Jars of Clay - are they any good?

BrokenVisage

Lifer
Jan 29, 2005
24,770
12
81
I remember liking that one song they had a long time ago and was thinking about getting some new stuff to see if it's any good too. Can anyone speak on the quality of their last couple CDs?
 

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
40,730
670
126
Much Afraid is a good CD even for non-xtians like me. The god-fearin' doesn't get in the way of making good music.
 

SacrosanctFiend

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
4,269
0
0
Originally posted by: CaptnKirk
They are considered to be one of the better 'Christian Rock' groups.
They are from the Saint Louis area.
They were discovered by a the KPNT - 105.7 radio station putting together an album of local talent music for the 1996 release- Point Essential Volume 3
Vintage Vinyl in the Delmar area near the college usually has decent copies for under $ 10 for sale.

They met in college in Illinois, won a competition in Nashville, released a demo back in Illinois, dropped out of school and moved to Nashville, and had their first album released before you say they were discovered. They are one of the better Christian music groups. Stick with their first two CDs, as the rest are average at best.
 

Ruptga

Lifer
Aug 3, 2006
10,247
207
106
I really like some of their songs, though I'm afraid I'm getting the names and artists mixed up in my head :eek: Carry Me (dead man) has been played a lot lately, and while it may or may not be any indication of how the rest of their last album is, I'd check it out. Google their website, check out purevolume, myspace, etc, you should find out pretty quickly if you like them or not.
 

Gamingphreek

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
11,679
0
81
Originally posted by: glenn beck
Switchfoot is the only decent one

Switchfoot is barely considered Christian Rock. They are much much too mainstream.

Jars of Clay is a very good artist, and was one of the first Christian Rock bands. Carry Me is probably one of- if not their most famous song.

If you're looking for others, I would say look at Casting Crowns, David Crowder, and Jeremy Camp. Kutless and Skillet are good but are a harder rock. Hillsong and Chris Tomlin are absolutely amazing but are more worship oriented.

Guys, if you don't care for Christian Rock, or don't have anything to contribute to this thread than don't sit here and create arguments and insult the artists (or rather their beliefs).

-Kevin
 

Quasmo

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2004
9,631
1
76
I think I have a guitar pic from one of their concerts a long time ago (~10 years).
 

Ruptga

Lifer
Aug 3, 2006
10,247
207
106
Originally posted by: Gamingphreek
Originally posted by: glenn beck
Switchfoot is the only decent one

Switchfoot is barely considered Christian Rock. They are much much too mainstream.

Jars of Clay is a very good artist, and was one of the first Christian Rock bands. Carry Me is probably one of- if not their most famous song.

If you're looking for others, I would say look at Casting Crowns, David Crowder, and Jeremy Camp. Kutless and Skillet are good but are a harder rock. Hillsong and Chris Tomlin are absolutely amazing but are more worship oriented.

Guys, if you don't care for Christian Rock, or don't have anything to contribute to this thread than don't sit here and create arguments and insult the artists (or rather their beliefs).

-Kevin

Switchfoot is Christian, they don't have to say "Jesus" in every song to be fit the bill you know ;)

OP, what kind of music do you like, I mean I like some Jeremy Camp, but I also like Hawk Nelson, Kutless, Thousand Foot Krutch, Project 86, and Demon Hunter; what general spectrum of music are you looking for?

 

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
70,096
5,639
126
Rez/Resurrection Band is still the best Christian Rock band to ever exist. Not only were they great Musically, but they put their money where their mouth was.

Runners up: Daniel Amos, Daniel Band, Jerusalem, and Servant.
 

Gamingphreek

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
11,679
0
81
Originally posted by: ADDAvenger
Originally posted by: Gamingphreek
Originally posted by: glenn beck
Switchfoot is the only decent one

Switchfoot is barely considered Christian Rock. They are much much too mainstream.

Jars of Clay is a very good artist, and was one of the first Christian Rock bands. Carry Me is probably one of- if not their most famous song.

If you're looking for others, I would say look at Casting Crowns, David Crowder, and Jeremy Camp. Kutless and Skillet are good but are a harder rock. Hillsong and Chris Tomlin are absolutely amazing but are more worship oriented.

Guys, if you don't care for Christian Rock, or don't have anything to contribute to this thread than don't sit here and create arguments and insult the artists (or rather their beliefs).

-Kevin

Switchfoot is Christian, they don't have to say "Jesus" in every song to be fit the bill you know ;)

OP, what kind of music do you like, I mean I like some Jeremy Camp, but I also like Hawk Nelson, Kutless, Thousand Foot Krutch, Project 86, and Demon Hunter; what general spectrum of music are you looking for?

Nor did I ever say you had to say Jesus every other word for it to be Christian.

Switchfoot is widely not considered to be a Christian band. They themselves have said they are not Christian Rock. The band members are Christian, but they do not want to feel boxed into one genre. While that is good, to me that is a lame excuse not to where your faith on your shoulders.

-Kevin
 

drum

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2003
6,810
4
81
Originally posted by: DaveSimmons
Much Afraid is a good CD even for non-xtians like me. The god-fearin' doesn't get in the way of making good music.

completely agree.
check out the audio stream of RadioU

definitely some good music there
 

rockyct

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2001
6,656
32
91
Originally posted by: daniel1113
Their self-titled album is fantastic, but I'm not a big fan of their newer stuff.

Have you checked out Good Monster's yet? It sounds very different from their previous albums and is the closest thing to a "rock" album that they have had. For the record, it actually didn't qualify as religious album according to the Grammy association.

 

daniel1113

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003
6,448
0
0
Originally posted by: rockyct
Originally posted by: daniel1113
Their self-titled album is fantastic, but I'm not a big fan of their newer stuff.

Have you checked out Good Monster's yet? It sounds very different from their previous albums and is the closest thing to a "rock" album that they have had. For the record, it actually didn't qualify as religious album according to the Grammy association.

Yeah, I have all of their albums, and none come close to their self-titled album.
 

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
28,651
100
91
Jars of Clay and Third Day are probably my two favorite Christian bands. Jars of Clay has put out some great music.
 

foghorn67

Lifer
Jan 3, 2006
11,885
53
91
I don't mind JoC, not offensive with suckyness.
There was a band called Mortal. The only Christian band I liked. I think the problem is most Christian bands that get airtime aren't in the genre I'm into.
Creed is in the genre I like, but they suck.
 

CaptnKirk

Lifer
Jul 25, 2002
10,053
0
71
Originally posted by: SacrosanctFiend
Originally posted by: CaptnKirk
They are considered to be one of the better 'Christian Rock' groups.
They are from the Saint Louis area.
They were discovered by a the KPNT - 105.7 radio station putting together an album of local talent music for the 1996 release- Point Essential Volume 3
Vintage Vinyl in the Delmar area near the college usually has decent copies for under $ 10 for sale.

They met in college in Illinois, won a competition in Nashville, released a demo back in Illinois, dropped out of school and moved to Nashville, and had their first album released before you say they were discovered. They are one of the better Christian music groups. Stick with their first two CDs, as the rest are average at best.


I care not what their Wiki entry says, what I was pointing out was a time when I lived in Saint Louis and they were, by their own submission,
included in a Local Music release of new and upcoming artists, that had not yet made the 'Big Time'.
They were then mostly unheard of, and thier inclusion in the 3rd volume of Poinessential from the station helped them expand their fan base.

Looking over their present 'info' it looks like all the original members have left.

Also - if you look at some of the other PointEssential releases, a few other bands came up the same way as well:

PointEssential 1

Gravity Kills, Wilco, MU330, the Urge - quite a little treasure hidden in the first release.