Ivy Bridge or wait for Haswell

Discussion in 'CPUs and Overclocking' started by Shephard, Nov 3, 2012.

1. ehume

ehume Golden Member

And after you buy that new GPU, get an SSD. Only after you have upgraded those two will you know if you even need to upgrade your CPU.

Getting an SSD is like going from dial-up to cable.

2. cytg111

cytg111 Platinum Member

For a budget gamer? Forget it. Wont bring him more fps. SSD's are a luxury .. a damned fine one, but none the less a luxury.

3. 2is

2is Diamond Member

Agreed, if you're goal is in-game performance, SSD should be the last item on the list behind CPU/GPU. If you're looking for overall system snappiness, it should be 1st on the list.

4. Ferzerp

Ferzerp Diamond Member

Haswell is a complete unknown. You can always use this argument when buying PC gear, but until a product is out, any performance estimates are speculation.

Intel *could* pull another Netburst. It isn't likely, but it is possible. If IB is worth the price to you today, if it were me, I'd go ahead and buy.

5. Shephard

Shephard Senior member

ok Ferzerp that is a very good point. Like I said I would have to wait for good motherboards to come out and see the reviews as well. So it could be 8 months or more.

My only thing against Ivy Bridge is that it's the last CPU for that socket.

What suggestions do you guys have for video card, case, and power supply.

I know CPU 3570k is good. I also know Samsung low voltage 8 gb ram is the best.

Also Hyper 212 Evo is best cooler.

also how long is the Black Friday and is the Cybermonday cheaper?

thanks all

6. 2is

2is Diamond Member

Black Friday is one day (Friday after thanksgiving) cyber Monday is also one day (Monday after thanks giving) prices are comparable but Black Friday is usuall a little bigger as far as the variety of items. That said, there will be good deal all the way through to New Years.

7. Shephard

Shephard Senior member

you mean everyday there will be sales? or just Friday, Monday, and what other days specifically?

also I forgot motherboard. I think the most popular is asrock z77 extreme 4 but others have said MSI makes the best z77 now.

8. magomago

magomago Lifer

I wouldn't wait. Once Haswell comes, people will say to wait for Broadwell. From all indications - Haswell may give you another 10% or so, but the big draw is that it draws less power. This is a boon for laptops, but the relevance is somewhat muted for Desktop PCs. IT sounds like you are building a Desktop PC, so consider that.

If you find an awesome price/bundle on a 3570k, then you should absolutely jump for that. Here another way of looking at it:

Waiting for Haswell
    PRO+ Get maybe 10% IPC
    CON- Wait half a year (assuming no delays) where you could be gaming
    CON- Probably pay a little more since bundles won't be guaranteed

Seems really straight forward. Even if you only save 40 bucks on a bundle, I feel its irrelevent when compared to the fact that you'll be waiting for another 6 months.

What I would also do for sure is get a videocard.

9. cytg111

cytg111 Platinum Member

Right on the money.
    I am waiting for haswell cause I am curious as to what TX brings to my table (doing concurrent code stuff), maybe even avx2, so it's a special boat to be in.. and unless you find your self with those special needs/curiosities .. dont dwell on it, get IVB now.

10. 2is

2is Diamond Member

Friday and Monday specifically but there will be other sales through out the rest of the year just by it being the holiday season.

11. magomago

magomago Lifer

Yeah I'm surprised we needed a discussion this long lol :thumbsup:

12. Shephard

Shephard Senior member

ok thanks should I make a specific topic asking what parts I need. I don't want to spam the forum.

13. tweakboy

tweakboy Diamond Member

If your using 1680x1050 games will fly. You need more CPU juice when you go higher resolution. Also your GPU should already fly at high def let alone your res. IMO your in my hole, wait it out until 6 core 12 thread is affordable. Ivy will do Sandy will do Haswell is now postponed it looks like until 2014. That is 18 months until Haswell. They are not in a hurry as their already pounding AMD. Too bad, I thought Haswell was a Q1 or Q2 2013 release. Looks like no Haswell until Dec which I doubt, but 2014 now

14. cytg111

cytg111 Platinum Member

Dude .. not one of your more coherent moments .. dont post'n pipe' at the same time dude ..

15. Shephard

Shephard Senior member

ok I saw there was sticky in the other forum so if admin wants to lock this i am ok with it.

maybe you guys can suggest specific parts in that thread I don't want to spam this forum since i want to know about all parts now just not cpu.

16. CHADBOGA

CHADBOGA Golden Member

I was going to wait for Haswell myself to upgrade my i7 860 system, but when my hard disk died, I used that as an excuse to get a whole new system, so I could keep my i7 860 as my back up system.

Anyway, I ended up getting a 3570K and even though I am not a big one for overclocking, I have it running on a mild overclock so that it is running at 4.0Ghz.

Everything is so blazingly quick, I can't imagine when I will next need to upgrade my CPU, probably not for at least 4 more years.

The problem with waiting for Haswell, is that Intel could yet delay it further, as they don't have AMD chomping down on them.

Keep in mind, that you have to make sure your motherboard has the right chipset to support overclocking, if that is part of your goals.

17. Shephard

Shephard Senior member

yes overclock CPU. I have never overclocked ram or GPU before. I don't see what point there is to overclocking ram.

I heard asrock z77 extreme 4 is the best for the price but some people say MSI makes the best z77 board right now.

18. tweakboy

tweakboy Diamond Member

WRONG!

Ive had my Q6 since 2007. Usually @ 3.7Ghz 463bus . Ive had a 8800 GT then to 460 1GB then 560 Ti ,,,,,,,, I play @ 1080p and vsync on games are stuck @ 60fps and its smooth,, no slow downs , plus I use 8x CSAA FXAA and 16xAF and high quality ,,, and in game settings I put on high, or default... Only it cant handle ULTRA in BF3 or CRYSIS... which is ok. other then that it flys...

2.4Ghz stock is slow. Man windows was slower at that speed, soo with this used P5k I can only touch the BUS lol thats it, everything else on auto

Honestly you don't require anything above a quad intel processor , be it 2007 or 2012 for games. They dont understand HT for one thing, their not 64 bit except some,,, and will use all your 8 HT cores but not in the smartest of way. All these games I get 60fps avg. with above settings.
    [​IMG]

19. Denithor

Denithor Diamond Member

I'll throw in another vote for upgrading GPU today and waiting for Haswell for CPU upgrade later. For gaming, GPU >>> CPU. Therefore bang for your buck is much higher for GPU upgrade. I'd suggest a 7850/7870 or GTX 660 depending on your budget.

Now, one question - why don't you OC your Q6600? 3GHz is nearly guaranteed on those chips, some will hit 3.2-3.6GHz with a little work. Invest in a $20-30 cooler and crank up your speed. Combined with a new GPU your games will run much, much better.

20. Shephard

Shephard Senior member

my motherboard is micro so no overclocking.

I thought clockspeed does not matter only cpu architecture.

21. 2is

2is Diamond Member

If clock speed didn't matter everything would run at 100MHz to save power.

#46 2is, Nov 3, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  22. toyota

toyota Lifer

plenty of games will be cpu limited long before using 95% of his cpu as they need fast cores not just three or more. ONLY way to reliably check is to simply lower the resolution and if performance goes up than the cpu is not the main limitation there.

23. Shephard

Shephard Senior member

no I understand it matters but someone said to me even if you overclock q6600 to 3ghz it still can't do good in new games because architecture is old.

example like a core 2 duo vs a pentium d.

24. toyota

toyota Lifer

bad example. the Q6600 is clocked pretty low and is not terrible clock for clock so overclocking can make a massive difference.

25. 2is

2is Diamond Member

To the OP, the above is about the worst advise I've heard on this form. Interestingly enough, most of the other terrible advise is from the same author.