Is Windows 10 most pointless upgrade for gaming?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
You have a point but should we not be getting smarter as decades move forward?..Modern Windows is great for gaming and has taken a lot of the harder stuff like memory remapping away from DOS days.

It seems to me the simpler modern Windows has become, the more people like to moan and bitch, I don't remember that in the old DOS days, guess we were more of a learning bunch and less moaning bunch back then.
I was around in the MS DOS vs PC DOS (I found PC DOS was faster), and back then, only geeks used PC's, and no one really argued much, because we didn't have many forums. And people are not getting smarter over time. People are introduced to more technology over time, but their smarts haven't improved much.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
The reasoning behind it is back in those days only the really dedicated messed with it and you really had control (that and you really didn't have a choice but learn it if you wanted things to work). I'm older now, I fidget and fix things daily for work. I see daily how bad vendors and their QA are these days (everyone wants to blame it on complexity -- that is a double edged sword, quit bloating everything. When it comes to my own stuff, I just want things to work. I don't want to be bothered with forced updates, forced upgrades, etc. I want all that on my own time. P.S. As a whole maybe we're dumber because computers are much more mainstream, but I am still much more technology skilled now than I was back in the DOS days. Also, as everyone likes to state when it comes to bugs, things are way more complex now than they were then so maybe it just perception because the reality is over the years when Windows works, it has spoiled us.

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
The reasoning behind it is back in those days only the really dedicated messed with it and you really had control (that and you really didn't have a choice but learn it if you wanted things to work). I'm older now, I fidget and fix things daily for work. I see daily how bad vendors and their QA are these days (everyone wants to blame it on complexity -- that is a double edged sword, quit bloating everything. When it comes to my own stuff, I just want things to work. I don't want to be bothered with forced updates, forced upgrades, etc. I want all that on my own time. P.S. As a whole maybe we're dumber because computers are much more mainstream, but I am still much more technology skilled now than I was back in the DOS days. Also, as everyone likes to state when it comes to bugs, things are way more complex now than they were then so maybe it just perception because the reality is over the years when Windows works, it has spoiled us.

That part is the interesting part in all of this. Every version of Windows that had major overhauls was disliked at first. Usually they were fixed within a year or 2, but no one seems to let go of their 1st impressions, except in the case of XP. XP was bug ridden too, but it eventually was accepted by the masses, unlike Vista, which after a year or 2, worked as well as Windows 7. Windows 7 was well liked, because it was Vista, with all the fixes at the start, and a couple very minor changes. Windows 10 is Windows 8, with a few changes. It's pretty stable now. If Stability is your concern, there is nothing wrong with Win 10.

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
Yeah, XP was not amazing until SP2.

It was serviceable when it launched, especially so for me. I came from Windows ME.

Aug 11, 2008
Do a couple find/replaces, and your post basically could have been pulled from the AT archives circa 2007-08:

You're gonna like whatever windows you want to like and use whatever one you want to use, but it's just silly to act like windows is doomed. Win 10 has its flaws but it's absolutely better than Vista was, and Vista really wasn't as bad as most people seem to think. It may take two or three versions, but eventually MS will "get it right" again, everyone will upgrade (even the old Win 7 holdouts), and we'll go through this whole cycle again. Seriously, even up until 2010-11 there was a vocal minority of holdouts who loudly proclaimed that they would never give up XP... but they've all gone quiet.
Don't think I ever said Win 10 was worse than vista, although I have had more serious bugs with Win 10 than I had with either Vista or Win 7. For instance I had the Intel RST bug that uses 30% cpu at idle, as well as the losing wi-fi on waking from sleep bug. In fact the wake from sleep Wi-Fi bug has come back after the last update. And I have no idea how long I was wasting power with the Intel RST bug, which never let the cpu downclock, even at idle.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
You have a point but should we not be getting smarter as decades move forward?..Modern Windows is great for gaming and has taken a lot of the harder stuff like memory remapping away from DOS days.

It seems to me the simpler modern Windows has become, the more people like to moan and bitch, I don't remember that in the old DOS days, guess we were more of a learning bunch and less moaning bunch back then.

We are getting smarter. We figured out that operating an Operating System was dumb.

Cold Canuck

Mar 1, 2017
I think I'll stick with win7 until they shut it down in 2020, assuming they don't extend it...and that's only a couple of years away...my, how time flies

fcorona

Mar 15, 2017
I dislike how operating systems have basically become mobile on PC with app stores. I used Win 10 but the apps would stop working and I had to constantly reinstall them, switched back to Win 7. Only bummer is that some upcoming games will be Win 10/X-Box exclusives.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
I dislike how operating systems have basically become mobile on PC with app stores. I used Win 10 but the apps would stop working and I had to constantly reinstall them, switched back to Win 7. Only bummer is that some upcoming games will be Win 10/X-Box exclusives.

I fail to see how this is any different from downloading a program direct from a website. In windows 10 there's a single place to find those programs, and now it's bad? Nothing is stopping you from finding and installing programs the old way anyway, so it's an odd complaint.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
The way I see it, if you paid for Win10 (or even Win7 and got tricked into upgrading for that matter), none of that advertising stuff should be on or pushed by default. It should be off. Let's quit pretending they weren't trying to push things in a certain direction based on clueless people who wouldn't know what to do. It was underhanded and we all know it. They had an agenda. Win10 may very well be an awesome OS under all the BS, but it is still BS. This was WAY worse than "IE" being bundled with Windows debacle years ago. You actually are OK with all that? That's how we know everyone has gotten way too complacent and trusting. Also why our 'data' is worth more than our lives. I've never been a MS hater really, I just don't guinea pig their OS versions and let them get some bugs hashed out and improvements out, but the Win10 situation takes the cake, yet people gobble it down and make excuses for it.

I'm sure no one would ever know a real number but I would wager that at least 1/3 of the current Win10 users were tricked into upgrading and didn't/couldn't roll back and had no options - not because they 'loved' Win10. Watching Youtube videos of people trying to do things on Win10 and constantly having things pop up and them complain about it is hilarious.

Last edited:

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
The way I see it, if you paid for Win10 (or even Win7 and got tricked into upgrading for that matter), none of that advertising stuff should be on or pushed by default. It should be off. Let's quit pretending they weren't trying to push things in a certain direction based on clueless people who wouldn't know what to do. It was underhanded and we all know it. They had an agenda. Win10 may very well be an awesome OS under all the BS, but it is still BS. This was WAY worse than "IE" being bundled with Windows debacle years ago. You actually are OK with all that? That's how we know everyone has gotten way too complacent and trusting. Also why our 'data' is worth more than our lives. I've never been a MS hater really, I just don't guinea pig their OS versions and let them get some bugs hashed out and improvements out, but the Win10 situation takes the cake, yet people gobble it down and make excuses for it.

I'm sure no one would ever know a real number but I would wager that at least 1/3 of the current Win10 users were tricked into upgrading and didn't/couldn't roll back and had no options - not because they 'loved' Win10. Watching Youtube videos of people trying to do things on Win10 and constantly having things pop up and them complain about it is hilarious.
I honestly do not understand the complaint. What advertising are people getting? I've been using Windows 10 for well over a year, and have never had any advertising. The only thing I can guess is there are some tiled apps on the tiled Start menu which shows some advertising, something I just removed early on. Even if that is the case, they are the same damned programs which came with every Windows, only now they have animations, woop de doo. We uninstalled that stuff in Windows 95/98/XP/Vista/7/8 and now 10. Nothing changed in that regard. The only thing that has changed is the auto installation of Windows updates.

escrow4

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2013

You have a signed in smartphone? You have no privacy (or life arguably).

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
You have a signed in smartphone? You have no privacy (or life arguably).

And this is relevant why? Do I use my smartphone the same way I use my desktop? Hate to break it to you but not everyone lives on FB and snapchat.

escrow4

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2013
And this is relevant why? Do I use my smartphone the same way I use my desktop? Hate to break it to you but not everyone lives on FB and snapchat.

You have a signed in Google account? Google owns your data. Likewise Crapple or Windows Mobile.

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
What a shortsighted response.

I get emails (personal, school, and work) on my phone, check my bank and credit card accounts, shop, etc. Just because you think phones are nothing more than social network toys doesn't make it so.

The only ads I currently get in W10 are the Onedrive ones that recently started appearing. I haven't gotten annoyed with them enough yet to move away from OneDrive or figure out how to turn them off. But if I didn't use OneDrive, I wouldn't see any ads. And it was all configured within W10 itself.

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001

I'm going to repeat Bystander36's question.. What advertising are you speaking of? I'm not saying it's not there, nor am I saying it's a good thing. I'm just confused what ads are being shown where. I haven't seen any except on stupid freeish games like their Solitaire collection, which isn't part of Windows (and I *think* you can pay and turn off the ads)

nevbie

Jan 10, 2004
For normal users sticking with win7 makes sense as it is a mature gaming OS and it receives security updates.

Hopefully linux will be competitive enough in 2020s as Microsoft's current direction seems awful. Interesting to see how AMD's open source gpu drivers will improve by then, along with the usual wine stuff. The worse win10 gets, the better for longer term future.