Israel breaks another U.N resolution

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: The Green Bean
In a muslim state, jews are free to practice whatever religion they want, even have their own leadership for all internal matters.

Say what? Different sects of Muslims want each other dead. Since when are people in Muslim states free to practice a religion other than the state sponsored one?

imported_dna

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2006
Originally posted by: hopeless74
hello i posted this link in another thread but i dont think anybody read it. Its an article from Kathleen Christison, former CIA political analyst who has worked on the middle east for over 30 years. Read it:

I read it, and it doesn't seem to be more than propaganda, just for the fact ? as you so clearly noted ? that she has been an analyst for 30 years.

Well, I have to say that for 30 years of experience this piece doesn't contain a lot of analysis, particularly the corruption of the PA, which, quite remarkably, after 10 years and billions and billions of dollars in aid, hasn't managed to improve the life of Palestinians, yet was successful in escalating the level of violence. There is documented evidence that people as high up as Arafat have allocated money for arming militias, not to mention that North Korean ship seized on its way to gaza with tonnes of armament destined for the Hamas, Islamic Jihad, and other groups.

Other than that, Arafat and his pals managed to fatten up their swiss bank accounts. Good job guys!

imported_dna

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2006
Originally posted by: pickel
As much as I feel the Isrealis are the true cause of all the trumoil by creating a country out of other people's land, I also feel they have earned this land thru the right of passage. IMO, they gave up too early as should have marched into Damascus, once and for all, winner take all. They, like the United States policy, fall short on execution after they blunder into a military conflict. Sad for those who die in vain. When will they ever learn, when will they ever learn???????????

First, I'll have to ask you to justify your claim that it was "other people's land"; keep in mind that the Brits were in charge afte WW1, and prior to that it was the Ottomans, so it would be nice if you were precise on whose land it was.

Second, if I remember history correctly, it was international pressure in 1973 that stopped Israel from advancing onto Cairo and Damascus. I'm not sure if it was a similar situation in 1967. Nevertheless, Kissinger pressed for a cease fire in 73, and then worked towards a peace agreement between Egypt and Israel, which resulted in the return of the Sinai desert(?) to Egypt. I'm sure Egypt also benefitted from the fact it didn't have to blow the same large sums on its army in preparation for some future conflict with Israel.

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: dna
Originally posted by: pickel
As much as I feel the Isrealis are the true cause of all the trumoil by creating a country out of other people's land, I also feel they have earned this land thru the right of passage. IMO, they gave up too early as should have marched into Damascus, once and for all, winner take all. They, like the United States policy, fall short on execution after they blunder into a military conflict. Sad for those who die in vain. When will they ever learn, when will they ever learn???????????

First, I'll have to ask you to justify your claim that it was "other people's land"; keep in mind that the Brits were in charge afte WW1, and prior to that it was the Ottomans, so it would be nice if you were precise on whose land it was.

Second, if I remember history correctly, it was international pressure in 1973 that stopped Israel from advancing onto Cairo and Damascus. I'm not sure if it was a similar situation in 1967. Nevertheless, Kissinger pressed for a cease fire in 73, and then worked towards a peace agreement between Egypt and Israel, which resulted in the return of the Sinai desert(?) to Egypt. I'm sure Egypt also benefitted from the fact it didn't have to blow the same large sums on its army in preparation for some future conflict with Israel.
who lived on that land when the brits where in control? and who lived on that land when the ottoman empire was in control?

novon

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999

Say what? Different sects of Muslims want each other dead. Since when are people in Muslim states free to practice a religion other than the state sponsored one?

Since ancient times, a lot of palestinians are Christian. In Iran, Jews and Christians are respected and have their own places of worship, and representation in government. You may want to expand your understanding beyond what you learn from TV.

novon

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Iran?:shocked:

It just hit me ? you just admitted Hezbollah is Iran's tool.
I must congratulate you for finally seeing the light.

How's Israel not the US's tool? Both are wrong for arming and escalating the violence to achieve their interests. However, the recent Israel occupation was uncalled for.

yours truly

Golden Member
Aug 19, 2006
hello i posted this link in another thread but i dont think anybody read it. Its an article from Kathleen Christison, former CIA political analyst who has worked on the middle east for over 30 years. Read it:

I read it, and it doesn't seem to be more than propaganda, just for the fact ? as you so clearly noted ? that she has been an analyst for 30 years.

Well, I have to say that for 30 years of experience this piece doesn't contain a lot of analysis, particularly the corruption of the PA, which, quite remarkably, after 10 years and billions and billions of dollars in aid, hasn't managed to improve the life of Palestinians, yet was successful in escalating the level of violence. There is documented evidence that people as high up as Arafat have allocated money for arming militias, not to mention that North Korean ship seized on its way to gaza with tonnes of armament destined for the Hamas, Islamic Jihad, and other groups.

Other than that, Arafat and his pals managed to fatten up their swiss bank accounts. Good job guys!

how is it, if you protest against israel, its either propoganda or anti semtic?

Can you please show me anywhere in that article which is propoganda?

Extelleron

Diamond Member
Dec 26, 2005
Originally posted by: novon

How's Israel not the US's tool? Both are wrong for arming and escalating the violence to achieve their interests. However, the recent Israel occupation was uncalled for.

*brainwashed alert*

It's the muslim nations AROUND Israel who've AGGRESSIVELY tried to DESTROY Israel since it's creation. HEZBOLLAH MADE THE CHOICE TO FIRE ROCKETS INTO ISRAEL. ISRAEL DEFENDED ITSLEF BY INVADING.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

Since ancient times, a lot of palestinians are Christian. In Iran, Jews and Christians are respected and have their own places of worship, and representation in government. You may want to expand your understanding beyond what you learn from TV.

Yes, it sounds like Jews are greatly respected in Iran.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persian_Jews#Discrimination

The Green Bean

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2003
Originally posted by: BoberFett
In a muslim state, jews are free to practice whatever religion they want, even have their own leadership for all internal matters.

There is no real muslims states in existence sadly. A muslim once he says he is a muslim can not be killed no matter what his beleif is or what sect he follows. What is happening today has nothing to do with Islam.

The Green Bean

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2003

QFT 100% spot on

The Green Bean

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2003

Yes, it sounds like Jews are greatly respected in Iran.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persian_Jews#Discrimination

What about arabs being discriminated in Israel?

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

There is no real muslims states in existence sadly. A muslim once he says he is a muslim can not be killed no matter what his beleif is or what sect he follows. What is happening today has nothing to do with Islam.
If that's the case, it does nothing but prove that Islam is a sham, used to control the masses, much like Christianity. Congratulations on being a tool.

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

QFT 100% spot on
QFBS! We need a little spot remover, here. :thumbsdown: :frown: :thumbsdown:

imported_dna

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2006

If you don't know by know, focusing on a single aspect of an issue is propaganda.
Example: people wailing over Palestinian refugees, while ignoring Jewish refugees actually kicked out (in one way or another) from the Arab world.

imported_dna

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2006
Originally posted by: Czar
who lived on that land when the brits where in control? and who lived on that land when the ottoman empire was in control?

Although it is true that under the Ottomans the vast majority were Arabs, there were some Jws there, so you cannot claim that there were no Jews there. As time passed, demographics changed, and by 1948 I believe there were more or less an equal number of Jews and Arabs.

A demographic change is not proof that anything was stolen; you will have to prove that instead of using that age-old rheotric.

However, if you wish to stick to your guns, then I can equally claim that Muslim influx into Europe in the recent decades also consitutues as theft: they are stealing French, Dutch, and British land.

Happy now?

yours truly

Golden Member
Aug 19, 2006

If you don't know by know, focusing on a single aspect of an issue is propaganda.
Example: people wailing over Palestinian refugees, while ignoring Jewish refugees actually kicked out (in one way or another) from the Arab world.

how is this, focusing on a single aspect of an issue?

"As regards the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, peace activists who seek neutrality are in fact siding with Israel. Because they refuse to see realities on the ground, centrists cannot even imagine the scale of the oppression that Palestinians face at Israel?s hands. They cannot fathom the checkpoints, the roadblocks, the sniper shootings, the aerial bombardments, the assassinations, the settlements and Israeli-only bypass roads, the land confiscations, the bulldozing of olive groves, the demolition of homes and entire residential neighborhoods, the foul labyrinth of walls and fences that have imprisoned entire Palestinian villages, halted all movement, separated farmers from farmland, children from schools, the sick from hospitals, brothers from brothers. The centrists? silence and averted gaze grease the wheels of oppression that are in no way balanced by the occasional suicide bombing."