Its official... Same sex marriage April 27th

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
The local state republicans have tried every dirty trick in the book, in the good ole state of iOwa, to derail same sex marriage from taking place on April 27th.
The IA Supreme Court ruled in favor of same sex marriage two weeks ago.
Since then holly hell has broken out between democrats and republicans in the state house.

But the tricks and shouts failed. Some interesting links:

State Recorders Warned

New forms / applications sent out

Clerks Must Obey Marriage Ruling

Looks like old John Mccain advisor came onboard today too:

Mccain - "Give it up fellow republicans"

PS. some fun links from the interesting to the bazaar
Plan u Wedding in iOwa

Isnt this how Hitler started??? "Do as I say, not the law"

EXman

Lifer
Jul 12, 2001
ANother dictation by a court.

Hasn't every single gay marriage refferendnum failed miserably? something like 0-38.

Courts suck when they go against the peoples wishes. I know the courts are supposed to uphold laws but to often they end up legislating from the bench giving them more than their share of the 1/3 of power they should weild.

Regardless of political party I think legislating from the bench isn't American.

frostedflakes

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2005
Originally posted by: EXman

Hasn't every single gay marriage refferendnum failed miserably? something like 0-38.

Courts suck when they go against the peoples wishes. I know the courts are supposed to uphold laws but to often they end up legislating from the bench giving them more than their share of the 1/3 of power they should weild.

Regardless of political party I think legislating from the bench isn't American.
I can't help but think people were saying the exact same thing half a century ago during the civil rights movement... It's absolutely eerie to me that statements like this could have just as easily been used to oppose desegregation, women's suffrage, etc.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Same sex marriage will be legal eventually, why not now? I don't understand why conservatives want to kick and scream to delay the inevitable.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005

So can we safely say you support denying the same rights other people have to a group of people who just happen to be gay?

Since when can we the people deny others the same rights that we have???

Jschmuck2

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2005

And denying a minority groiup their rights is American?

Your priorities are wrong.

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000

*shakes head*

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
Originally posted by: jpeyton
Same sex marriage will be legal eventually, why not now? I don't understand why conservatives want to kick and scream to delay the inevitable.

Well, can't take away a wedge point...

/but sadly those "conservatives" are in many party lines........

EXman

Lifer
Jul 12, 2001
Originally posted by: frostedflakes

I can't help but think people were saying the exact same thing half a century ago during the civil rights movement...

Tired arguement... apples and oranges... gay agenda does not equal civil rights movement. Not by a longshot.

Gays can do anything anyone else does now.

EXman

Lifer
Jul 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Jschmuck2

So gay people cannot go get married tomorrow? Why is that?

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000

I can't help but think people were saying the exact same thing half a century ago during the civil rights movement...

Tired arguement... apples and oranges... gay agenda does not equal civil rights movement. Not by a longshot.

except have a legally recognized marriage to the person he/she loves if that person happens to be of the same sex.

talk about tired arguments dude...

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000

Tired arguments? Why? Most people don't want to pay their taxes or wear their seat belts... If so, then courts do suck when they go against the peoples wishes. I can think of MANY .... MANY examples were the courts go against the people.

As for gay marriage it was a GWB slam and it was wrong to target a minority group. You'd have to be blind to think the MAJORITY 1 man 1 woman / and the church were NOT mostly for opposing gay people. Especially with all the propaganda in millions if not billions being spent on commercials telling people how wrong it was.

Now that Bush is out of office he can't play his stupid game from his ranch things are changing rather quickly...

I have no problem with it. I say get with the program. Normally I'd agree with you on other issues but I won't agree with you on this one. Since I'm not a church goer and I believe religion is scared of gay people since it's written in the bible to look down upon them and religion is just wrong to begin with. That is what you get when you have too much religious control. Again, get over it and get with the program because major changes are going to happen.

apples and oranges? here is your watermelon!

Jschmuck2

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2005

I guess I must have missed the post(s) where you've disproved that.

Could you please re-explain it here so that I can understand what crazy rock you're coming out from under?

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
Originally posted by: Jschmuck2

Are you for or against polygamy?

I am for gay rights btw.

Lazy8s

Golden Member
Jun 23, 2004

What? Did you read the ruling? If "legislating from the bench" is code for "enforcing the constitution" then you're right. The whole point of the court system is to uphold the laws. Constitutions trump legislation unless it is a constitutional amendment. The gay marriage ban was declared unconstitutional oppression of a minority (which it is), therefore the law was upheld. Much the same way the constitution would be upheld if the people of Iowa had voted on a law banning Jews from practicing their religion.

frostedflakes

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2005
Originally posted by: Lazy8s

What? Did you read the ruling? If "legislating from the bench" is code for "enforcing the constitution" then you're right. The whole point of the court system is to uphold the laws. Constitutions trump legislation unless it is a constitutional amendment. The gay marriage ban was declared unconstitutional oppression of a minority (which it is), therefore the law was upheld. Much the same way the constitution would be upheld if the people of Iowa had voted on a law banning Jews from practicing their religion.
Apparently he doesn't understand the concept behind a constitutional republic.

EXman

Lifer
Jul 12, 2001
Originally posted by: ericlp

Tired arguments? Why? Most people don't want to pay their taxes or wear their seat belts... If so, then courts do suck when they go against the peoples wishes. I can think of MANY .... MANY examples were the courts go against the people.

As for gay marriage it was a GWB slam and it was wrong to target a minority group. You'd have to be blind to think the MAJORITY 1 man 1 woman / and the church were NOT mostly for opposing gay people. Especially with all the propaganda in millions if not billions being spent on commercials telling people how wrong it was.

Now that Bush is out of office he can't play his stupid game from his ranch things are changing rather quickly...

I have no problem with it. I say get with the program. Normally I'd agree with you on other issues but I won't agree with you on this one. Since I'm not a church goer and I believe religion is scared of gay people since it's written in the bible to look down upon them and religion is just wrong to begin with. That is what you get when you have too much religious control. Again, get over it and get with the program because major changes are going to happen.

So it is George Bushes fault that california 3 times voted against gay marriage or 35 other refferendums did the same? That is lunacy.

I think it was the opposite. In Ohio especially in 2004. People came out to vote against gay marriage and then overwhelmingly voted for Bush on the same ballot. Many were not Happy with Bush but since they were there voting against gay marriage why not vote against Kerry. He was easy not to like.

I'm tired of gay agenda.
I'm tired of arrogant people that think the word change = good.
Tired of People telling me that Terroists have rights, But I cannot carry a gun.
Tired of Perverts have a right to form a club where they tell of stories of raping small children calling that free speech. But If I stand up and say I want laws already on the books enforced I'm a racist. And should be accordingly dealt with.
I'm tired of hearing How Obama is a community organizer but if I do the same thing I'm a GOP operative and deseve to be killed.
I'm Tired of the media. nuff said.
I'm Tired of the GOP especially Mitch McConnell Jerk!
I'm Tired of Wasteful Spending. No Pork Period You hear me Mitch?!
I'm Tired of Politicians telling me they know how to spend MY MONEY better than I do.
I'm Tired of ALL Politicians. Term limits NOW! Kudos to Fred Thompson for keeping your word.
Tired of Unborn Children not having rights and how is it if you kill a pregnant lady you have killed two people but if you CHOOSE to open your legs as long as you see a doctor he can go in and vacuum the brains out or go in there with a rake and kill it.
Tired of people persecuting Christians and holding up other faiths with kid gloves.
I'm More tired of Christians who are not Christians but just pew warmers.
I'm Tired of one size fits all.
I'm Tired of poorly made Chinese Products.
I'm Tired of typing. I suck at it.
I'm just pretty tired...

g'nite

EXman

Lifer
Jul 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Lazy8s

Apparently he doesn't understand the concept behind a constitutional republic.

It's bullshit a gay person can get married in every state of the Union. They are not enforcing the law they are redefining marriage.

retrospooty

Platinum Member
Apr 3, 2002

It's bullshit a gay person can get married in every state of the Union. They are not enforcing the law they are redefining marriage.

Why do you even care? Clearly you are against gay marriage, so by all means, exercise your freedom and dont marry a gay. :|

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Why do you even care? Clearly you are against gay marriage, so by all means, exercise your freedom and dont marry a gay.

Thats kinda the attitude the gov of iOwa took.
He once said when running, he did not support same sex marriage.
But the unanimous court ruling took everyone by surprise.
And many opponents took time to reconsider.

So in short, the gov supported his change of heart by saying it was the church
against gay marriage, not the state. And even with this ruling, the church (some) can and will refuse to marry two same sex couples. The church can do what it wants, but the state goes by the law.

I thought that was a brilliant definition of separation of church and state.
And he's right!

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: sportage
Why do you even care? Clearly you are against gay marriage, so by all means, exercise your freedom and dont marry a gay.

Thats kinda the attitude the gov of iOwa took.
He once said when running, he did not support same sex marriage.
But the unanimous court ruling took everyone by surprise.
And many opponents took time to reconsider.

So in short, the gov supported his change of heart by saying it was the church
against gay marriage, not the state. And even with this ruling, the church (some) can and will refuse to marry two same sex couples. The church can do what it wants, but the state goes by the law.

I thought that was a brilliant definition of separation of church and state.
And he's right!

:thumbsup:

Mean MrMustard

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2001

Name one example please.

Jschmuck2

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: ericlp

So it is George Bushes fault that california 3 times voted against gay marriage or 35 other refferendums did the same? That is lunacy.

I think it was the opposite. In Ohio especially in 2004. People came out to vote against gay marriage and then overwhelmingly voted for Bush on the same ballot. Many were not Happy with Bush but since they were there voting against gay marriage why not vote against Kerry. He was easy not to like.

I'm tired of gay agenda.
I'm tired of arrogant people that think the word change = good.
Tired of People telling me that Terroists have rights, But I cannot carry a gun.
Tired of Perverts have a right to form a club where they tell of stories of raping small children calling that free speech. But If I stand up and say I want laws already on the books enforced I'm a racist. And should be accordingly dealt with.
I'm tired of hearing How Obama is a community organizer but if I do the same thing I'm a GOP operative and deseve to be killed.
I'm Tired of the media. nuff said.
I'm Tired of the GOP especially Mitch McConnell Jerk!
I'm Tired of Wasteful Spending. No Pork Period You hear me Mitch?!
I'm Tired of Politicians telling me they know how to spend MY MONEY better than I do.
I'm Tired of ALL Politicians. Term limits NOW! Kudos to Fred Thompson for keeping your word.
Tired of Unborn Children not having rights and how is it if you kill a pregnant lady you have killed two people but if you CHOOSE to open your legs as long as you see a doctor he can go in and vacuum the brains out or go in there with a rake and kill it.
Tired of people persecuting Christians and holding up other faiths with kid gloves.
I'm More tired of Christians who are not Christians but just pew warmers.
I'm Tired of one size fits all.
I'm Tired of poorly made Chinese Products.
I'm Tired of typing. I suck at it.
I'm just pretty tired...

g'nite

Oh yeah, everyone is out to get you.

Go get some book learnin' and come back when you have something valid to add.

The gay agenda, what a fucking joke. What exactly is the gay agenda?