Israel weighs ban on UN human rights council probe

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
I don`t mean to sound all pro-Israel ...............but I am in favor of this move by Israel!!

http://news.yahoo.com/israel-weighs-ban-un-human-rights-council-probe-133713128.html

JERUSALEM (AP) — Israeli Cabinet ministers were in an uproar Sunday over the U.N. Human Rights Council's plan to investigate Israeli settlement in the West Bank and east Jerusalem, and some urged that the panel be banned from entering Israel and the Palestinian territories.

Israel's Security Cabinet, made up of senior ministers, was set to meet later Sunday to discuss the planned visit, an official said, speaking on condition of anonymity because the meeting's agenda was classified.

Last week the U.N. council voted to send a fact-finding team to investigate Israeli settlement construction in a resolution that also condemned such activity. It was one of five resolutions critical of Israel passed on the same day.

Israel accuses the council of having a pronounced anti-Israel bias because of its disproportionate focus on Israeli policy and actions toward the Palestinians, while it ignores human rights abuses in countries such as Iran and Arab nations.

"It's clear the Palestinians are preparing a Goldstone 2 (report)," Deputy Foreign Minister Danny Ayalon, who wants the council banned, told Israel Radio on Sunday.

Ayalon was referring to a U.N.-commissioned report by South African jurist Richard Goldstone about Israel's war in the Gaza Strip three years ago, aimed at stopping daily rocket attacks.

Its allegation that Israeli forces intentionally fired at Palestinian civilians triggered outrage in Israel and widespread condemnation of its wartime conduct. Goldstone later retracted that accusation.

The Israeli official said Cabinet ministers would also discuss how to respond to this week's planned marches toward Israel's borders announced by pro-Palestinian activists in Syria, Lebanon, Jordan and Egypt. The plans have touched off jitters in Israel because last May, thousands of Arab protesters took Israel by surprise marching on its frontiers, sparking clashes that killed at least 15.

March 30 marks Land Day, a traditional day of protests by Arab-Israelis and Palestinians against the Israeli confiscation of Arab land.

Good. Ban them.

m_110512tt.jpg

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_rights_in_the_United_States

There you go.
Have at it, I see how you debate, not going to play

You mean by actually wanting you to post specifics, instead of saying "Gitmo" and thinking I am supposed to divine your meaning from that?

Seriously, post specifics. You obviously feel you have them, post them.

From that link you just provided, it appears you say the US Supreme Court saying US Citzens having the right to Habeas Corpus is a human rights violation.

Seriously, giving me a huge link and expecting me to divine your specifics in it is silly. Give me some quoted snippets. Work WITH me here.

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
You mean by actually wanting you to post specifics, instead of saying "Gitmo" and thinking I am supposed to divine your meaning from that?

Seriously, post specifics. You obviously feel you have them, post them.

From that link you just provided, it appears you say the US Supreme Court saying US Citzens having the right to Habeas Corpus is a human rights violation.

Seriously, giving me a huge link and expecting me to divine your specifics in it is silly. Give me some quoted snippets. Work WITH me here.

Use that little button inbetween the two big buttons on your mouse and scroll the web page.
You will find the answers
I'm not going to quote all that and ruin the thread for the people that can do it on their own

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
Use that little button inbetween the two big buttons on your mouse and scroll the web page.
You will find the answers

So you refuse to actually give specifics on what you mean? You want me to understand your position while refusing to provide the specifics I request. I am not asking for a lot, just quote the items you are talking about.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Another note worth Statement by Haybasusa is, "Yup, I knew about the handshake because I posted it. No sir I didn't like it and said as much before the war which I openly spoke against. But you are wrong (no surprise) about what Rumsfeld wanted with Saddam. We didn't "ask" him to do anything. What happened is that we made sure that Iran could not expand into Iraq and intelligence was our main support to him."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As Haybasusa has seeming bought that US propaganda version hook line and sinker

http://www.fff.org/comment/com0304p.asp

But those that look a little deeper find ample evidence that Rumsfeld was doing far far more. Its why we knew so much about Iraqi WMD, it was Rummy that arranged its purchase.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Another note worth Statement by Haybasusa is, "Yup, I knew about the handshake because I posted it. No sir I didn't like it and said as much before the war which I openly spoke against. But you are wrong (no surprise) about what Rumsfeld wanted with Saddam. We didn't "ask" him to do anything. What happened is that we made sure that Iran could not expand into Iraq and intelligence was our main support to him."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As Haybasusa has seeming bought that US propaganda version hook line and sinker

http://www.fff.org/comment/com0304p.asp

But those that look a little deeper find ample evidence that Rumsfeld was doing far far more. Its why we knew so much about Iraqi WMD, it was Rummy that arranged its purchase.
I keep forgetting you haven't much understanding as to military and intelligence matters so to help you out there is a difference between actively supplying and permitting arms. To be sure we did some of the former and permitted the latter. Now note I did not say that intelligence was the sole service or product provided? I suggest you parse my posts more carefully. Notwithstanding any of that the most important active support we provided was intelligence which was something badly needed by Saddam. If you don't understand situational awareness and its relative importance in the context of the times and players involved, perhaps someone else will educate you further.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Why do you say that when Israel has already agreed to the formation of a Palestinian state many times, with the Palestinians (and other arab nations) saying NO each time?

Heh. Netanyahu himself reneged on the Camp David accords, also from any agreements in principle made by his predecessors, and obviously actions speak louder than words.

Israel, under Netanyahu, will continue to nibble away at Palestinian territory- one field, one house, one housing development at a time until the idea of a two state solution is a practical impossibility. It's just a beard, cover for their true intentions, which their actions reveal.

http://forward.com/articles/143067/netanyahu-left-palestinians-with-no-choice-but-the/

Sep 12, 2004
Heh. Netanyahu himself reneged on the Camp David accords, also from any agreements in principle made by his predecessors, and obviously actions speak louder than words.

Israel, under Netanyahu, will continue to nibble away at Palestinian territory- one field, one house, one housing development at a time until the idea of a two state solution is a practical impossibility. It's just a beard, cover for their true intentions, which their actions reveal.

http://forward.com/articles/143067/netanyahu-left-palestinians-with-no-choice-but-the/
What agreements were made "in principle" by his predecessors? Every predecessor that has tried to make an agreement with the Palestinians has been refused by them. The Palestinians don't want negotiations. They want it their way or the highway and to hell with everyone else. For some reason they just don't quite seem to grasp that they do not have the upper hand in this.

Status
Not open for further replies.