It pains me to even write this... how to give up my dog?

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
Long story short.. I feel like my 7 yo Corgi just isn't getting the love he deserves. He's kinda taken the backseat since we had kids.

He really deserves a nice home who will treat him like the world he is.

How do I go about doing this? I don't want to just drop him off at a shelter... I can put up a CL listing and interview families right?

DietDrThunder

Platinum Member
Apr 6, 2001
Your Corgi has only 5 to 7 years of life left. Even if he/she is somewhat ignored, your Corgi is part of your pack. I imagine that the separation from your pack will be harder on your dog than being ignored.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Your Corgi has only 5 to 7 years of life left. Even if he/she is somewhat ignored, your Corgi is part of your pack. I imagine that the separation from your pack will be harder on your dog than being ignored.

This. When you got the dog, you knew it was a 10+ year commitment. People like you is why I have three dogs and why there is a need for rescue. Spend less time biking and more time walking your dog and kids. Plenty of people with kids and dogs yet they somehow are able to make it work.

A quick google "corgi rescue NJ" would let you know that there is a breed specific rescue in your state.

May 13, 2009
Quit being a douche. You knew what you signed up for. That's exactly why I don't have a dog. Having one is not an easy commitment to make. Once you do get one you don't douche out on them.

BSim500

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2013
Long story short.. I feel like my 7 yo Corgi just isn't getting the love he deserves. He's kinda taken the backseat since we had kids.

How do I go about doing this? I don't want to just drop him off at a shelter... I can put up a CL listing and interview families right?
Just because he isn't the centre of attention anymore (that's perfectly normal when a couple get a dog first before having children) doesn't mean he isn't loved. Dogs are social animals and see your family as theirs. Giving them up after several years often hits the dog a lot harder than the former owner's realise, (vs say giving up a "problem puppy" after only a few weeks before it's "settled in").

Growing up around an animal also improves a child's emotional intelligence, sense of responsibility, compassion, empathy, encourages them to be more physically active / getting into the habit of walking, etc. Same goes with hospitals and residential homes that have found pet visits improves mood, speed of recovery, etc. In short, you're actually doing your kids a favor by keeping it, and neither your kids nor pet are in 'competition' with each other.

renz20003

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2011

I'm dealing with this also, I want to unload them badly but the wife thinks it looks bad.

Our dogs are old so they are peeing all over the house, the carpet and hardwood floors are ruined from it. The wife refuses to cage them as much as I wish we could while we are at work. Looks like we are gonna hold on to them till they kick the bucket though.

Reactions: umbrella39

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
+1 at your corgi's age he/she is probably sleeping more hours then awake, and those sleeping hours will only increase.

Remember a dog hits senior status at 7, and its days sleeping gradually becomes more then days active.

So as long as its not being destructive, let it be with the family it grew up with.
I am assuming your not negleticing it with the basics needs of life like food and water?
And you do once in a while take it for walks, or throw the occasional ball around for it to go crazy about?

Just seeing your face and having a family scent around the house is more then enough.
I pretty much am sure your dog will probably ruin itself from emotional shock and stress if you give it up.

If a dog feels abandoned, you know things like this happen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmOfth-n4XU

So honestly, just keep him / her ... and let it live the rest of its senior life happy with the ones whom it loves.

Also i love my dog, even if i had to give her up, i dont think i could trust anyone with her.
Nope, not possible, unless it seriously was the end of the world for me.

Last edited:

UnderPantKnome

Nov 13, 2004
I urge you to reconsider.
Dogs are pack animals and are very loyal.

I've a Corgi and German Shepherd and I can see the depression on their face every time I've to leave for work in the morning.
Imagine giving them up to a new family... they'll have an adjustment period to go through and in addition to the emotional stress.

tynopik

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2004
take it out behind the barn

Not "funny," not acceptable here.

Perknose
Forum Director

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Wow
Reactions: brianmanahan

BD231

Lifer
Feb 26, 2001
What's the real problem? It's not like love is in limited supply.

I haven't had sex in two years and not a single woman out of many many thousands that aware I am in deep pain and need give a flying f*k so yes it's likely best he search around, otherwise the dog may very well end up tied to a pole in someones back yard or worse yet, unattended in a parking lot adjacent to a high traffic freeway :frowning:

Reactions: snoopy7548

JM Aggie08

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
Giving the dog away at this point would be pretty shitty, IMO. Even if it's not the center of attention, it still loves you and would be far more affected by you/your family's absence.

As long as you're not just throwing it outside and ignoring it, it's better off with you.

Reactions: Ns1

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Assuming it's an indoor dog best case scenario is you get a dog walker for when everyone is out during the day and then let him chill w/ y'all at night.

If it's to the point where you guys are neglecting him in the backyard, you should probably find a different option for him.

Source: my wife runs a Corgi rescue overcrowded with owner surrenders.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Aw, you fixed it. I was gonna say she's gonna get mad when she finds out you call her your "wide".

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
If you're in NJ I believe there is a group on FB called "NJ Frap Pack" should you need to attempt to rehome your dog.

rchunter

Feb 26, 2015
I wouldn't own an indoor dog. No way. What I did is I built a big dog run outside, bought 2 brittany puppies and let them grow up together and be friends. This way I don't have to worry or feel guilty about 1 dog being lonely when i'm not around. This works out great and since they are outdoor dogs they don't piss and shit all over my carpet.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
All your responses are great.

It kinda breaks my heart too and reinvigorates me to pay extra attention even when I'm dead tired from staying up with the 2nd baby.

Kids aren't the all excuses either because tins of fam do it. I'm just a bad owner.

He sheds a lot. No crap Sherlock. It was manageable when I was a bachelor. But 2 kids and wife... hair is everywhere. You know how impossible corgi hair is no matter how much you brush.

I feel guilty for even entertaining this thought.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I wouldn't own an indoor dog. No way. What I did is I built a big dog run outside, bought 2 brittany puppies and let them grow up together and be friends. This way I don't have to worry or feel guilty about 1 dog being lonely when i'm not around. This works out great and since they are outdoor dogs they don't piss and shit all over my carpet.
Out of curiosity, for what reason do you have dogs?

Beer4Me

Mar 16, 2011
We had 2 dogs and a cat. Once my wife and I had a child, we realized that it was too crazy, especially in our 1900 sq ft house. My BIL actually wanted/took one of our dogs willingly off of our hands. He's a good kid, and just recently married. They can't have kids, so Drifter should be much happier with them. Maybe see if any of yours or her family are interested?

rchunter

Feb 26, 2015
Out of curiosity, for what reason do you have dogs?

What do you mean? I like dogs. I just don't like house dogs. And trust me, brittany spaniels are in no way house dogs. They are bird hunting dogs. I take them quail, pheasant hunting.

Reactions: Paladin3