It's time to end Red state welfare.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: Fern
Originally posted by: eskimospy

That idea seriously neglects the give and take of lawmaking between the House and Senate. If you have two bodies that make laws together, one body in which small states are overrepresented per citizen and another body where all states are equally represented per citizen, it is only reasonable to think that the eventual bias will be more spending per citizen for the small states.

Come on, there are quite a few blue states that are "over-represented". Look at the map of the NE (RI, Vermont etc).

Plus, I'd like to know where the big corps are HQ'd that have their opertaions in rural areas. Could any be a blue state?

Fern

So what? A few exceptions don't change reality. Yes there are a few overrepresented blue states in the Northeast, there are far more overrepresented red states in the Midwest. As for where the HQ's are located, I'm sure there are plenty of them in blue states. It still doesn't change the facts of where federal subsidies are going.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Originally posted by: Jaskalas
You?re telling me waitresses make less than $2/hr in red states?

I know for a fact I was surprized to learn the differences in wages/home prices/etc in Alabama compared to California. Maybe that is an unfair comparison though, California being as bankrupt as it is.

The red states I know are far more expensive than the blue states I know.

In MOST of the USA, waitresses and others whose jobs historically include tips get $2.13/hour plus tips. It's only in the civilized parts of America that believe they are entitled to full minimum wage plus tips.
Oddly enough, I've been to restaurants across the country, and in most of them, (comparing chain restaurants) prices are almost exactly the same from state to state...

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Originally posted by: GenHoth

Seriously? You're talking about cost of living and thats what you've seen? New York, Chicago, LA Less expensive than say, Manhattan, Kansas?

I'm going to quit before I tell you up is down today. I mixed up the partisan terms.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Since we have been giving the Red staters huge subsidies for many years, I say its time to get them off the dole. If they can't be self sufficient in say, 5 years, just like individuals on welfare, cut them OFF.
Ok, let's follow your proposal. In addition to cutting them off, let us also scale wages in the Red States to reflect those commanded by the white collar industries concentrated in the Blue States.

Of course, this will in turn reflect in the cost of goods and services provided by the Red States to the Blue States, mostly in the form of agricultural and assembly line manufactured goods...the cost of distribution centers...the entire supply chain that relies on the relative low cost of operations in Red States as opposed to Blue States.

You cannot play geography in defining federal "welfare." Every American pays into the federal bucket, and the government in turn distributes those tax revenues towards programs that arguably benefit our society as a whole.

We fought a Civil War once over this "us vs. them" mentality.

So California wouldn't HAVE a budget problem if they just received their fair share of the money they pay the feds.
No, California would still have a budget problem because Sacramento politicians spend money like drunken sailors on shore leave.

As it is they are taking the blue state money and using it to subsidize the stealing of blue state jobs. Heck, if it weren't for the Red state leechers life would be good.
What are these jobs you speak of. I know of several major corporations that have their HQ in Blue States and their operations in Red States...the HQs benefit from the proximity to institutions of higher learning, and recruit for positions like Sales, Marketing, Operations, Management, etc...with educated executives in their Ivory Towers in LA and Seattle and Boston and NY making decisions that impact the assembly line worker in rural America.

I have spent time on the factory floor in rural America and in the corporate offices of the Blue States...your partisan spin on this analysis is quite evident.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: Mxylplyx
Are you trying to steal the crown from Dave for the biggest nutjob on this board? You are certainly making gains.

actually Moonbeam makes a whole lot od sense....
talk about nutjobs have you looked in the mirror lately??

Specop 007

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
Originally posted by: Thump553
Originally posted by: Specop 007
What the hell..... :confused:

First Democrats want to raise taxes to give to the poor, and now they bitch about it?!

Oh Christ, the irony is killing me.

Heres a thought..... Maybe those dumbass Democrats should have put more thought into those social programs BEFORE ramming them down everyones throat rather then bitch about it afterwards.

As they say, you sleep in the bed you make. Enjoy it. :)

You totally distort the original post, and I don't think it is merely a matter of you didn't comprehend it. The premise of the original post, and the study it cites, is that Republican states are getting a disproportionate amount of the federal "largess." The people receiving the benefit of public monies are those that claim a philisophical repugnance of the "welfare state." Address THAT issue.

I have noticed this time and time again, particularly among businessmen railing against welfare in one breath while in the next seeking tax breaks, subsidies, etc. from the government for their business.

Thats horseshit and you know it. NO ONE is gonna turn down free money. If you found $50 bucks on the ground would you walk away and hope the owner comes for it or pick it up?

Just because we dont want the money available doesnt mean we wont take it if its there to be had.

So the real issue is the Democrats wanted all these social programs and now want to bitch about where the money went.
The opposite side is the Republicans didnt want the programs but since they are available why not use them?

Granted, theres a whoooole bunch of generalizations there but if its going to come down to a simple "Red vs Blue" then generalize I shall.

Addressing the issue in other ways is difficult as the link in the OP doesnt load for me. Without knowing where the money is spent I really cant answer any questions on it.

But I'll take a stab with some assumptions and such.

In regards to ag subsidies, people sure like to bitch about all that money the farmers get. Well, trust me when I say this, farmers have been getting a raw deal for decades. Not years, decades. Now, how many times in recent years have you heard everyone bitch about the price of food. Milk has went up for example, and quite a bit. You get 2 choices my friend. Subsidies or high priced food. Subsidies keep a small portion of the populance bitching. High priced food, EVERYONE bitches.

Same with gas prices. People like to bitch about all that money Big Oil gets, then again they probably dont realize how costly it is to go get that oil. I certainly dont see any lines forming for people to go drill their own oil, do you?

Now again, thats just 2 aspects. Without seeing where the money is spent its difficult to address the issue.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
There is soooo much wrong with the logic in the OP. Anyone think I should take the time to correct it?

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Same with gas prices. People like to bitch about all that money Big Oil gets, then again they probably dont realize how costly it is to go get that oil. I certainly dont see any lines forming for people to go drill their own oil, do you?

When a departing oil CEO gets a $400 million paycheck, you're not going to convince people the oil co's are in dire straights or are short on R&D funds.

SilthDraeth

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2003
Maybe the majority of the country is Red, even though it is the Blues that yell the loudest.

If liberals spent more time focusing on their own life instead of worrying about everyone else's they would be happier.

Mxylplyx

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2007
Originally posted by: JEDIYoda
Are you trying to steal the crown from Dave for the biggest nutjob on this board? You are certainly making gains.

Who the hell said anything about Moonbeam??

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003

That idea seriously neglects the give and take of lawmaking between the House and Senate. If you have two bodies that make laws together, one body in which small states are overrepresented per citizen and another body where all states are equally represented per citizen, it is only reasonable to think that the eventual bias will be more spending per citizen for the small states.

Come on, there are quite a few blue states that are "over-represented". Look at the map of the NE (RI, Vermont etc).

Plus, I'd like to know where the big corps are HQ'd that have their opertaions in rural areas. Could any be a blue state?

Fern

So what? A few exceptions don't change reality. Yes there are a few overrepresented blue states in the Northeast, there are far more overrepresented red states in the Midwest. As for where the HQ's are located, I'm sure there are plenty of them in blue states. It still doesn't change the facts of where federal subsidies are going.

Really?

I'd like to see how they've allocated them.

HQ in a blue state (NYC, Chicago etc), likely incorporated in Delaware (blue state) and (non-managerial) farming/mining operations in a red state. How to allocate?

Oh, and if the corporation is incorporated in Delaware, I'll bet the federal tax revenue is credited to a blue state (Del) while the "payout" is listed under a red state. (Federal tax returns do NOT contain data on allocation of income within the USA).

As they say, they are lies, damn lies and statistics".

I can't seem to get to any real data on this. I wouldn't be surprised if SS and/or medicare is in the mix. Work in the Blue state, retire to the red state. Red state gets hit with the "payout". Improper matching of revenue and disbursement etc.

Interstates/roads? Blue state owned company needs to get it's products to blue state customers. Yep, gotta build a highway therough the (rural) red states. Of course that's more highway money per capita, and if it's mountainous terrian more experensive per foot too.

Of course, the red state people have the "luxury" of having their land swiped by the fed gov via eminent domain to build the road or highway.

Fern

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Originally posted by: sirjonk

When a departing oil CEO gets a $400 million paycheck, you're not going to convince people the oil co's are in dire straights or are short on R&D funds.

Yes they are making record profits.

But they arent the cause of oil prices.

Its simple free market supply and demand, thank China and India for high gas prices.

SilthDraeth

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2003
Originally posted by: JEDIYoda

Who the hell said anything about Moonbeam??

You didn't specifically state who you were referring to, so JediYoda took it to mean moonbeam. I took it that you were addressing techs.

I actually think that techs is a bigger nutjob that Dave. Techs seems to possess more intelligence, which makes his posts all that more outlandish.

marincounty

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2005
Originally posted by: 1EZduzit
It takes a lot of money to support the infra-structure required to get the raw materials out of the rural states. I'd be willing to bet that the average wage in the red states is way lower then the blue states, making supporting that infrastructure an even bigger burden on the populace. I can't (easily) find any hard figures to support that premise, but I did find this:

Blue States Beat Out Red States in Home Values

According to Zillow?s Zindex (median Zestimate or the middle estimated home value), the Red states (pro-Bush) have substantially lower home values than do Blue states (pro-Kerry). Red states had a Zindex of $190,323 vs. a Zindex of $323,952 for the Blue states as of the first quarter of 2007

You?re telling me waitresses make less than $2/hr in red states?

I know for a fact I was surprized to learn the differences in wages/home prices/etc in Alabama compared to California. Maybe that is an unfair comparison though, California being as bankrupt as it is.

California may be broke right now, but we can still buy and sell your state.

marincounty

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2005
Originally posted by: piasabird
Tell California to make its own electicity while you are at it!

California produces 78% of its electricity.
Text

Also, California uses the least electricity per capita in the nation.
California uses 6,732 kwh per person, while Alabama uses 18,624 kwh and Illinois uses 10,771 kwh per person.
Text

You California haters really need to get a grip.

Mxylplyx

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2007
Originally posted by: marincounty
Originally posted by: piasabird
Tell California to make its own electicity while you are at it!

California produces 78% of its electricity.
Text

Also, California uses the least electricity per capita in the nation.
California uses 6,732 kwh per person, while Alabama uses 18,624 kwh and Illinois uses 10,771 kwh per person.
Text

You California haters really need to get a grip.

Perhaps mild climate, 20 Mexicans per house due to massive illegal populations, and large households due to insane housing costs have something to do with it? Economies of scale come into play here.

TheSlamma

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
Doesn't he have to go "Elite" first?

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
I think my neighbors have more guns than you libs in the blue states neighbors have.

LOL, visit Maine sometime...

I've heard a lot of Southern conservatives talk sh!t about another civil war, due I guess to their irritation over differing (and often liberal) views. I suppose those stellar schools down there plum forgot to mention what happened the last time some good ol boys got the undivided attention of gun-adoring Mainiacs.

Why should we end red state welfare? I thought all those abstinence campaigns were working wonders? ;)

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001

I second this, but, in all honesty techs has a long way to go before he catches Dave.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: techs
The huge gaps are driven by higher average incomes in the "donor" states, plus subsidies for farms, oil, mining?"extractive" industries that skew red. There are exceptions (Texas is a loser, Pennsylvania a winner), but the map on this page shows the big picture.

All you boobs talking about state "welfare" need to read a bit closer.

Those extractive industries are big corporate America, and of course they're gonna be in rural areas. You gonna drill for oil or farm in manhatten? Who wants to smell the fertilizer etc?

But I suppose people living in urban areas don't use farm products or oil etc.

For those who say each state should get back exactly what it pays, WTH pay it in the first d@mn place? That makes no sense; just keep it to begin with.

Oh, and since civics lessons obviously aren't popular with the crowd here, it's Congress that allocates the money. Congressional representation is primarily based on a state's population. So the populated states have more Congressional (House, really) than sparsely populated states.

Fern

What the bejeesus are you talking about? California and Illinois are tow of the largest farming states in the union.