Is UT3 Worth it

EvilComputer92

Golden Member
Aug 25, 2004

So I'm a huge fan of the UT games, UT99 much more so than UT2004, and it seems this game is getting a lot of bad press and poor sales. I enjoyed the beta demo a lot, but I'm a bit hesitant to buy it. I usually play with bots on any UT game, not online, so the online community isn't too much of an issue. I'm more worried about the effect this will have on the mod community, with so few people playing the game. Mods are what has always kept UT games going for years.

Has anyone bought the game yet? What maps does it ship with? Also are there any custom maps being made, or is the community still practicing with the editor.

Also, can someone explain what Unreal Warfare really is? A merge of Onslaught and Assault is what I've heard, with some resource gathering involved.

Pugnate

Jun 25, 2006
If you are a huge UT fan like myself, I'd say it is definitely worth it. Some of the CTF games are totally awesome, and will have plenty of moments awesome enough to make you laugh out in joy.

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001
I'd say wait for the bargain bin, but don't trust my opinion. I'm thoroughly disgusted with this UT release. I guess if you're one of the few who liked the demo, then maybe you'll like the game.

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
Considering the demo had two of the worst maps in the game (Suspense & Heatray), & you enjoyed that, you most definitely should buy the game & join in online too :)

And Warfare is indeed a mixture of ONS & AS.

I'd say it's more ONS with orbs, which adds a very different strategy to things, but some maps do allow for AS-like objectives which can help in winning or turning the tide.

Personally, i never really enjoyed AS really in 2k4, so i don't care that it's gone, but i would like to see pure ONS return.
I do very much enjoy WAR, but pure ONS would be kinda nice also.

Anyway, seriously, get the game.

The whole reason for the "bad press" isn't the press at all, it's the ridiculously picky community, which quite frankly, is about the hardest to please, & will pick apart everything.

The "press" reviewed UT3 very well, & said it's lots of mad-paced fun like usual, which it is.

Perfect game? Hell no.

But if you enjoy awesome fast-paced violence against bots offline or humans online, it's lots of fun.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
UT3, in my opinion, is a very good game on its own. It has plenty of great moments. I bought it and I do not regret it.

But I still prefer UT2004 mainly due to the custom Invasion servers I play on. If UT3 had Invasion out of the box (which I fully expected to be there but alas, it's not) then I would probably quit UT2004 altogether, since I mostly play Invasion, either off-line or on-line, I rarely play Deathmatch games or Team Deathmatch because I preferred to play those "classic" modes in UT99.

Pugnate

Jun 25, 2006
I think this is why the PC games industry is having problems. PC gamers on the net seem to be the bitchiest of them all, and seem to just hate everything. I mean alright, the game may not be to your taste, but if you can't recognize that UT3 is a good game just because you don't like the changes, really makes me sorry for the state of PC gaming fans. It is one thing to say that "I didn't like it as much because of the changes", and is another to say "fans hate the game" or "I am disgusted by this game".

This is the problem with PC gamers. We are the most unreasonable, extreme, and bitchiest gamers on the net.

It isn't just this.

Great games like F.E.A.R., Crysis, Supreme Commander and Bioshock have loads of PC fans screaming "hate".

That's just stupid and makes me feel sorry for the state of the PC gaming community. Sure all those games have their own respective downsides, but to hate those games purely because of a few changes you didn't like, makes you a retard.

*sigh*

Anyway UT3 is an extremely solid title, that you will rate between the mid 80s and low 90s depending on how you like the changes. The point is that your opinion of it should range from good to excellent, and if someone tells you otherwise, they are an idiot.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Originally posted by: Pugnate
I think this is why the PC games industry is having problems. PC gamers on the net seem to be the bitchiest of them all, and seem to just hate everything. I mean alright, the game may not be to your taste, but if you can't recognize that UT3 is a good game just because you don't like the changes, really makes me sorry for the state of PC gaming fans. It is one thing to say that "I didn't like it as much because of the changes", and is another to say "fans hate the game" or "I am disgusted by this game".

This is the problem with PC gamers. We are the most unreasonable, extreme, and bitchiest gamers on the net.

It isn't just this.

Great games like F.E.A.R., Crysis, Supreme Commander and Bioshock have loads of PC fans screaming "hate".

That's just stupid and makes me feel sorry for the state of the PC gaming community. Sure all those games have their own respective downsides, but to hate those games purely because of a few changes you didn't like, makes you a retard.

*sigh*

Anyway UT3 is an extremely solid title, that you will rate between the mid 80s and low 90s depending on how you like the changes. The point is that your opinion of it should range from good to excellent, and if someone tells you otherwise, they are an idiot.

I respectfully disagree.

Everyone has the right to dislike a game due to the changes made compared to the original product(s)/franchise(s). It does not make them idiots. Most of the gamers who can't stand too much change over the years are the nostalgic ones. They spent many months/years playing those games and they eventually standardized its features/limits. They have the right to judge a game, especially if they legitimately bought it (if they didn't that's another story, if they didn't they can still objectively observe the downsides, but their complaints and opinions have no value whatsoever, and certainly no reach to the developers themselves).

I'll take UT2004/UT3 and myself as an example since it's the main subject.

As I said, I love UT2004's Invasion mode. It's the whole collaboration principle that drives me back to that game-play mode more than any others available for the game. It's the team work needed to overcome the invading monsters, and the fact that, for once, it's not focused on humans-against-humans battles like in so many other FPS'es around. But that's my two cents on that mode, I just love it, others hate it, but do I give a damn ? No of course I don't. I do know that there's that server where I keep playing (Monster Madness to name it) where it's always full during day time, and where so much action goes on that the server can often barely maintain a good connection for everyone.

The community on that server is awesome, and most of the players are regulars, some are veterans, playing there since day one. We have nice discussions between us, we laugh, we have fun as a community. I really like it.

Now, UT3 gets announced, nice !

Then I tell myself "oh my, those graphics, I can't imagine how cool Invasion will be !"

I read a few reviews, I notice there's no Invasion, then I tell myself "dammit, that sucks bad, but let's try the Demo, at least". Which I did, and I liked it enough to buy the game anyway because I know that, eventually, Invasion will be modded in by the community, it's just a question of time. But then ... WHY would I *have to* wait ? I still have UT2004 meanwhile. Do I *have to* move on to UT3 and leave all my friends behind in the dust over at Monster Madness ? Hummm, no ? No thanks indeed. I'm gonna stay with 'em, have fun with 'em, and when they decide to move on to UT3 as a community then I will follow, that's for sure.

What you need to understand is that for a game like UT, what matters isn't exactly the "new features", nor the graphics. What matters most is the community, well at least I see it that way. If no one cares about the community then what's the goal to even buy such a game ? To always play it off-line ? Well, why not, there are bots, that's cool, but I know I prefer to play with friendly humans (notice "friendly", that's the key word).

UT3 is new, it made changes, but it did NOT bring "my community" over with it. Nope, it stayed behind with UT2004 still, and I'm fine with that. I don't just want to play a game on-line because it has "great features" and because it "changes things". I want to play on-line because I know in advance that I'm going to have fun with the players I play with, either because I know them already or because that community (that "server") is already known to be friendly towards newbies, which we all know is almost never the case in on-line gaming, and it doesn't just apply to FPS'es.

I'm fine with UT2004, and I prefer the actual Invasion game-play over anything that UT3 has to offer, which means that I do not necessarily like the changes, which in turns just means that, and nothing else. Why would YOU even care about what I think of UT3 anyways ? Because you think that people who have reasons, either good or not to your eyes and ears make them idiots because YOU like the changes and move over to the new game and they didn't ? That's nonsense to its purest form.

Oct 30, 2004
Originally posted by: MmmSkyscraper
From what I've read, the old-school UT fans hate UT3 more than anyone else.

I don't think that's completely accurate. Many UT99 fans loved it. Others liked the game play but hated the consolized user interface and server browser and others just don't have the hardware for it.

I'm a diehard UT99 fan and I love UT3's game play. I recommend buying it, perhaps from a place like GoGamer.com. A low-poly custom map pack with about 9 maps has already been released and I'm sure that more maps and mods are on the way. I'm working on a CTF map right now myself. A DOM mod is also underway.

May I suggest that you consider playing online multiplayer? It's lots of fun and real humans are more challenging than bots. You might even bump into me on one of the servers! You might also want to check out some UT-fan websites (where you can keep up with news about mods and whatnot):

http://www.BeyondUnreal.com
http://www.UnrealNA.com
http://www.UnrealPlayground.com (ready to offer UT3 maps for download)
http://gearsforums.epicgames.com/ (Epic's forums)

Warfare is lots of fun. It's basically a modified version of Onslaught with some new vehicles, a powerful bomb/flag-like Orb, and a faster pace.

Oct 30, 2004
Regarding the negativity surrounding the game -- most of it is not about the game play itself but rather the consolized user interface and server browser. The server browser has improved some with the first patch (but has a ways to go) and the user interface is icky, but if you can deal with that, the game play is excellent IMHO. Regarding Invasion; I bet that a custom Invasion and Invasion-RPG mod is in the works.

If a polished version of the game had been released as the Demo or as the Retail version, it would probably be a big hit amongst previous UT players.

Sure, I could continue playing UT 2004 Invasion-RPG and Onslaught and UT 99 CTF pug matches (still do the later since I have lots of friends in that community), but I'm all in for UT3 and I'm still holding out hope that it will bubble up to prominence. The fundamentals of the game play are solid, so it has a chance.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004

BS, UT3's biggest pile of garbage I've ever played. I'm not talking about the changes from 2k4 that I don't like either...

No WebAdmin for servers

Getting randomly reset to the default avatar

Almost completely useless secondary flak

Useless UI, with almost no customization of the game available

Horrible graphics. You have the choice of grainy/blurry with a nice glow on some objects, or enhanced 2k4 graphics.

Can't bind taunts/commands

Server browser's almost useless even after patch

The list goes on and on... This is the worst UT release of them all. After playing the demo I knew it would take until first quarter next year to get everything right. Well, they released it anyway... They deserve the poor sales and bad reviews if that's the way they're going to play. They released a beta demo to get problems fixed, and they didn't fix them. Maybe they'll learn from this and UT4 will be a better title.

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001
Originally posted by: lxskllr

BS, UT3's biggest pile of garbage I've ever played. I'm not talking about the changes from 2k4 that I don't like either...

No WebAdmin for servers

Horrible graphics. You have the choice of grainy/blurry with a nice glow on some objects, or enhanced 2k4 graphics.

The list goes on and on... This is the worst UT release of them all. After playing the demo I knew it would take until first quarter next year to get everything right. Well, they released it anyway... They deserve the poor sales and bad reviews if that's the way they're going to play. They released a beta demo to get problems fixed, and they didn't fix them. Maybe they'll learn from this and UT4 will be a better title.
This is my feelings exactly. It's not about being picky or retarded. UT3 was a huge step backwards for the series, and I'm not talking about gameplay; the gameplay is fine.

You guys want to buy unfinished games and give devs a free pass on shitty releases, go right ahead.

JBT

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
meh I didn't like the demo. I liked UT99 and a I loved UT04 ONS matches. So while im not a die hard UTer the demo really just didn't satisfy me. Perhaps I would like the WAR mode of UT3 but frankly all my game time goes to CoD4 for now and the forseeable future.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
What you need to understand is that for a game like UT, what matters isn't exactly the "new features", nor the graphics. What matters most is the community, well at least I see it that way. If no one cares about the community then what's the goal to even buy such a game ? To always play it off-line ? Well, why not, there are bots, that's cool, but I know I prefer to play with friendly humans (notice "friendly", that's the key word).

I agree, and this is the main thing preventing me from buying it as I mentioned in the last thread. The active community seems to be utterly tiny right now, which means few games being played and ever fewer maps and mods being made. A multiplayer oriented game like this needs a sizeable community to be fun, no matter how good it is otherwise.

FreshPrince

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2001
so far I am not impressed.

the game like many have said, actually looks worse than 2k4. it's also a much bigger bloatware meaning what's with the long load times?

In 2k4, I can hit ctrl+esc, do something in windows, and jump right back into the game. It UT3, that's no longer possible and it locks up my comp too often.

Pugnate

Jun 25, 2006

No WebAdmin for servers

It is trollish posts like these that are hurting PC gaming.

So it needs a little work in terms of it being customizable. That makes it disgusting?

Seriously now.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004

No WebAdmin for servers

So it needs a little work in terms of it being customizable. That makes it disgusting?

Seriously now.

Yea seriously... It needs a lot more than a "little work". Most of the world agrees with me also. Where's the online players? where are all the forum people jumping on me for bashing a AAA release? Sure it has a few fans, but not enough to support a game. I have tons of friends that I've met playing UT. The number of people that outright like it is probably around 10%, another 60% are ambivalent about it, and the rest of them hate it like I do. I guess they're all wrong also...

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Originally posted by: jjones
You guys want to buy unfinished games and give devs a free pass on shitty releases, go right ahead.

Personally I'd rather have a game that's not entirely finished a little sooner than have to wait for a game that's been beta tested to death. It's all about release date to me.

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001

No WebAdmin for servers

Seriously now.
What's trollish about his post? It's the way he feels about it and so do a LOT of other UT fans. Go visit the various forums, Epic included, and you'll see this sentiment echoed over and over. On release, this game needed much more than "a little work".

Someone asked what I thought of it after a month since release. I said after a month, it could have used several more months to fix most of the issues that the beta demo exposed. They released a beta demo and then released the full game shortly after as is. What the hell was the point of the beta demo?

This game was pushed out the door by Midway, anxious to cash in on Christmas season sales. We'll see how that works out for them; so far it hasn't worked out too well at all.

Randum

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2004
Just got it for the PC for christmas, and I had about a week of play on the ps3. Both version are very similar- but more players appear to be on the PC. and really if you like fast FPS, unreal3 is it. And if it helps it seems to run well on even, and older system.

And you can debate until you are blue in the face with which is better ut99 ut2k4...whatever the case may be , there will always be people opposed to the new installment of any IP....so with that being said- if you like unreal, get it- if you havent played unreal before, then you are in for a gameplay and visual treat-hopefully the community will continue to grow

Lamont Burns

Platinum Member
Dec 13, 2002
Originally posted by: Nebor
Originally posted by: jjones

Personally I'd rather have a game that's not entirely finished a little sooner than have to wait for a game that's been beta tested to death. It's all about release date to me.

They chose a terrible release date both for the Beta Demo and full release. They even left the disc titled RC-7... release candidate 7. Yes I know it could be the final... but we all know it wasn't finished.

I made a ground only vehicle fly the other day, repeatedly. Good times.

I am convinced DM is the only thing worth the money. The balance there and action is solid. However for someone new to the series, prepare to be torn apart repeatedly by the majority of the few people that bought the game being "Old Schoolers".

perzy

Dec 19, 2007
It sure will be worth it (i hope) when a good sniper mod is out. UT99 Sniper is really something and I have been playing that for years. Fantastic gameplay, but of course graphics from 99 is aged.
Hopes are that UT3 could be the sniper that UT2004 was not.

Oct 30, 2004

IMHO, whoever made the decision to release the horrible Demo in Alpha-Beta condition and whoever made the decision to release a Beta as retail at the same time all of these other big titles were coming out should be fired. They should have waited for a better time to release the game when fewer or no other big titles were being released and then they would have had time to polish it up. Also, more people would have better hardware for the game.

Based on what I've read, the primary reason why people don't like the game is not the game play itself but everything that surrounds it--the server browser, the consolized user interface, and the bugs, etc. Most UT99 players that I know (from the ProUnreal.com and irc.GameRadius.net communities) who tried the Demo liked the game play and were excited about the game.