It is time for me to grow and become a complete lamb initiate

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Now you are comparing Mariah Carey to Beethoven? WTFBBQ
Failure of reading comprehension.
Beethoven's 5th merely immortalized a common rhythm used throughout his time and the eras immediately preceding him and afterwards. eight rest, three eigth notes, and a note on the beat was everywhere, from the likes of Mozart's Piano Concerto 25 and Haydn's Sonata. As I studied Haydn's Sonata in E-flat, Hob. XVI:49, about three minutes in and that rhythm was being used in a transitional manner.

Where Mariah Carey does deserve comparison to Beethoven is setting future standard operating procedues. With Beethoven, the Scherzo was one such development. With Mariah; collabs between singers and rappers became standard. Melismatic singing also become acceptable in the mainstream.
Besides, the nobles were learned critics. I would not be surprised if Beethoven wrote that first movement of the fifth as a little bit of rebellious commentary of the musical rules of the days.

Comparing her to Mozart, though? Yes. Their commonality is the adept ability to write for opera.
Everyone gets compares to Beethoven, Mozart, Mariah or that other female singer he's all crazy for, in his threads/posts.
On the contrary. I would not even bother bothering to compare Belinda Carlisle to Mozart or Beethoven.
The reason these three belong together is:
1. Note sponteanity. Far from needing to stick to one script, songs are modified and melodies are changed during new live performances.
2. Mastery of harmonization between soloist and the "backing track".
3. Knowing where to place notes intuitively.
4. Superb execution when tasked to play what they compose.
5. Operatic style and "flow".

Yasunori Mitsuda, however, is worthy of compariosn to Mozart because he is effective in a similar manner. Not very many notes, but boy do they count. His skill in arrangement is on full display in Chrono Cross. One example, being Guldove's theme. The first version is somber and reflective, the second version is more festive, "tropical island", upbeat.

I believe I have presented the evidence in clear and obvious manner by posting the music.

I don't listen to Mozart for the same reasons as a sophistocrat would, especially the reason of calming down.

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
Drew Carey - Hollywood Star Walk - Los Angeles Times

Oooops, I drew the wrong Carey.
tumblr_inline_o7yd9eSe571tae3h3_250.gifv

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
best leg of lamb recipe:

Ingredients:
  • 1 (5 to 6 pound) trimmed bone-in leg of lamb
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
  • 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
  • 1 tablespoon kosher salt
  • 2 teaspoons ground black pepper

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a roasting pan with aluminum foil.
  2. Pat lamb dry with paper towels. Using a sharp knife, score the top side of the lamb by making shallow cuts all over.
  3. In a small bowl, combine garlic, olive oil, rosemary, thyme, Dijon, salt and pepper.
  4. Place lamb, fat side up, on a rack in the prepared roasting pan. Spread garlic mixture evenly over the lamb, rubbing in thoroughly into the scored cuts.
  5. Place into oven and roast until it reaches an internal temperature of 135 degrees F for medium, about 1 hour 30 minutes to 1 hour 45 minutes, or until desired doneness. Let rest 15 minutes before slicing.
  6. Serve immediately with mini hasselback potatoes.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
The comparison to Mozart meets resistance due to a couple of identifiable factors:
1. Era
2. Style
3. Gender

With proper listening and study of particular, select works that emphasize the interplay of soloist and the "static", it becomes readily evident that they two come out of the same vein, and can only be appreciated with understanding their music in a "stream-of-conciousness" manner. Music theory or especially "chord change" freaks (losers like Rick Beato are precise chord change freaks, they cannot see anything within a key) analysis is inherently deficient in generating appreciation for their work. Since, after all, a scale in the of the tonic is not exactly exciting material for the left brain.

One of the frequent features in many Mariah Carey songs in her first two albums are the presence of introductory harmonizing notes with no over lyrics. Just couple notes, how can that matter much. Well, just a couple can make precisely a difference, just like the opening to one of Beethoven's movements in the Hammerklavier. Haydn uses a single note in the finale of his Cello Concerto No.1 to introduce the soloist's part. Or the beginning of the piano section of the 17th Mozart Piano Concerto begins with a seemingly insignificant scale in D major.

(This post is unfinished because the forum went wonky and posted prematurely)

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006

Singer Mariah Carey is being sued over her holiday smash hit “All I Want for Christmas Is You."
The lawsuit has been brought by songwriter Andy Stone who alleges he co-wrote a song with the same title five years earlier.

A complaint filed Friday in New Orleans federal court shows that Stone, who lives in Mississippi, is seeking at least $20 million in damages for copyright infringement and misappropriation, among other claims, from Carey and her co-writer Walter Afanasieff as well as from Sony Corporation of America and its subsidiary Sony Music Entertainment.

Stone, artistically known Vince Vance of the New Orleans country-pop band Vince Vance & the Valiants, co-wrote and recorded his version of “All I Want for Christmas Is You” in 1989, according to the complaint. The song then received "extensive airplay" during the 1993 Christmas season and "began making appearances on the Billboard Music Charts."
Carey’s version was released in 1994 as part of her “Merry Christmas” album. The tune has long received widespread play on the radio and on streaming services, particularly during the holiday season, essentially turning the song into the ultimate Christmas anthem.
It has also topped the Billboard Hot 100 chart every year since 2019, despite having been recorded a quarter century earlier. “All I Want for Christmas Is You” was Carey’s 19th No. 1 song, one fewer than The Beatles.
While both songs share the same title, they have different lyrics and melodies.
Recommended

CULTURE MATTERSMariah Carey being sued over holiday hit 'All I Want for Christmas Is You'
However, the lawsuit argues that Carey and the other defendants “never sought or obtained permission” to use, reproduce or distribute Stone's song which was a "copyrightable subject matter" prior Carey's 1994 release.
Attorneys representing Stone did not immediately respond to requests for comment.
Sony and Afanasieff as well as representatives of Carey also did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

• Haha
Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
yo-mariah-carey-good-job.jpg

Yep.... "Mozart-level" work no doubt whatsoever. :p ;)

Last edited:

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
yo-mariah-carey-good-job.jpg

Yep.... "Mozart-level" work no doubt whatsoever. :p ;)
Ah, but Mozart did "borrow" once for one of his biggest hits. Just that no one mentions it in the program notes. Great ones can get away with it because they inject their own "signature enhancements" unique to them. Mozart is a more lyrical composer than the technical Clementi, and it shows. The same effect is present in "Emotions", which borrows from Cheryl Lynn's "Got to Be Real" and The Emotions "Best of My Love". Yes, Mariah did pony up a settlement, but the guy who sued doesn't get a payday if she didn't "cheat".
This is what the general public collectively "knows" about a very famous theme now. (Time 1:43)

This is who cooked up the theme first. The cadenza is not from back then; those were expected to be improvised, and thus not published with the music. Such a feature makes salient the fact that musicians then share far more in common with modern musicians than modern classically trained performer. Gotta make your own jams, not revere what only got preserved in the score

But, though based on the same opening theme, the Magic Flute introduces Mozart's very unique "vocal" flavour to the work. Contrapuntal "singing" throughout between differing sections of the orchestra.

Now unlike modern times, Clementi had no recourse for the "theft". Not to mention Mozart is was not high in his opinion of Clementi's musicality based on his letters.

• Haha

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
1654452556241.png
1654452597979.png
Mozart does a lot in the Piano Concerto No. 17, but I'll start with a small slice of what I see as melismatic writing.
The work starts with a orchestra only. This is basically the "song" in its barest, most simple, least explored form. What it is establishes...is the songwriting credentials of Mozart for orchestra.
This concerto is the first to have independent winds, previous ones had them as optional. They were written with "a quattro".
The concerto was written for Barbara Ployer, which is valuable because while she had musicality, she did not have the full scope of Mozart's abilities. Thus, the keyboard deviations from the orchestral intro are written out in full.

1654453079649.png
On the far right of the page, is the beginning of the piano solo. A little rising scalar passage is present. Not insignificant, as it leads into the main theme proper. It is also melisma, as leads up to the "D" of the opening theme.

1654453300698.png
The piano part's harmonization is different from the orchestra intro, employin an Alberti bass. The opening theme's rhythms in the last two measure of the pic are modified from the original dotted rhythms into three 16th notes.

1654453565784.png
The piano recalls the descending "B", "A", "G" playing it straight like the orchestra in the intro. But when the winds repeat it, the piano plays a scalar passage to harmonize with the winds instead of just playing the exact same notes.

The two whole notes played by the orchestra, "E" and then "D", are repeat with a difference in inflection, with "p" instead of "f". The difference in volume has an impact on the feel of the moment. While the orchestra repeats, the piano, doesn't just follow along, but rather plays a broken syncopated chord in the right hand to harmonize with the orchestra.

• Haha

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
this thread needs more lambs.

4 or 5 hours old in this photo, we had a black and white pair from another ewe last night as well.

Attachments

• PXL_20220603_134547936.jpg
    PXL_20220603_134547936.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 5

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
if only @Mixolydian was here to enjoy this post
Last active in 2018. I didn't get exposed to JoJo(the seminal "new age" of music listening for me) until summer of 2019. It wasn't after listening to her re-recordings of her original albums I put two-and-two together and listened to the 17th piano concerto after years of not listening to it. The "musical entity" remains the same even though the notes themselves can be change in the hands of a master.

I was a Mozart opera freak in my high school days. Would borrow and buy all varieties of Mozart opera recordings. I also studied the 17th piano concerto in high school. No doubt I didn't play it that well, when one has the mindset of just being able to play the notes of the piano part(with the teacher play an abbreviated accompaniment) and not appreciate the composition as a whole.

Mozart was a opera man too, just like both JoJo and Mariah's mom are from the opera crowd. The tendencies never go away once learned. ;)

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Well, I finally did listen to the Music Box album. Now, whenever I hear new music, the feels after the first time hearing something usually will never be the same as on repeat--this happened with Emotions as the repeat listens led to getting hooked and hearing far more skill and depth in her songwriting than the "lightness" may initially indicate--...but the the initial feels that there is indeed much more constraint on this album...but what really caught my attention was the song Music Box triggering a feeling of similarity with another work of music. This time, Chrono Trigger, and specifically "To Good Friends".

Mariah Carey was not the first person I likened to Mozart. Oh no, it was Yasunori Mitsuda and I held that view much ealier(like starting in my teens). Like the 18th century master, he too could make impact with the simplest and leanest of "musical entities'.
He also was a bit of a "thief", with sounds of Rick Astley(Mitsuda denies everything....suuure...probably doesn't want a lawsuit) and "Sirius" being far too similar to be mere coincidence. Music Box came out in 1993 while Chrono Trigger was released in 1995. Thus, Mitsuda would be in proximity to Mariah, who basically took the Japanese collective by storm.

The progression is not exactly the same...but a prima facie case for inspiration at least...is there. Also, the Chrono Trigger is quite better....imo.

Hero and Anytime You Need a Friend was heard before. I was able to surmise that Anytime You Need a Friend was "Mariah" despite first encountering it in the grocery store.(I wanted to listen to the music blind)

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I had lamb twice this week. The birria Zacatecana was the third best lamb I've ever had. The lamb burger was okay.

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
I think you have outgrown these forums and you are ready to move on to bigger and better things.