Isn't it fun watching Obama.....

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
But..but...but...Bush!!!

Hey look! Another mindless retort popular with those who can't bear to accept reality!

Thanks for illustrating what I said about being unoriginal. I suppose it would have sounded better if I was referring to GWB, but I'll take a cue from you guys this time and not stress about those 'details' and stuff. :)

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Much to be said bout the Loki point, but the GOP strategy has been, after losing their congressional majority in 11/2006, to step 1. lock step oppose everything the democrats want by the overuse of the filibister. then step 2. the GOP brags that the democrats can't get anything done.
the purge of the moderates started in 2006... if voters in blue states are going to vote out anyone with an R next to their name regardless of their specific politics (Chaffee and Sununu jump to mind), what options do the republicans have but to appeal to their base as strongly as possible?

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
the purge of the moderates started in 2006... if voters in blue states are going to vote out anyone with an R next to their name regardless of their specific politics (Chaffee and Sununu jump to mind), what options do the republicans have but to appeal to their base as strongly as possible?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ah but what is the republican base? Is it the GOP electorate that seems more to the left of far more radical right current GOP leadership.

Nor should Loki get a pass by blaming the electoral losses of some GOP moderates in blue and semi blue states, to only democrats, after all, the label of GOP moderate is not by itself enough to guarantee a GOP win when an equally qualified and maybe more liberal democrat is running against the GOP moderate.

And I submit we should be asking about the red States, where the GOP can choose to run a far right candidate that appeals to only the far right base of the Republican party or to run a GOP moderate that might not quite super fire up the radical right, but a GOP moderate is not in the same danger of totally alienating the more moderate elements of the GOP electorate.

In either case, in a RED RED state, the GOP can nominate a radical right candidate or a Moderate candidate, and be reasonable confident of winning the general election, but when the State is merely pink or pinkish blue, its a fools game for the GOP to nominate a far right candidate. Because the moderate GOP candidate will lose far fewer independent and moderate GOP voters, and as for the radical right, when presented with their second choice in a moderate, they have only the option of voting democratic. And do any of you think radical right GOP voters will vote democratic?

Truth be told, the radical right of the GOP makes up no more than 15-20% of the American electorate, and that small of a group can't muster the 50.1 % it takes to win in
the general election.