Its happening: GTX 980Ti already listed in China!!

Cloudfire777

Golden Member
Mar 24, 2013
Awesome! ():)

GTX 980Ti was listed today at a big chinese retailer.
Only specifications that was given was 6GB GDDR5 and 384bit bus. "Flagship" was written in the description.
I can say that a post today in china say it got 3072 cores running at max 1200MHz for the GTX 980Ti while memory clock is said to be increased as well from Titan X (unknown). That is a good deal higher than GTX Titan X with 1075MHz as core clock.

Price for GTX 980Ti is 6999 Chinese Yuan.

Potxyvy.jpg

409Qxip.jpg

In comparison, GTX Titan X cost 8599 Chinese yuan in China.
6WvXsBB.png

So that means if the listing reflect on launch price, GTX 980Ti will be about 20% cheaper than GTX Titan X.

GTX Titan X: $999
GTX 980Ti: $799

Cheers
Cloudfire

Last edited:

Face2Face

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2001
VideoCardZ is going to repost this in 3..2..1

On a serious note, I'm getting pretty excited for card and the 390X.

Last edited:

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
I don't believe it. Why on earth would nVidia sell a card that is faster than titan for less? It was ok with the original Titan and the 780Ti, because the Titan had other features that the 780 didn't have. So it appealed to a different market.

A Titan X however has none of those other features to set it apart. Its a gaming card only.

Fox5

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
I don't believe it. Why on earth would nVidia sell a card that is faster than titan for less? It was ok with the original Titan and the 780Ti, because the Titan had other features that the 780 didn't have. So it appealed to a different market.

A Titan X however has none of those other features to set it apart. Its a gaming card only.

Short lived cash grab. People who need the absolute fastest will buy a Titan X right now. Additionally, a Titan X has a ridiculous amount of memory for high res gaming.

The price of the Titan X doesn't really imply confidence that it's going to be top of the line for a long time, given that the original Titan led by less and cost more.

rchunter

Feb 26, 2015
Awesome. Just bought a new monitor and kvm last night. This will go nicely with it. I will give my gtx 770 2gb to my dad so he can do sli.

Qwertilot

Golden Member
Nov 28, 2013
And you never know, I know it isn't common with big tech companies ;), but they might actually have meant what they said about TitanX being aimed mostly at single precision compute applications?

The 12gb vram makes sense then. Think they do need to launch the purely gaming GM200 stuff moderately soon because small Pascal can't be a million miles away and once that is out you might well get people waiting for the bigger variants.

Feb 19, 2009
6GB really is the sweetspot due to console hardware this gen & moving forward. 4K in games we're seeing 4GB+ required, that applies to D/VSR super sampling from 1080/1440p as well as potential ultra texture packs for console ports.

As some of us have said, even a cut down GM200 with 6GB vram will have more TDP available for it to boost higher due to less ram, meaning a cut down GM200 should come close to Titan X out of the box. If its a full GM200, it will be easily faster.

NV releasing a Titan X killer so soon suggests 2 possibilities:

1) Titan X is not selling very well because most gamers are aware of the stunt due to the previous Titan -> 780 transition, so they are waiting for the 980ti. This forces NV to be less greedy and release the 980ti to boost sales of GM200 parts.

2) NV is aware 390X may actually beat Titan X and they are pre-empting with a faster part with a higher boosting 980ti.

Cloudfire777

Golden Member
Mar 24, 2013
At $799 its pretty close to the rumored $700+ for 390X which was brought up a month ago.
Since recent news said TitanX would be faster than 390X, a higher clocked 980Ti will be quite a lot faster offering good performance/$ as well as being the fastest card out on the market.

This is Nvidia being proactive

Short lived cash grab. People who need the absolute fastest will buy a Titan X right now. Additionally, a Titan X has a ridiculous amount of memory for high res gaming.

The price of the Titan X doesn't really imply confidence that it's going to be top of the line for a long time, given that the original Titan led by less and cost more.
Yep I agree with you here. They got adapt to the coming market as well.
I think NewEgg have been empty of GTX Titan X for several weeks now so its almost like Nvidia isnt delivering as many as they should which could be because AIB are prepping for 980Ti launch which they know will sell really well since its s good deal cheaper

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2009
At $799 its pretty close to the rumored $700+ for 390X which was brought up a month ago.
Since recent news said TitanX would be faster than 390X, a higher clocked 980Ti will be quite a lot faster offering good performance/$ as well as being the fastest card out on the market.

This is Nvidia being proactive

If NV doesn't lose the performance crown with Titan X still faster than 390X, why do you think they will release a faster GM200 SKU and price it $799?

That's $200 less than Titan X for a faster card.

I'm pretty sure JH loves his massive margins and wouldn't do a charity move like that unless he needs to.

Also, TT article isn't "news", it's "rumor".

Since we're on the topic of rumors. The guys who originally leaked Titan X performance numbers in 3dMark and 22 games summary, including power usage, who were then later proven to be spot on for performance compared to 980 as well as power usage.. guess what? They also leaked numbers showing 390 (non X) matching Titan X, and the 390X being faster.

You should try to envision being in JH's shoes and think to yourself: "How do I make the most profit/margins on GM200?" What would you do?

Me, I would release a cut down GM200, around 10% slower than Titan X with 6GB vram, price it at $799 and reap the profits from the masses. This ensure full GM200 dies command a premium while harvested dies also earn a hefty margin. I would certainly NOT release a full GM200 with 6gb vram that ends up faster than Titan X and price it at $799. That's pure charity given no show & no competition from AMD.

Last edited:

Mondozei

Golden Member
Jul 7, 2013
Calling it now: the price will crash around Computex.

Nvidia is going gangbusters for all the impatient people and jacking up the price. Will settle to 599 post-June.

Cloudfire777

Golden Member
Mar 24, 2013
@Silverforce: Please read what Im writing: to be better at performance/$.
A much faster 980Ti at $799 vs 390X at $700 would sell a heck better than a 980Ti at $999. The market change, this is Nvidia playing smart and prepping up.

So you are gonna defend vague graphs from god knows where posted months ago against an article posted today from a news site like Tweaktown that spoke to their own sources claiming 390X is slower than TitanX? I mean come on, TT is a heck more reliable.

Tweaktown said AMD will be out with dual Fiji as well. There could be a good reason for that if 980Ti steals the show.

Last edited:

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Just remember the target market for the 980Ti isn't the target market for AMD's offerings anyways....The only part AMD plays in the situation is possibly a better price point for them.

njdevilsfan87

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2007
Calling it now: the price will crash around Computex.

Nvidia is going gangbusters for all the impatient people and jacking up the price. Will settle to 599 post-June.

One company knows how to do business, and the other doesn't. It really shows in the their stock price. This is just smart play by NV. They're going to get a few hundred more for ever 980Ti sold before the 390X.

Meanwhile AMD will wait for everyone to spend their money on the 980Ti.

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
Do you have a link to the store page? The photo looks like just a Photoshop of the regular 980. I'd be interested to see if they actually list an eta to shipping or if it's one of those will ship when it's ready type things. I've seen products listed like this that never even existed, lol.

xthetenth

Golden Member
Oct 14, 2014
1) Titan X is not selling very well because most gamers are aware of the stunt due to the previous Titan -> 780 transition, so they are waiting for the 980ti. This forces NV to be less greedy and release the 980ti to boost sales of GM200 parts.

If this is the reason and Titan isn't a decent bit faster then they've gut shot the Titan brand and left it to die in the dirt.

5150Joker

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2002
www.techinferno.com
If NV doesn't lose the performance crown with Titan X still faster than 390X, why do you think they will release a faster GM200 SKU and price it $799?

That's $200 less than Titan X for a faster card.

I'm pretty sure JH loves his massive margins and wouldn't do a charity move like that unless he needs to.

Also, TT article isn't "news", it's "rumor".

Since we're on the topic of rumors. The guys who originally leaked Titan X performance numbers in 3dMark and 22 games summary, including power usage, who were then later proven to be spot on for performance compared to 980 as well as power usage.. guess what? They also leaked numbers showing 390 (non X) matching Titan X, and the 390X being faster.

You should try to envision being in JH's shoes and think to yourself: "How do I make the most profit/margins on GM200?" What would you do?

Me, I would release a cut down GM200, around 10% slower than Titan X with 6GB vram, price it at $799 and reap the profits from the masses. This ensure full GM200 dies command a premium while harvested dies also earn a hefty margin. I would certainly NOT release a full GM200 with 6gb vram that ends up faster than Titan X and price it at $799. That's pure charity given no show & no competition from AMD.

Agreed, it doesn't make financial sense for NVIDIA to release a Ti version right now at all. They could simply name a cut down GM200 GTX 1080 and sell it for $799 and people would buy it in droves. Then when 390X finally lands in August/September after their June paper launch, we'll know what the specs are and so will NVIDIA. At that time, if they need to, they can release a water cooled 1080 Ti that beats 390X WCE by 10-20% and keep the crown. Releasing a full GM200 for $200 cheaper than Titan X w/half the ram right now just undercuts profitability and wastes full dies which aren't cheap to produce despite the 28nm maturity. I also don't think 6 GB will be the sweet spot for 4K gaming as GTA V already reaches that limit with some MSAA added into the mix. I regularly reach 5.4 GB at 1440P alone with that game. With these new generation titles, we're looking at a shift where 6 GB = 1080p and maybe 1440p with no MSAA and 8GB+ for 1440p+DSR or MSAA/4K and 12GB+ for surround.

Last edited:

Cloudfire777

Golden Member
Mar 24, 2013
Do you have a link to the store page? The photo looks like just a Photoshop of the regular 980. I'd be interested to see if they actually list an eta to shipping or if it's one of those will ship when it's ready type things. I've seen products listed like this that never even existed, lol.
The picture could be fake for sure but the listing shouldnt be. Its a big hardware retailer selling many graphic cards so they should be reliable. Probably a way to avoid problems with NDA and detection etc

http://m.intl.taobao.com/detail/detail.html?id=44869761305#detail

Last edited:

Cloudfire777

Golden Member
Mar 24, 2013
They pulled their specs from videocardz LOL. Might as well ask the Inquirer for GM200 lite's details.

To avoid NDA issues and getting too much attention and being posted all over the internet I guess? That would for sure make Nvidia react.

Last edited: