and teamwork (not to mention money).

No kidding. I wish my race program could have 1/10 the amount of team (it's pretty much just myself, my Dad and one other person) and money behind it as a Nextel/Sprint Cup team! Racing being expensive is a universal truth though. Unless you are a top Cup team owner the best way to make a large fortune in racing is to start with a small fortune!

EDIT: I mean 1/10!

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Wow a NASCAR thread on ATOT that turned into a NASCAR bashing thread, didn't see that one coming. :roll:

Seriously, I really don't care if people comment on NASCAR being boring--I admit a lot of the races are too long, I haven't watched a full race in a long time--but anyone trying to insinuate that racing on an oval track is easy is an idiot. You chair jockeys would be rather surprised about the amount of skill it takes to compete at a high level on an oval track, especially a superspeedway.

No kidding. I wish my race program could have 9/10's the amount of team (it's pretty much just myself, my Dad and one other person) and money behind it as a Nextel/Sprint Cup team! Racing being expensive is a universal truth though. Unless you are a top Cup team owner the best way to make a large fortune in racing is to start with a small fortune!
Doesn't a Seven Post Shaker some of those Cup Teams use to set up a race car cost somewhere around 7 or 8 million dollars? Some of the Techno Nerds here would be surprised to learn about the high tech gadgets that are being used these days in racing, not only FI but NASCAR.

trmiv

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

No kidding. I wish my race program could have 9/10's the amount of team (it's pretty much just myself, my Dad and one other person) and money behind it as a Nextel/Sprint Cup team! Racing being expensive is a universal truth though. Unless you are a top Cup team owner the best way to make a large fortune in racing is to start with a small fortune!
Doesn't a Seven Post Shaker some of those Cup Teams use to set up a race car cost somewhere around 7 or 8 million dollars? Some of the Techno Nerds here would be surprised to learn about the high tech gadgets that are being used these days in racing, not only FI but NASCAR.

Yea they are pricey, a lot of teams don't even own one and usually rent time on them. I'd love to get my race car on one. :)

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001

Yea they are pricey, a lot of teams don't even own one and usually rent time on them. I'd love to get my race car on one. :)
It'd save you a lot of time testing on the track to get your suspension and such set up correctly for the tracks dimension, banking, etc.

How'd you like to be able to recruit from College Football Programs for you Pit Crew like NASCAR does?

trmiv

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

It'd save you a lot of time testing on the track to get your suspension and such set up correctly for the tracks dimension, banking, etc.

How'd you like to be able to recruit from College Football Programs for you Pit Crew like NASCAR does?

Yea it would be awesome to be able to get testing done without testing. The cup teams have invented completely new setup methodologies (coil bind setups, big bar/soft spring setups) that have slowly filtered down to other levels of racing, but it takes a ton of testing to get right. I don't mess with those exotic setups because they take too much time.

Another thing a lot of cup guys have is level surfaces to work with at the track, and the large team it takes to make wholesale changes during testing. For us track time is expensive in both the sense that it is time consuming and takes a lot of money. Plus since we don't often have a level surface to make large scale setup changes at the track, it can be hard to change setup philosophies on the fly like these cup guys do. Sure we can change shocks, springs, cross weight, adjust the panhard bar, trailing arm heights, but these cup guys will alter roll centers, bump steer, camber change curves, etc right at the track.

It really is amazing the amount of technology involved in setting up even an "old technology" race car like a cup car.

WaTaGuMp

Lifer
May 10, 2001
Nascar is chump change compared to F1, a team getting fined 100 million dollars is proof enough. I am glad to have speed channel again now I can watch F1 in surround sound along with Nascar, im all giddy.

LS20

Banned
Jan 22, 2002
Originally posted by: Blackjack200
I agree, these guys make big bucks for a reason, if it was easy everyone would do it.

noone disputed the difficulty of the sport. difficulty, however, has nothing to do with excitement.

on a related note, everything is relative. not a single soul here can throw a football better than rex grossman, but does that mean he should be immune to criticism?

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
Originally posted by: Tizyler
God bless you baby Jesus

I like to think of Jesus as an Ice Dancer, dressed in an all-white jumpsuit, and doing an interpretive dance of my life.

thepd7

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2005
Originally posted by: LS20
I agree, these guys make big bucks for a reason, if it was easy everyone would do it.

noone disputed the difficulty of the sport. difficulty, however, has nothing to do with excitement.

on a related note, everything is relative. not a single soul here can throw a football better than rex grossman, but does that mean he should be immune to criticism?

better is relative. I know not to throw into triple coverage, that makes me at least a little better.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
Originally posted by: WaTaGuMp
Nascar is chump change compared to F1, a team getting fined 100 million dollars is proof enough. I am glad to have speed channel again now I can watch F1 in surround sound along with Nascar, im all giddy.

Meh, McLaren and Ferrari spend too much money. Wasn't it just last year that some Japanese team came in spending a total of 30 million on their own car while Ferrarri spent about 400 million on both of their cars?

AND that small no-name Japanese team (can't remember who they were) came in within the top 5 finishers?

Just because you spend that kind of money doesn't mean it's necessary to spend that kinda money. :)

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001

Yeah we get it already, you don't think much of NASCAR, not that you ever took the time to watch it and learn about it. I use to be like you, ignorantly spouting nonsense about NASCAR and then I got a Home Theater with an HD TV and it was the best thing on in HD and surround sound. After watching a couple of races I was hooked and amazed how exciting it was and how different it was from how I use to perceived it.

LS20

Banned
Jan 22, 2002

Yeah we get it already, you don't think much of NASCAR, not that you ever took the time to watch it and learn about it.

Actually I used to watch tons of NASCAR when Ernie Irvan used to haul around in his #28 Texaco "Taurus". Around that same period, I also listened to Coolio and Puff Daddy.

Then i learned better

Demon-Xanth

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
LS20: Well, I guess it's so boring that open wheel road course drivers like Montoya, Villeneuve, and Carpentier wouldn't even CONSIDER racing in something that crude and if they did their awesome skill would make them just dominate all the other redneck drivers...

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001

Yeah we get it already, you don't think much of NASCAR, not that you ever took the time to watch it and learn about it.

Actually I used to watch tons of NASCAR when Ernie Irvan used to haul around in his #28 Texaco "Taurus". Around that same period, I also listened to Coolio and Puff Daddy.

Then i learned better
How about learning not to be such a punk ass. Some of us like the sport and like talking about it without some pompus wanker such as yourself continously posting how little you think of it over and over.

LS20

Banned
Jan 22, 2002
Originally posted by: Demon-Xanth
LS20: Well, I guess it's so boring that open wheel road course drivers like Montoya, Villeneuve, and Carpentier wouldn't even CONSIDER racing in something that crude and if they did their awesome skill would make them just dominate all the other redneck drivers...

Oh, you mean the decision had absolutely nothing to do with the fact that these drivers were no longer competitive in their respective former series, and that there is much more money in NASCAR for them at this point in their career? oh okay!

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Even though Montoya hasn't yet achieved the success he did in FI and Open Wheel racing he stated that he feels Stock Car Racing is 10 times more exciting as a driver than FI where he said the only real racing was between first and second place.

I like all racing, FI, Cart, Champ and the NHRA but I find the racing in NASCAR to be by far the most exciting as it's more than just the leaders racing each other, there's racing from the front to back.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001

Oh, you mean the decision had absolutely nothing to do with the fact that these drivers were no longer competitive in their respective former series, and that there is much more money in NASCAR for them at this point in their career? oh okay!
Yeah Franchitti was washed up in the IRL where he just won the Championship. Hornish is also washed up though he won the IRL Championship the year before:roll:

LS20

Banned
Jan 22, 2002
Yeah Franchitti was washed up in the IRL where he just won the Championship. Hornish is also washed up though he won the IRL Championship the year before:roll:
Let's see, only JV, PC, and JPM were mentioned, but my response applies to Franchitti and Hornish all the same. How many people can distinguish between IRL and CART? When was the last time you saw Franchitti in a TV commercial?

Nascar is a juggernaut. theyre making more money running in the middle of the pack in nascar than they did winning the irl championship.

Even though Montoya hasn't yet achieved the success he did in FI and Open Wheel racing he stated that he feels Stock Car Racing is 10 times more exciting as a driver than FI where he said the only real racing was between first and second place.
if youre getting millions to race in nascar, and you were the wonderkid brought in from F1 to spark a new fanbase, you would NOT flatter the sport of nascar because.....????? why WOULDNT he say what he said?

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
So what is it LS20, why do you have such a problem with others liking NASCAR, so much so that you feel the need to continously post in this thread how little you think of it?

Gibsons

Lifer
Aug 14, 2001

I think all the engineering (and cheating!) that goes on is very interesting. Considering the money the NASCR teams throw around, they've got to have some of the best automotive minds around working their tails off just to get an extra 0.1% out of those cars. Otoh, I just can't watch a race... ymmv.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
So what is it LS20, why do you have such a problem with others liking NASCAR, so much so that you feel the need to continously post in this thread how little you think of it?

Yea seriously...I hate Nascar, but I'm not going to go into a Nascar thread to bash it. If you don't like it, don't read it, pretty simple.

(note: the only reason I opened this thread was for the hope of hilarious talladega nights references)

LS20

Banned
Jan 22, 2002

Last I checked, it was okay to express opinions on a message board. After the initial post, all subsequent posts are elicited quoted responses. If you dont like to hear my answers, perhaps you should stop querying for them like above ^