Is Wal-Mart good for America?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DarkKnight69

Golden Member
Jun 15, 2005
Originally posted by: AnonymouseUser
Originally posted by: Hammer
Originally posted by: DragonMasterAlex
Originally posted by: Shawn
If anyone's interested PBS has a program called Is Wal-Mart Good For America?. I had to watch this for my Sociology class and I was amazed by how much power wal-mart really has. It's amazing how many companies wal-mart has put out of business.

They were talking about how Wal-mart sets the prices and basically tells the manufacturers how much they are going to pay for something. I used to work for Publix and we had a meeting months back discussing the increasing competition from Wal-mart and how we had to earn our customers with customer service because we couldn't afford to make our prices as low as Wal-Mart's. My manager even said that Wal-Mart tells the manufacturers how much they are going to pay but Publix doesn't have that kind of power. So Publix pays a lot more for their goods than Wal-Mart does.

Wal-Mart deals in HUGE volume, far beyond what anyone else does. It only makes sense that they should get huge discounts. Anyone who's actually shopped at a Wal Mart knows, too, that WM DOES pass those savings on to the consumers. I have a close friend who's a teacher, and every year she buys packs of crayons, pens, paper, notebooks and other stuff in bulk at Wal Mart because the schools don't always provide adequate funding, particularly for those kids with f*ckups for parents. Every year she tells me she wouldn't know what to do without Wal Mart, because she wouldn't be able to afford to provide for those needy kids without WM's prices.

Wal Mart does a LOT of good for a LOT of people who otherwise wouldn't be able to afford much of anything. Are they unilaterally good across the board? Of course not, no one and nothing is unilaterally good. Everything has a downside. In spite of the naysayers, the whiners, the anti-corporate buffoons who'd prefer to see people shackled by outrageous regulation than be free to build a successful business as big as Wal Mart, the fact--FACT--is that WM does do a LOT of good. Anyone who says otherwise is just plain dishonest.

Jason

Those f*ckups likely work for WalMart and thus can't afford to buy their kids the supplies they need. On top of that, if not for the local and state governments having to pickup the healthcare tab for the majority of WalMart's employees, they would likely have more funding to cover those costs.

WalMart = Lose/Lose
what a fvcking idiot. you sound like you're one of these kids being raised by fsckups. there's no basis to anything you've said.

state and local govt picking up the tab?:laugh: where do you get this stuff?

Text

well, that's a good point in the article. i didn't know their deductible was so high. of course, we don't know if that's true or not. there's plenty of people here on AT that can probably confirm or deny that.

Even if it isn't any higher than most other employers, the fact that they pay their employees lower means it isn't nearly as affordable.

Compare what a wal-mart employee makes to any other big box retailer and they will be no different!

AnonymouseUser

Diamond Member
May 14, 2003
Originally posted by: DarkKnight69
Originally posted by: DragonMasterAlex
Originally posted by: Shawn
If anyone's interested PBS has a program called Is Wal-Mart Good For America?. I had to watch this for my Sociology class and I was amazed by how much power wal-mart really has. It's amazing how many companies wal-mart has put out of business.

They were talking about how Wal-mart sets the prices and basically tells the manufacturers how much they are going to pay for something. I used to work for Publix and we had a meeting months back discussing the increasing competition from Wal-mart and how we had to earn our customers with customer service because we couldn't afford to make our prices as low as Wal-Mart's. My manager even said that Wal-Mart tells the manufacturers how much they are going to pay but Publix doesn't have that kind of power. So Publix pays a lot more for their goods than Wal-Mart does.

Wal-Mart deals in HUGE volume, far beyond what anyone else does. It only makes sense that they should get huge discounts. Anyone who's actually shopped at a Wal Mart knows, too, that WM DOES pass those savings on to the consumers. I have a close friend who's a teacher, and every year she buys packs of crayons, pens, paper, notebooks and other stuff in bulk at Wal Mart because the schools don't always provide adequate funding, particularly for those kids with f*ckups for parents. Every year she tells me she wouldn't know what to do without Wal Mart, because she wouldn't be able to afford to provide for those needy kids without WM's prices.

Wal Mart does a LOT of good for a LOT of people who otherwise wouldn't be able to afford much of anything. Are they unilaterally good across the board? Of course not, no one and nothing is unilaterally good. Everything has a downside. In spite of the naysayers, the whiners, the anti-corporate buffoons who'd prefer to see people shackled by outrageous regulation than be free to build a successful business as big as Wal Mart, the fact--FACT--is that WM does do a LOT of good. Anyone who says otherwise is just plain dishonest.

Jason

Those f*ckups likely work for WalMart and thus can't afford to buy their kids the supplies they need. On top of that, if not for the local and state governments having to pickup the healthcare tab for the majority of WalMart's employees, they would likely have more funding to cover those costs.

WalMart = Lose/Lose
what a fvcking idiot. you sound like you're one of these kids being raised by fsckups. there's no basis to anything you've said.

state and local govt picking up the tab?:laugh: where do you get this stuff?

Text

well, that's a good point in the article. i didn't know their deductible was so high. of course, we don't know if that's true or not. there's plenty of people here on AT that can probably confirm or deny that.

Even if it isn't any higher than most other employers, the fact that they pay their employees lower means it isn't nearly as affordable.

Compare what a wal-mart employee makes to any other big box retailer and they will be no different!

Text : "Increasingly, Wal-Mart's immense arc of influence here is pushing wages and
benefits downward. With hundreds of thousands of its nearly 1.4 million
workers making under $7.50 an hour, before payroll deductions, (the average
wage is between $7.50 and $8.50 an hour), the average-on-the-clock workweek
is only 32 hours. Since Wal-Mart defines anyone working fewer than 34 hours
per week as part-time, they have to wait for two years before qualifying for
health insurance whose co-payment takes one-fifth of the average paycheck.
Get the idea of what is meant by the Wal-Mart way."

Costco : "Costco pays its full-time workers an average of more than $16 an hour, while also picking up 92 percent of the cost of employees' health-insurance premiums.

Wal-Mart pays its employees $9.69 an hour and 34 percent of workers' health-care costs. Fewer than half of Wal-Mart's employees qualify for the company health-care plan, but 82 percent of Costco workers are covered."

Text : "A report released in August by the UC Berkeley Labor Center, for example, found that inadequate compensation forces Wal-Mart employees in California to seek $86 million a year in state aid such as food stamps, Medicaid and subsidized housing. The report also concludes that if other retailers cut wages and benefits to Wal-Mart's levels, the annual cost to Californians would rise by $410 million."

Hammer

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
AnonymouseUser: its basic supply and demand. if they pay so little and have such bad benefits, these people should move onto other jobs. if they can't get other jobs, then you have to consider where they would be without walmart.

maddogchen

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2004
Walmart was great in helping out relief efforts after Hurricane Katrina and set an example to other corporations on how to help out in disaster relief.

-Walmart donated $20 million in cash donations.
-Sent 100 truckloads of free merchandise.
-Brought in food for 100,000 meals.
-Promised a job for every one of its displaced workers including helping to relocate them.
-Basic necessitites and even drug prescriptions were given out free for those in need in affected regions.

And Walmart was better prepared for Katrina than the government and FEMA. It had trucks
with supplies ready even before the hurricane hit and rushed in setting up small distribution centers where it gave out much needed supplies such as diapers and food to surviving residents. They also kept their stores that still remained open, about 100 out of 130 or so, and well stocked so that returning residents could still buy things.

BatmanNate

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
While far from evil, Walmart is a shoddy alternative to Costco at best for most of our purchases. The prices don't end up being much cheaper if at all for the items we buy frequently (milk for instance is 3.49/4gallons @ Costco) and the quality of merchandise, service (returns in particular), employees, warehouses, and customer respect and hygene is enough reason enough to shop there over Walmart, not even taking into account business practices, particularly regarding US produced merchandise. In my experience, a little planning and it's just as simple to save money shopping in club warehouses and supplementing with grocers, online retailers, and occasionally dep. stores (Target, Walmart, etc).

On the other side of the coin, if I was ever in such a pinch for a job as to seek in the retail sector, which company I would prefer to work for would not be a difficult decision. I am all for a free market, we will see which business strategy ends up on top in the long run, garbage in-garbage out equilibrium. ;)

miri

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2003
Originally posted by: DarkKnight69
I2. Wal-Mart does not take profit on every item they sell, in fact, most of the food products they take losses on. Why do they stock them?? So if you are on your way home and decide to get a gallon of milk, you might be tempted to buy that t-shirt too.

Walmart can afford to sell groceries at a loss, why do they do this? To put other grocery stores out of business.

KillerCharlie

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2005
There was like a 2 hour special on Wal-Mart on MSNBC. One of the leading Wal-Mart experts, a college professor, said although Wal-Mart has done many bad things, overall it has benefited the the country and the economy by driving down inflation.

Staples

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2001
I saw it when it originally aired in March or so. It was a good documentry. Is Walmart good for America?

No, I don't think so but other big retailers are starting to get power hungry too and will abuse power just like Walmart does.