Jars of Clay - are they any good?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SacrosanctFiend

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
Originally posted by: CaptnKirk

I care not what their Wiki entry says, what I was pointing out was a time when I lived in Saint Louis and they were, by their own submission,
included in a Local Music release of new and upcoming artists, that had not yet made the 'Big Time'.
They were then mostly unheard of, and thier inclusion in the 3rd volume of Poinessential from the station helped them expand their fan base.

Looking over their present 'info' it looks like all the original members have left.

Also - if you look at some of the other PointEssential releases, a few other bands came up the same way as well:

PointEssential 1

Gravity Kills, Wilco, MU330, the Urge - quite a little treasure hidden in the first release.

All the founding members are still in the band...

And you don't care about accurate information? Flood had crossed over into mainstream by the time that PointEssential album came out, and it was being blared all over the radio, at least in Nashville. I won't deny that PointEssential didn't help them exapand their fan base...any exposure will help do that. However, they went platinum in '96, and I doubt that PointEssential was responsible for that.

So:
They are from the Saint Louis area: No, they are from Greenville, Illinois
They were discovered by a the KPNT - 105.7 radio station putting together an album of local talent music for the 1996 release- Point Essential Volume 3: No, they were discovered in Nashville in '94 and signed by Essential Records in Brentwood, TN.

CaptnKirk

Lifer
Jul 25, 2002
Originally posted by: SacrosanctFiend

I care not what their Wiki entry says, what I was pointing out was a time when I lived in Saint Louis and they were, by their own submission,
included in a Local Music release of new and upcoming artists, that had not yet made the 'Big Time'.
They were then mostly unheard of, and thier inclusion in the 3rd volume of Poinessential from the station helped them expand their fan base.

Looking over their present 'info' it looks like all the original members have left.

Also - if you look at some of the other PointEssential releases, a few other bands came up the same way as well:

PointEssential 1

Gravity Kills, Wilco, MU330, the Urge - quite a little treasure hidden in the first release.

All the founding members are still in the band...

And you don't care about accurate information? Flood had crossed over into mainstream by the time that PointEssential album came out, and it was being blared all over the radio, at least in Nashville. I won't deny that PointEssential didn't help them exapand their fan base...any exposure will help do that. However, they went platinum in '96, and I doubt that PointEssential was responsible for that.

So:
They are from the Saint Louis area: No, they are from Greenville, Illinois
They were discovered by a the KPNT - 105.7 radio station putting together an album of local talent music for the 1996 release- Point Essential Volume 3: No, they were discovered in Nashville in '94 and signed by Essential Records in Brentwood, TN.

OK Smartass, since you know everything.
Greenville, Illinois
46 miles East of Staint Loius Missouri places it well within the Local Region of the Saint Louis Metropolitian area, less than a 1/2 hour drive.
Where do you think that the band used to play when they were maturing their sound - Ethiopia?
Essential Records Vs Point Essential Local Artist CD, Volume 3 - DUH!
Same recording company maybe? - another outlet for the artist to get recognized?
After forming and being noticed in the Saint Louis region, they went to Nasdhville to cut a record in a studio, whopee.
What's the number 19 band in this list of bands from St. Louis
Click on them, it gives even more info, including where they now claim to be from in Tennesee.

And way down, hidden in paragraph 4

. . . students at the soccer park rallied behind the men?s and women?s soccer teams while buzzing their kazoos and anticipating that their kazoo number would be announced as the winner of a Jars of Clay homecoming concert ticket . . .

The 'Locals' consider them to be 'Locals', imagine that, wonder why . . . !

SacrosanctFiend

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
OK Smartass, since you know everything.
Greenville, Illinois
46 miles East of Staint Loius Missouri places it well within the Local Region of the Saint Louis Metropolitian area, less than a 1/2 hour drive.
Where do you think that the band used to play when they were maturing their sound - Ethiopia?
Essential Records Vs Point Essential Local Artist CD, Volume 3 - DUH!
Same recording company maybe? - another outlet for the artist to get recognized?
After forming and being noticed in the Saint Louis region, they went to Nasdhville to cut a record in a studio, whopee.
What's the number 19 band in this list of bands from St. Louis
Click on them, it gives even more info, including where they now claim to be from in Tennesee.

And way down, hidden in paragraph 4

. . . students at the soccer park rallied behind the men?s and women?s soccer teams while buzzing their kazoos and anticipating that their kazoo number would be announced as the winner of a Jars of Clay homecoming concert ticket . . .

The 'Locals' consider them to be 'Locals', imagine that, wonder why . . . !

1.) Just because you are within a Metropolitan region does not mean you are from that city. Otherwise everyone from Brentwood, Franklin, Fairview, Spring Hill, Mt. Juliet, Gallatin, etc. would be from Nashville. What's the point of having these different cities? Not to mention, Greenville is in another state.
2.) Essential Records did not produce Point Essential.
3.) They produced songs for their studio classes and decided to send it to the Gospel Competition in Nashville. They were chosen to compete, they won, caught record labels eyes, and decided to move down to Nashville.
4.) People in Franklin consider them to be local. Now we have a conflict. They are considered local by two different cities, which one is it? Neither. Though they technically fully formed in Franklin when Matt came down from New York to join the band.

DaShen

Lifer
Dec 1, 2000
There first album was really very good! It had a lot of different musical elements and inspirations. There later stuff became very industrialized and washed. The first album's lyrics were also very poetic... later albums lost that inspiration IMO.

Mr Pickles

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
Try some of their older stuff. The one song that comes to mind is Flood. It was hands down my favorite song when I was in youth group, that and the breakfeast song by newsboys. Their olders stuff like that was right around with Christian music took off. I think you'll enjoy it.

rockyct

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2001
Originally posted by: SacrosanctFiend
They are considered to be one of the better 'Christian Rock' groups.
They are from the Saint Louis area.
They were discovered by a the KPNT - 105.7 radio station putting together an album of local talent music for the 1996 release- Point Essential Volume 3
Vintage Vinyl in the Delmar area near the college usually has decent copies for under $ 10 for sale.

They met in college in Illinois, won a competition in Nashville, released a demo back in Illinois, dropped out of school and moved to Nashville, and had their first album released before you say they were discovered. They are one of the better Christian music groups. Stick with their first two CDs, as the rest are average at best.

PointEssential 1

I think you're pushing it to say that they were discovered by a radio station in St. Louis. I knew about them over here in CA by that time. I'm sure that album helped, but there was a lot of other publicity being generated around that time. Also, using Liquid instead of Flood on that album to me seems like they were trying to get airtime on other singles after Flood became so popular.

And like SacrosanctFiend said, almost all of their original members are still a part of the band.

Ruptga

Lifer
Aug 3, 2006
Originally posted by: Gamingphreek
Originally posted by: ADDAvenger
Originally posted by: Gamingphreek
Originally posted by: glenn beck
Switchfoot is the only decent one

Switchfoot is barely considered Christian Rock. They are much much too mainstream.

Jars of Clay is a very good artist, and was one of the first Christian Rock bands. Carry Me is probably one of- if not their most famous song.

If you're looking for others, I would say look at Casting Crowns, David Crowder, and Jeremy Camp. Kutless and Skillet are good but are a harder rock. Hillsong and Chris Tomlin are absolutely amazing but are more worship oriented.

Guys, if you don't care for Christian Rock, or don't have anything to contribute to this thread than don't sit here and create arguments and insult the artists (or rather their beliefs).

-Kevin

Switchfoot is Christian, they don't have to say "Jesus" in every song to be fit the bill you know ;)

OP, what kind of music do you like, I mean I like some Jeremy Camp, but I also like Hawk Nelson, Kutless, Thousand Foot Krutch, Project 86, and Demon Hunter; what general spectrum of music are you looking for?

Nor did I ever say you had to say Jesus every other word for it to be Christian.

Switchfoot is widely not considered to be a Christian band. They themselves have said they are not Christian Rock. The band members are Christian, but they do not want to feel boxed into one genre. While that is good, to me that is a lame excuse not to where your faith on your shoulders.

-Kevin

I think it's a good way to get the same message out to a wider audience :p either way, Switchfoot is at least decent.