Its not my fualt your black kid is fat

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Its because black people are poorer than whites, in general, and cannot afford healthy foods. Its been shown that cheap foods are extremely unhealthy. This should be no suprise.

An interesting quote from the article who quote Michelle Obama:

Michelle Obama points out here:

“In fact, studies have found that African American children spend an average of nearly six hours a day watching TV — and that every extra hour of TV they watch is associated with the consumption of an additional 167 calories.”

As the author asks:

Who knew that watching TV was linked to racism?

The race card is old and tattered. Now it is being pulled whenever individuals within the black community fail to be responsible for their actions.

A black person is fat?

It's because of racism!

A black person commits a crime?

It's because of racism!

A black person is lazy and makes poor choices?

It's because of racism!!!

And when a black person has the balls to point out these ignorant logical fallacies, they are shunned by "the community" and labeled an "uncle tom."

The race card and everything associated with it are nothing more than excuses for failure. Until it goes away and "the black community" realizes they are individuals and start thinking for themselves, they will continue to fail.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 1999
That's entirely possible, however my concern isn't so much about the mention by her of it, but the mindset that it's somehow relevant to malnutrition. See the rest of my post for context.

It isn't that's she's doing it so much as it's being done at all by public leaders.

If I were of the mindset to use "any excuse" I can certainly do better. There are several items regarding Obama's policies I'm critical of, however as I told Red I'm not all "angsty" about "Democrat racist policies" unless you insist, then I'll fake it just for you :p

I think it's clear she mentions those things simply because, like those things, obesity is a threat to black folks' prosperity, which is of concern to her audience here. She was just hammering a point in a way that made it relevant to the group she was talking to.

MJinZ

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 2009
I think agricultural subsidies have more to do with this as it allowed processed foods that are high-calorie but nutritionally bereft to become cheaper than things like fruits and vegetables (even when in season). People wanting to make their dollar go further, i.e. the poor, will go for the cheaper option whether they get food stamps/welfare or not. The best personal finance option is the one that makes you get fat...

Nah, it's complete and utter laziness.

My parents spend so little on groceries it's crazy.

But they also do something crazy and insane called cooking.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
I think it's clear she mentions those things simply because, like those things, obesity is a threat to black folks' prosperity, which is of concern to her audience here. She was just hammering a point in a way that made it relevant to the group she was talking to.

Perhaps that was her intent (I've no personal axe to grind with her), but that seems to be a mindset of perpetually looking back. While history ought not to be forgotten it shouldn't be dragged into something so important at this point in time. Others will use it out of her intended context for their agenda, and I really don't see it as beneficial to those she would help.

Amused, out of curiousity, how many hours of TV do white kids watch and if so what accounts for the difference? I'm thinking that maybe it's just safer to stay inside.

Oct 16, 1999
Perhaps that was her intent (I've no personal axe to grind with her), but that seems to be a mindset of perpetually looking back. While history ought not to be forgotten it shouldn't be dragged into something so important at this point in time. Others will use it out of her intended context for their agenda, and I really don't see it as beneficial to those she would help.

A lot of people simply do not recognize the importance of this issue. I think likening it to two issues important enough to found the association she was talking to was a fair way to emphasize its importance.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
A lot of people simply do not recognize the importance of this issue. I think likening it to two issues important enough to found the association she was talking to was a fair way to emphasize its importance.

If it works then more power to her. As you say it's an important issue and I'd like it to be effectively addressed. If she can pull it off maybe she should run for office :D

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Us black folk are genetically predisposed to liking heavy amounts of fried-chicken, duh.
Everyone is genetically predisposed to liking heavy amounts of fried chicken, which is why G-d may so many other meats taste like chicken.

Great article and interesting site, OP. Thanks!

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
Its because black people are poorer than whites, in general, and cannot afford healthy foods. Its been shown that cheap foods are extremely unhealthy. This should be no suprise.

Couldn't they just eat less? When I was working at McDonalds as a student, I ate tons of McDonalds because it was super cheap and drinks were free. I still didn't gain weight. When your stomach hurts, that means stop eating. Holy shit, how do people not get this?

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I think agricultural subsidies have more to do with this as it allowed processed foods that are high-calorie but nutritionally bereft to become cheaper than things like fruits and vegetables (even when in season). People wanting to make their dollar go further, i.e. the poor, will go for the cheaper option whether they get food stamps/welfare or not. The best personal finance option is the one that makes you get fat...

Enough with this bullshit excuse. For the price of one bag of potato chips you can buy three heads of lettuce.

ModestGamer

Banned
Jun 30, 2010
Everyone is genetically predisposed to liking heavy amounts of fried chicken, which is why G-d may so many other meats taste like chicken.

Great article and interesting site, OP. Thanks!

ever see a smart black kid in a city school ? This is why the black community has issues. they don;t appreciate intelligence. Actually the white kids aren't much better. but they tend to redicule etc anyone who attempts to better themself the right way.

Its is a huge socialogical problem.

CallMeJoe

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2004
ever see a smart black kid in a city school ? This is why the black community has issues. they don;t appreciate intelligence. Actually the white kids aren't much better. but they tend to redicule etc anyone who attempts to better themself the right way.
A little more attention to spelling and grammar when alleging someone else's aversion to education...

Last edited:

ModestGamer

Banned
Jun 30, 2010
A little more attention to spelling and grammar when alleging someone else's aversion to education...

STFU I am not alleging shit. I used to live in fucking baltimore city and I went to a school where white kids were the minority. I saw it for myself.

Blacks like being ignorant and it is socially acceptable. Prior to the civil rights movement it was not.

GeezerMan

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2005

Yes. 60 minutes did a story a few years ago on high achieving black kids in school. They were told they were "acting white" by their fellow black students for getting an A. This is a problem.

MJinZ

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 2009
Yes. 60 minutes did a story a few years ago on high achieving black kids in school. They were told they were "acting white" by their fellow black students for getting an A. This is a problem.

Yo gotta dream big and be a gangsta rapper. Doing 90 in a 65 hollaa lil wayne stylez.

ModestGamer

Banned
Jun 30, 2010

All the high achieving black kids move out leaving us with the gheto gutter trash we have inhabiting our crime infested heavily black citys. I don't mind calling a spade a spade. the blacks have significant cultural issues especially in urban areas.

BTW its not my problem. It is there problem. I say we fence in all the fucking people that want to act like retards and throw guns and ammo over the fence and air drop food in the middle. In a few days the problem will be 50% of the size it is today.

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
Enough with this bullshit excuse. For the price of one bag of potato chips you can buy three heads of lettuce.

Have you been shopping lately? Lettuce isn't cheap. Besides, it isn't a choice of chips vs. lettuce. That is asinine. You cannot substitute one for the other directly, or as a legitimate side dish. I'm talking things like brown whole-grain rice vs. white rice, whole ears of corn vs. canned creamed corn, etc. Sometimes the differences are small, but they add up, quickly. Even those of use who do enjoy cooking will tell you that it is often cheaper to get premade/preprocessed stuff at the store.

MJinZ

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 2009
Have you been shopping lately? Lettuce isn't cheap. Besides, it isn't a choice of chips vs. lettuce. That is asinine. You cannot substitute one for the other directly, or as a legitimate side dish. I'm talking things like brown whole-grain rice vs. white rice, whole ears of corn vs. canned creamed corn, etc. Sometimes the differences are small, but they add up, quickly. Even those of use who do enjoy cooking will tell you that it is often cheaper to get premade/preprocessed stuff at the store.

My mom wouldn't tell you that. She only cooks what she knows - Asian stuff.

Super cheap and way too healthy (blech).

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

Bullshit. Rice is cheap as hell.

And why can't you substitute one for the other? Don't eat fucking chips. Put a little vinegar (cheap) on some lettuce (cheap) and you have a salad that doesn't have the 500 calories that gorging your fat fucking face on a bag of chips does.

Mr. Pedantic

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2010
This depends. Does racism mean just unequal treatment, or does it include unequal outcomes directly/indirectly caused by race as well?

It depends where you shop. Here, supermarkets are very well known for price gouging, whereas buying fruit and veges at small vege stores or at farmers' markets can easily halve the amount you spend on fruit and veges. I don't know whether it's the same in the States, but I'd suspect it is.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Hmmm, does this breakdown the gender? From my observation it seems that Black Males are generally in better shape than their White counterparts, especially among the children. On the other hand it seems that Black females are much heavier than their White counterparts including the children.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
All the high achieving black kids move out leaving us with the gheto gutter trash we have inhabiting our crime infested heavily black citys. I don't mind calling a spade a spade. the blacks have significant cultural issues especially in urban areas.

BTW its not my problem. It is there problem. I say we fence in all the fucking people that want to act like retards and throw guns and ammo over the fence and air drop food in the middle. In a few days the problem will be 50% of the size it is today.
Careful, your sheets are showing.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
I know plenty of people who eat like crap who could afford other. There is something to this but I believe most poor people are in bad shape because the same failing at life that makes them poor also makes them just not give a damn about their health. In fact regular trips to mcdonalds drive through and party size bags of doritos are not any cheaper than a bunch of bananas and $1.65/lb tomatoes. I bet you there are literally millions of Americans who are poorer than me, in worse shape, eat worse, and yet drive vehicles worth more than mine.

CallMeJoe

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2004
STFU I am not alleging shit. I used to live in fucking baltimore city and I went to a school where white kids were the minority. I saw it for myself.
Blacks like being ignorant and it is socially acceptable. Prior to the civil rights movement it was not.
My apologies, you're right. You were stating, not alleging.

I now correct my original post to:

Look to your own education, you ignorant cracker, before you criticize others.