Is wearing a mask infringing on our liberties and freedoms?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Is wearing a mask infringing on our liberties or freedoms?

• Yes

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • No

Votes: 72 93.5%

• Total voters
Nov 17, 2019
I go through this with most of my relatives. Everyone in their car must buckle up yet none of them wear a mask simply because they associate masks with government control. So I guess if seatbelt laws had been imposed today within today’s political atmosphere, then none of them would wear seatbelts either.
Both are over reaches and unacceptable. I do neither.

Nov 17, 2019
To be fair there was a huge push back on seat belts when seat belts and then laws came out too. They finally had to start fining people to actually get people to wear them.

They figured out a way to increase revenue by doing that.

desy

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2000
It is an infringement
However as pointed out lots of things infringe on freedom, because we live in a society . . . You want to be free? figure out where you can live without being in contact with another human being because as soon as you add another person the negotiation starts as to the 'rules' of your two person society

weblooker2021

Jan 18, 2021
Absolutely it does which is why I refuse to wear it unless i absolutely have to like to go inside a store. I refuse to wear it in the post office as i have "medical condition".

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Absolutely it does which is why I refuse to wear it unless i absolutely have to like to go inside a store. I refuse to wear it in the post office as i have "medical condition".
So basically what you're saying is you're a selfish child.

Wearing a mask is about the smallest thing that can be asked of anyone. It's an extremely mild discomfort that costs you essentially $0, and it's asked of you in order to combat a deadly airborne disease that's killed more than a half million Americans and caused immense economic damage. It's time to grow up and accept that you have a responsibility to other people.

Even if you're too terrible for that presumably you don't like the pandemic restrictions so the fastest way to end them is to ensure everyone wears masks.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
It is an infringement
However as pointed out lots of things infringe on freedom, because we live in a society . . . You want to be free? figure out where you can live without being in contact with another human being because as soon as you add another person the negotiation starts as to the 'rules' of your two person society

It's an infringement on "liberties or freedom" technically, but a de minimis one. Most importantly, it impinges on no legal "right" as people on the right often claim.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
A great many people did refuse to wear seatbelts back when those laws were first passed (80s/90s). With much the same objections.

yep. Like with every generation of stubborn, pants-shitting imbeciles that moan about the slightest change for the better in improving the lives of everyone around them, you just have to wait for the fugging idiots to die out for their baseless insanity to be silenced by reality.

very few people can actually change their mode of thinking, especially if they are aging lifelong idiots.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Amendment I
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.....

and forcing them to wear a mask while they do it is A-OK, even if no law has been passed.

Nope, i don't see any infringement.

you'd argue that your precious pocket constitution protects your desire to grenade little babies to death.

So, no one is going to listen to your bullshit, traitor.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
The difference being that you not wearing a seatbelt only endangers you.
Not wearing a seatbelt doesn't cause other drivers to crash through an airborne contagion
His chances of becoming deadly flying debris are low, but never zero.

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
The difference being that you not wearing a seatbelt only endangers you.
Not wearing a seatbelt doesn't cause other drivers to crash through an airborne contagion
I think you misunderstood me, what I meant was that wearing a seat belt also affects your family, if you die or are severely injured who do you think will pick up the pieces? it will not be me.

I always wear a belt when in a car. also not wearing a seat belt can send you through the windshield into another car.

Last edited:

weblooker2021

Jan 18, 2021
So basically what you're saying is you're a selfish child.

Wearing a mask is about the smallest thing that can be asked of anyone. It's an extremely mild discomfort that costs you essentially $0, and it's asked of you in order to combat a deadly airborne disease that's killed more than a half million Americans and caused immense economic damage. It's time to grow up and accept that you have a responsibility to other people.

Even if you're too terrible for that presumably you don't like the pandemic restrictions so the fastest way to end them is to ensure everyone wears masks.
What i am saying is that i am free American that refuse to do what government tells me to do . I refuse to protect other people and i don't care about my responsibility to others as I got none.

I think everyone already knows you're a selfish asshole from other threads but you sure like to keep reminding everyone about it.
I will make sue to remind everyone every chances i get.

liar.

you don't have a "medical condition," liar.
Yes i am a liar and there is nothing government employees can do to challenge me on that to verify if i got it or not.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
What i am saying is that i am free American that refuse to do what government tells me to do . I refuse to protect other people and i don't care about my responsibility to others as I got none.

Yes i am a liar and there is nothing government employees can do to challenge me on that to verify if i got it or not.
Thankfully your kind are dying off faster than you are replaced.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Thanks for proving my point, haha. This is the sort of response a petulant child would make.

You have a lot of growing up to do, but I get the feeling like if you were going to become an adult that would have happened already. I feel sorry for you.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
If you were made to wear a mask in your own home or on your own property, then that would be infringing on your rights. But, as far as I know, that is not being asked of people.