I've always wondered why people are *absolutely* incapable of admitting that they are wrong on the intarwebs...

dug777

Lifer
Oct 13, 2004
I'm super serial here, people never ever seem capable of seeing the other side of an argument or, heaven forbid, admitting that they are wrong...but i have to assume they don't try the same trick with their wife, or their boss, since most of them claim to still have said wife/job...

My somewhat cynical conclusion is that the intarwebs is their only chance to be 'the man', which apparently means 'behave like argumentative kids who cannot admit they could possibly be wrong', and that they actually act like rational human beings in their interactions with people IRL...

Anyway, that wasted a few minutes of study, so i'll get back to it now ;)

giantpinkbunnyhead

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2005
LOL 19,000+ posts and you just now realized this?

I totally agree with ya. It's easy to be a big talker behind a computer screen! Keyboard warriors FTW!

Beev

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2006
Originally posted by: Umberger
that's not true. you're wrong.

;)

You're both wrong, and I am right. I am always right and I will beat up anyone who doesn't think so at the playground at school at 5.

Coquito

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2003
You talk big tough guy, but let's see what happens when you get off that isolated continent of yours.

/grinds teeth

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: dug777
I'm super serial here, people never ever seem capable of seeing the other side of an argument or, heaven forbid, admitting that they are wrong...but i have to assume they don't try the same trick with their wife, or their boss, since most of them claim to still have said wife/job...

My somewhat cynical conclusion is that the intarwebs is their only chance to be 'the man', which apparently means 'behave like argumentative kids who cannot admit they could possibly be wrong', and that they actually act like rational human beings in their interactions with people IRL...

Is this a call out of Amused?

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000

Pot, meet kettle.

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
Lay off the freaking internet memes. You started out being facetious, but your continued use of them makes you look like a damned moron.

imported_Devine

Golden Member
Oct 10, 2006
Originally posted by: Sraaz

;)

You're both wrong, and I am right. I am always right and I will beat up anyone who doesn't think so at the playground at school at 5.

Oh you wanna go? Im 6'9 274lb and I know Kung fu, I'll be waiting for ya :p

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
Originally posted by: Devine

;)

I thought CorporateRecreation ripped your arms off?

imported_Devine

Golden Member
Oct 10, 2006
Originally posted by: oldsmoboat
Originally posted by: Devine

;)

I thought CorporateRecreation ripped your arms off?

Oh he did, but I grew them back, Im just that bada$$

Pastore

Diamond Member
Feb 9, 2000
Because there are no consequences for being an idiot on the web, whereas there are many in real life for doing the same.

dug777

Lifer
Oct 13, 2004
Originally posted by: oldsmoboat

Pot, meet kettle.

I'm quite capable of admitting i was wrong, both IRL and on here ;)

EDIT: so careful in fact that i usually add a disclaimer of 'i'm happy to be proven otherwise' when i make a claim i'm not 100% on in Video ;)

meltdown75

Lifer
Nov 17, 2004
obligatory "it's only the internet" reply :p

The thing is though... there is no real accountability for most of the statements or arguments being made. You can fire something off willy nilly and it might be the biggest troll statement in the history of teh interwebs, and people will forget about it over time. You can jump into another thread and keep on spouting off. IRL I think people remember what you say & do to a greater extent and you can develop more of a reputation.

Also, arguing is entertainment for a lot of sad people out there. It's low-level interaction, but it gets users to actually acknowledge their existence, so it becomes fun. I think when choosing an obviously controversial stance and getting a big rise out of people is the most exciting thing about the internet / forums to some people. They don't get out enough, or not at all, and their social network consists of what you're looking at on your monitor right now.

Internet trolls FTW?

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
I'll admit if I'm wrong. It has only happened a few times though. :) What can I say, what's right is right.

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
Originally posted by: meltdown75
obligatory "it's only the internet" reply :p

The thing is though... there is no real accountability for most of the statements or arguments being made. You can fire something off willy nilly and it might be the biggest troll statement in the history of teh interwebs, and people will forget about it over time. You can jump into another thread and keep on spouting off. IRL I think people remember what you say & do to a greater extent and you can develop more of a reputation.

Also, arguing is entertainment for a lot of sad people out there. It's low-level interaction, but it gets users to actually acknowledge their existence, so it becomes fun. I think when choosing an obviously controversial stance and getting a big rise out of people is the most exciting thing about the internet / forums to some people. They don't get out enough, or not at all, and their social network consists of what you're looking at on your monitor right now.

Internet trolls FTW?

are you talking about dave?