IT People: Does anyone at your company actually do electronic records management

SarcasticDwarf

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2001
I am curious if any of the IT people here can say if anyone at their company actually specialized in the management of electronic records and your perception of what they do. The most common product of this person would be a Records Retention Schedule.

ViviTheMage

Lifer
Dec 12, 2002
madgenius.com
The U of M - Twin Cities has a whole department just for that...I think it is about 4 or 5 people. My uncle is one actually, he has worked there for a long time, every time I need new asset tags I just call him up :)

LittleNemoNES

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
I work @ a clinic. We convert all our med docs to PDFs and upload them to our sharepoint intranet site. Recently we've been directly uploading .docx files to the intranet.

What would you like to know?

Duddy

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2002
Originally posted by: SarcasticDwarf
I am curious if any of the IT people here can say if anyone at their company actually specialized in the management of electronic records and your perception of what they do. The most common product of this person would be a Records Retention Schedule.

I'm trying to put something like this together a system for a company I just got hired at. As of right now, no records of any kind are kept regarding changes to hardware/software/networks. It's a s**t storm there and it's driving me crazy!

Me: "Are all these machines updated?"

Coworker: "I have no idea."

Me: "Can we check the records?"

Coworker: "Uhhh....what records?"

Me: -_-;

PS: I don't know if your referring to electronic backup of documents or record keeping OF electronics.

Schloonce

Mar 29, 2007
Check out ITIL Best Practices. We use it in our data center and as long as people adhere to the policies, we never have a problem.

ITIL

SarcasticDwarf

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Duddy
Originally posted by: SarcasticDwarf

I'm trying to put something like this together a system for a company I just got hired at. As of right now, no records of any kind are kept regarding changes to hardware/software/networks. It's a s**t storm there and it's driving me crazy!

Me: "Are all these machines updated?"

Coworker: "I have no idea."

Me: "Can we check the records?"

Coworker: "Uhhh....what records?"

Me: -_-;

PS: I don't know if your referring to electronic backup of documents or record keeping OF electronics.

Thanks for the info.

Generally, records management covers documents (either electronic or print form).

Ex:

What is the records retention policy for each record type? How does it vary between different departments/roles. For instance, the legal department might have every record retained forever, while accounting might retain certain documents forever but e-mails only five years. etc, etc.