it's official, Domino's > Pizza Hut

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jesusthewererabbit

Mar 20, 2008
Our Pizza Hut here is actually decent. For a lot of years, it was moderately horrible, but recently it's been pretty good. I will get it about once every two months or so, and it hits the spot. I haven't tried Dominoes since they changed recipe, this one scares the piss outta me, but I might have to some time.

Papa John's started downhill when they started using premixed sauce. I used to make about 40 gallons of that shit every day. That was about 7 years ago when they switched. I bet they're using canned veggies now too. As to the light toppings, thats how they want it done. There is a little chart that hangs over the topping stations that shows exactly how many pepperonis to put on each pizza. I never paid it any attention, and no one else did either. I did talk to Papa John himself once. He called the store to talk to our GM because we were one of the top PJs in the country, and I answered.

Damn, those were the days. Easy job, no responsiblities, and made decent money.

Adrenaline

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2005
at 5.99 must be a small if any profit margin

My old roommate was a manager at a Papa Johns and he said it only cost like $1.25-$1.50 for a large supreme pizza. Pizza is one of the highest profiting foods if not the highest.

I like Papa Johns the best. They are right around the corner from my house. I order online and add a $2.00 tip and get my pizza in less than 20 minutes.

Sam's Club has an awesome deal for a slice of pizza and a drink for like $2.80 or so plus tax. Their pizzas are good as well, better than Costco.

foghorn67

Lifer
Jan 3, 2006
I am a pizza snob, and I agree that Domino's is much better than Pizza Hut.
And Papa Johns is horribly overrated.

Feb 19, 2001
Pizza hut completely killed old Dominos. I'll try the new Dominos shortly.

Yes Papa Johns is overrated. They pile on the tomato sauce so you don't really know what the pizza tastes like.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
Lombardi's puts all that mainstream slop to shame!

Dominos? Seriously?

That's like Budweiser to beer!

Where is the puke emoticon?

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
My old roommate was a manager at a Papa Johns and he said it only cost like $1.25-$1.50 for a large supreme pizza. Pizza is one of the highest profiting foods if not the highest.

This is false X 1000.

If you are talking food cost only, you might have a point as far as high margin.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
at 5.99 must be a small if any profit margin

I managed several Pizza places for several years.

Even with payroll, electricity, gas, etc....and of course purchasing the food and stuff the mark up on a pizza is a amazing.

A large cheese pizza for $5.99 has a mark up of almost 350%
Same with a large pepperoni......
A combination or specialty pizza the mark up at $5.99 is still over 250%

LumbergTech

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2005
$5.99 for a large carry-out at dominos by me cant be beat when you are drunk and want pizza.

Pizza snobs in 5...4...3...

cheap is good in that situation, but when people talk about "the new recipe" it makes me laugh because its actually not that different....I know a guy who works at dominos and he always gets a good chuckle when people talk about how much better it is

Adrenaline

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2005
This is false X 1000.

If you are talking food cost only, you might have a point as far as high margin.

Tha was the price of the stuff to make the pizza. He did all the ordering and that's what he said it came out for the total.

Yes, food cost only pizza is very profitable.

My favorite pizza is in Indiana at a place called Bobe's which is great.

akshatp

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
This is false X 1000.

Exactly.

Employees, electricity, rent/tax, supplies, etc really cut into that "high margin"

its still profitable, but not 350% like someoen mentioned

ussfletcher

Platinum Member
Apr 16, 2005
I'm pretty sure it costs Little Caesar's about $.90 to make a Hot-N-Ready pizza including materials and labor.

brainhulk

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2007
BJ's pizza + ice cold beer. Then a pizookie for dessert > dominoe's, pizza hut, blah blah blah

LittleNemoNES

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
I'd rather make my own. Takes just as long as delivery; tastes much better than domino's or pizza hut.

Seriously, though. Do people actually smell, savor their food? Or do they just guzzle it down? Because I can't conceive of a way anyone would enjoy their pizzas.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
I managed several Pizza places for several years.

Even with payroll, electricity, gas, etc....and of course purchasing the food and stuff the mark up on a pizza is a amazing.

A large cheese pizza for $5.99 has a mark up of almost 350%
Same with a large pepperoni......
A combination or specialty pizza the mark up at $5.99 is still over 250%

Last I was aware, fairly good quality mozzarella was around $1.90 per pound for a high volume business. I'm sure the chains get it cheaper. Lower quality mozz is cheaper, of course. IIRC, a semi loaded with mozz, destined for Little Caesars burned up. $30,000 damage, 35,000 pounds of cheese. A large 16" diameter pizza generally will have less than a pound of mozzarella. Ingredients for dough cost pennies. Ditto for pepperoni. While "expensive" on a per pound basis, there's really not much weight in pepperoni on a pizza. It's been years since I weighed out a pound of pepperoni & counted the number of slices; I can't remember the amount. It costs a bit more than the dough, but not much. Cheese is the main cost (besides labor & utilities) - "white gold" as the owner of the shop I worked at called it. We ordered cheese by the ton.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
Last I was aware, fairly good quality mozzarella was around $1.90 per pound for a high volume business. I'm sure the chains get it cheaper. Lower quality mozz is cheaper, of course. IIRC, a semi loaded with mozz, destined for Little Caesars burned up. $30,000 damage, 35,000 pounds of cheese. A large 16" diameter pizza generally will have less than a pound of mozzarella. Ingredients for dough cost pennies. Ditto for pepperoni. While "expensive" on a per pound basis, there's really not much weight in pepperoni on a pizza. It's been years since I weighed out a pound of pepperoni & counted the number of slices; I can't remember the amount. It costs a bit more than the dough, but not much. Cheese is the main cost (besides labor & utilities) - "white gold" as the owner of the shop I worked at called it. We ordered cheese by the ton.

Wow I bet that smelled... cheesy! :biggrin: