I've settled on my next car....Acura RSX..NEED inputs from RSX owners please.

CTrain

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2001
After driving a 99 Si for 3.5 yrs and stolen twice, I've been thinking about getting a more conversative car but I just can't do it....one word boring.

So I've narrowed it to
1) tC
2) New Civic (Si maybe)
3) RSX

tC- Like the car..love the extra cargo...milage isn't too great for a 4-banger but I won't be getting this car as Its more like $17.5K + TTL.
You can't bargain on this car the used ones are just as expensive

Civic base or Si- I love the styling...like pretty much everything about it.
This will also cost me >$17K.
Its a true coupe so no extra cargo space and its brand new so price will be a premium.
Plus I'll have to wait at least till next year for a Si(I know its available in Dec but trying to get one will be tough)

RSX- What I don't I like about this car....NOTHING !!
I always thought insurance would be high but its not that much more than the 99 Si I had.
I would be much smarter now as having full coverage and park it in the garage.

Of course I've always wanted a Type-S but with gas prices and such I'm having a hrd time deciding on a Base or Type S.

This Type-S
I can probably get this car for around $13.5K
Original owner.
Got the big Type-R wing that I like.
He does have the original wheels for the car.
200/141 hp/tq
Very good MPG for a car with that much power.
You can also flash the ECU for an additional 20-30 HP.
I absolutely love this car...leaning toward it.

This Base
I can probably get this car for $12K.
Original owner also(own by a female)
Great gas milage 27/33
Still plenty of power for an econo car 160/141 hp/tq
I love this car too and I can get it for $1.5 to $2K cheaper.
Cheaper on the insurance too.

Decision decision decision.

RiDE

Platinum Member
Jul 8, 2004
There's a Type-R sticker in that first one. Meaning he probably drove it like he actually had one.

The base one will probably be in better condition.
Probably not beat on by your typical rice lover.

Also isn't the only major difference between the cars the 6 speed gearbox? Don't they have the same engine with the same torque (the number that really matters)?
Do you really need that extra gear to drive 100+ mph on public streets?

CTrain

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2001
Originally posted by: SampSon

Also isn't the only major difference between the cars the 6 speed gearbox? Don't they have the same engine with the same torque (the number that really matters)?

Thats exactly what I'm thinking and thats why I've been thinking more and more toward the base RSX.
Its enough power and its not like I like to street race or even go to the track.
But the thought of having the power when I need is tempting especially if if you get the ECU flashed through Hondata.

CTrain

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2001
Originally posted by: RiDE
There's a Type-R sticker in that first one. Meaning he probably drove it like he actually had one.

No the car is in very good condition and hes the original owner.
I had all kind of crap on my Si too but I drove that car like a grandma.

sniperruff

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002
$15k is a bit steep for a 50k type S. and yes if it looks riced out he probably drives like one too. but i gotta admit that is not too bad looking. however i prefer everything stock with performance upgrades.

Sheepathon

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2003
How about the new Civic SI. It's essentially an RSX-S that's cheaper, doesn't have leather seats and an acura badge.

CTrain

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2001
Originally posted by: sniperruff
$15k is a bit steep for a 50k type S. and yes if it looks riced out he probably drives like one too. but i gotta admit that is not too bad looking. however i prefer everything stock with performance upgrades.

Read more carefully....I can get it for about $13.5K.
If you can find better prices in the 32825 area...point it out to me.

The thing is a totally stock RSX does not look good.
First thing I would do is lower the car and add a wing to it so those 2 things would easily cost me $700++

Originally posted by: CTrain

Thats exactly what I'm thinking and thats why I've been thinking more and more toward the base RSX.
Its enough power and its not like I like to street race or even go to the track.
But the thought of having the power when I need is tempting especially if if you get the ECU flashed through Hondata.
There isn't any more power. Just a different gearing ratio. The ability to maintain that torque through higher RPMs (or something to that effect).

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Cramped, mediocre gas mileage, high insurance, overpriced, overrated, and underperforming.

CTrain

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2001
Originally posted by: Sheepathon
How about the new Civic SI. It's essentially an RSX-S that's cheaper, doesn't have leather seats and an acura badge.

Geez man, I wish people would actually read the post before replying.

I love everything about the Civic Si but I'm not buying a NEW RSX vs a NEW Si here.

1) The Si won't be available till Dec or more likely next year.
2) The price will be at a premium

I'm looking the buy a USED RSX here and therefore the tC and 2006 Civic are not available.

sniperruff

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002
Originally posted by: Vic
Cramped, mediocre gas mileage, high insurance, overpriced, overrated, and underperforming.

it is one of the best FF cars. well the integra type-R at least.

CTrain

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2001

1) I'm not 6' here
2) 27/33 is mediocre ?? Even the Type S get good milage
3) Not much more than my old Si at all.
4) Overpriced for a new car YES....for a used car ...NO
5) Overrated as in what ???
6) underperforming compare to what car ??

I'm speciafically looking for a coupe here...please don't compare 4-doors to coupes.

RbSX

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2002
After driving a 99 Si for 3.5 yrs and stolen twice, I've been thinking about getting a more conversative car but I just can't do it....one word boring.

So I've narrowed it to
1) tC
2) New Civic (Si maybe)
3) RSX

tC- Like the car..love the extra cargo...milage isn't too great for a 4-banger but I won't be getting this car as Its more like $17.5K + TTL.

Its a true coupe so no extra cargo space and its brand new so price will be a premium.
Plus I'll have to wait at least till next year for a Si(I know its available in Dec but trying to get one will be tough)

I always thought insurance would be high but its not that much more than the 99 Si I had.

Of course I've always wanted a Type-S but with gas prices and such I'm having a hrd time deciding on a Base or Type S.

This Type-S
Original owner.
200/141 hp/tq

This Base
Great gas milage 27/33

I have the RSX Base, I love it. The RSX-S is also a great car, I know plenty of guys with them.

If you have questions, I suggest you check out Club RSX Forums

You can get fairly upgraded cars for the prices you're lookking at.

freebee

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2000
MINI Cooper!!!, Its the rsx acura should have built. You can put a type-r sticker on it if you want.

RbSX

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2002

There isn't any more power. Just a different gearing ratio. The ability to maintain that torque through higher RPMs (or something to that effect).

Wrong, they have different engines.

The RSX-S has the k20a2 Engine while the Base has the k20a...

The Base has better gearing ratios for autocross.

Edit: Argh the OP is wrong too. The ECU by Hondata is great, but you have to hit up the basics i/h/e before you even think about hondata.

Edit: And if you're thinking of upgrading for speed, you may as well save your money and go for the base now.. and go forced induction for about 4k later on. Naturally aspirated upgrades can only do so much.

RbSX

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2002

Tell that to car & drivers affordable sports car article in their last issue.

CTrain

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2001
Originally posted by: RyanSengara

So I've narrowed it to
1) tC
2) New Civic (Si maybe)
3) RSX

This Type-S
Original owner.
200/141 hp/tq

This Base
Great gas milage 27/33

I have the RSX Base, I love it. The RSX-S is also a great car, I know plenty of guys with them.

If you have questions, I suggest you check out Club RSX Forums

You can get fairly upgraded cars for the prices you're lookking at.

I've been a member for a while :)
Been fascianted with the RSX for a while.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: RyanSengara
Tell that to car & drivers affordable sports car article in their last issue.
C&D is hardly a reliable source. Do you ever actually read their "comparos"? They frequently pick as the winner the car that actually lost in the scoring. Or they add some fictional item like "fun factor" and then weight it heavily enough so that the preferred car (usually a Honda) wins. Even better is when they pick a particular manufacturers contractor to do the judging and then act like he's a neutral expert and neglect to mention his conflict of interest (as they did with Millen in their original STi vs. Evo test, "New-Wave Slingshots," June 2003).

CTrain

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2001
Originally posted by: shelaby
i like the type-s, but those wheels are hideous

Once again, if you read the original post, he does have the original wheels for them.