It is time for me to grow and become a complete lamb initiate

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
As some of you folks may be a aware, I am a Mariah Carey "fan" and admirer, but the actual breadth of songs I have listened to her sing are actually scant, approximately seven, if my memory serves me right. Fantasy was the earliest, but I didn't know it was sung by her since my exposure was watching the movie Rush Hour. But the most significant track was Always Be My Baby.

Well, it's time change that. I'm gonna start listening to whatever I haven't heard her sing yet.

Not the first time I've tried to go through an entire catalogue of works. I did listen to 86 CDs of Beethoven to listen his complete selection of works. Brilliant Classics released that...but the CDs sure showed their cheap production, as some were pressed poorly.

Fantasy
Always Be My Baby
All I want for Christmas is You
Heartbreaker
Duet with Olivia-Newton John of "Hopelessly Devoted to You"
Vision of Love
Anytime You Need a Friend
Cover of Help Make it Through the Night

And as a bonus, two works that remind me of Mariah's style
Piano Concerto no. 21, mvt 2 by Mozart(the thing used in Elvira Madigan and ABMB convey similar moods)
Clarinet Concerto, performed with a basset clarinet by Sabine Meyer

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Your brain is bass ackwards. At best you can say Carey reminds you of Mozart on account of Wolfgang being from the 18th century. And that is a crap opinion anyway, one is a composer, the other a singer.

Reactions: Captante

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
wait, why are beethoven and mariah carey being mentioned in the same post?
I have listened to his entire collection.

They massively infuenced their respective societies for years to come. Just as the scherzo become standard operating procedure, she made the collabs with rappers not only mainstream and acceptable, but profitable.

And they are prodigies who took full advantage of their instrument and technical gifts.

I'm just letting people know of my background. I was a 18th century "Classical" initiate from 8th grade onwards. Got a bunch of opera recordings. The Marriage of Figaro is the best of Mozart's operas.

Your brain is bass ackwards. At best you can say Carey reminds you of Mozart on account of Wolfgang being from the 18th century. And that is a crap opinion anyway, one is a composer, the other a singer.
She's a walking woodwind instrument.

Mozart was a performer/composer/improviser. Thus, his talents are more akin to a jazz composer or certain guitarists who can do a fresh solo at live concerts instead of sticking to the record. Pianists these days are likely to composition-autistics; they couldn't be able to write their way out of a paper bag, and many brave enough to try their hand at writing a piano concerto cadenza for Mozart's piano concerto usually wind up with deranged, deficient efforts.

Given that at least one of the instruments in Wolfgang's time often had a tone that died quickly(fortepiano), he necessarily had to write music to compensate for such weakness, hence his piano music is quasi-melismatic. It is in the works where he could have the ability to perform as soloist where his ability to layer harmonies onto the original basic song the orchestra introduces.

Something like his piano concerto 17, had the orchestra play straight whole notes. But when the piano hits those moments, he first utilized syncopated a broken A minor chord and then then same to a broken G major chord to harmonize with those whole notes and then scales for the beginning of the recapitulation.

And Mozart was a skilled vocal songwriter. His wife could sing, but it was his wife's sister, Joespha, that even allow him to form the basis for the "Queen of the Night". The master knew how to write to the skill level of his singers and then integrate these different level together in that opera as well, since not everyone could sing like Josepha.

Furthermore, having actually played Mozart, his masterful abilities is through his ability to make the profound sounds from the most mundane, cliched even, musical constructs. A scale here, a broken chord there.

Sure, let's just credit Marguiles, Afanasieff, etc and not the singer who knows her own instrument the best. Such a charge could be legitimate for a Shania Twain, who obviously doesn't make songs without her skilled former hubby writing the songs.

• Haha

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
LoL Mozart's name is still known because of his compositions, not because he was a piano playing prodigy. That is just tidbits of his genius. What has Mariah Carey got to do with that?

BTW I think Mariah is a great singer. But that has nothing to do with Mozart...

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
images

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
"All I want for Christmas is You"... heard it enough today to last me a lifetime. I think it came on twice.

• Haha
Reactions: skyking

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I thought this thread was about delicious lamb dishes.

Son, I am disappoint.
As well.

Today I had a fantastic Greek lamb dish which is a ton of onions cooking in a clay pot in the oven with lamb in a tomato sauce spiced with cinnamon and cumin. We usually have this at Christmas in my family so my mom makes it every year. It was perfect this year.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Initiation started and completed.

Listened to her first album at a few times. Seem like one of her most striking abilities is literally the first notes she sings in every song. They are delivered with such musical effectiveness.

She has a way with words too. A prodigious lexicon. You can't forget "hastily" after hearing "You Need Me".

Out of all the tracks, I think I like Vision of You the least.

The final track, "Love Takes Time" certainly ventures into the realm of the ethereal and presents a similar mood to Beethoven Piano Trio Op. 1, No. 3's hymm-like second movement.

For someone just 18 then, she knows intuitively what varied repeats(an essential and expected part of performance back in the 18th century) are and has a never-ending wellspring of new methods to change things up when the general backing theme is repeated. Not only are the musical entities(like long notes, scales and other rapid transitions) technically impressive, they are also musically effective.

She can effectively convey whatever mood the song calls for. If it needs aggression and bite, she can do it. If it needs pure lyricism, she can do that too. A little "mystery" like "Sent From Up Above"

• Haha

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I would listen to the entire Motorhead discography for... twenty bucks? Yeah, that seems fair. I've never listened to a full Motorhead album.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
yeah...no thanks. Some of her music is OK, I guess. I wouldn't pay a dime for her entire catalog...but most of it doesn't make me want to rip off my ears. She, however is a fucking cow who should be put out to pasture.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
I think this topic has run it's predictable course.

Time to start posting lamb recipes instead and make this thread awesome.

• Haha