Is this true? The Food Stamp Capital of the U.S. is WHITE and REPUBLICAN

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
Looks like they had two primary sources of income: (1) coal mining and (2) tabacco farming.

Says the govt bought out the tabacco farms. So those are gone along with the jobs.

Coal mining appears to have stopped as well.

Fern

I can really only speak to my area, but it is very similar to Kentucky. My brother's girlfriend is actually from the area in Kentucky that the article is about. They are both studying at the graduate level now in creative writing. Curiously, writers from the midwest are in large demand. Daniel Woodrell broke open the market for a midwestern perspective (hails from the Ozarks).

Anyway, the major places people work in my area are: government jobs (teacher, cop, etc), service (Walmart, grocery store, lumber yard, yard work, etc), agriculture, coal mines, bit companies, and a smattering of random industrial businesses. The coal mines recently opened again in several surrounding areas. The problem with IL is we have a lot of sulfur in the coal, but new processing technologies have allowed us to remove or capture a significant amount. Having lived in a poorer area for years lets me see that its not always about people being lazy. There are really not many jobs for them and hardly any of them lead anywhere higher than $15-20 per hour and even then a lot aren't consistent work.

Agriculture seems like it would be a big employer, but it isn't. Wealthy people lease the land to a handful of farmers.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Government does share some blame, not the feds, but the state. Kentucky will allow folks to get more or less permanent benefits if they can't find a job in their home county. Kentucky counties are generally only a bit larger than a Super-Walmart so drawing benefits is easier than in other states.

As far as coal jobs go, the longwall miner killed more coal jobs than all the environmental regulations, recessions, depressions, and alt energy schemes combined. The coal miners were automated out of their jobs. Poorly considered state policies encourage folks to stay in communities where the jobs are never coming back.

I think that Kentucky & her sister states really want to maintain a way of life, part of their heritage. I don't see that as a bad thing, but rather as an impossible thing w/o income transfer to the people who live in those counties. If we're not willing to do that, they won't be able to live there other than in poverty. Yeh, sure, they "can" move, but it's not like there's a surplus of jobs anywhere they might go.

It's not like private industry can be depended upon to create jobs in those places. If history is any guide, they can be depended upon to keep removing what jobs there are. In that, we can either accept the idea that poverty will continue to depopulate the region, or not. If not, then the govt will necessarily need to provide jobs & assistance in some blend to prevent that. Nobody else will be doing it, bet on that.

I want small town America to be a viable alternative for people who want it. I'm always surprised to find conservatives advocating policy that hastens its demise.

x26

Sep 17, 2007
Thank goodness for all the Hardworking Black folks in this Country: If it were not for them we would be truly Doomed.

Derisive sentiments such as yours towards an entire race are not welcome here.

Perknose
Forum Director

Last edited by a moderator:

emperus

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2012
This is getting interesting. Please show me where the GOP's platform has turned poverty into a "racial thing".

Here you go Doc Savage, the Republicans message without all the flowery language.. you know,dog whistle. Giuliani gave you a glimpse of it this week as well.

Thank goodness for all the Hardworking Black folks in this Country: If it were not for them we would be truly Doomed.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I think it's sad that some people need to be reminded that hunger isn't just about black people & brown people but rather white people, too. More than that, it's mostly about kids of every color, the elderly & disabled along with people who don't have all their marbles.

There's really no excuse for it in this nation where we might throw away more food than we give away. We produce food in abundance, far in excess of what we consume, but we insist on maintaining scarcity as some sort of moralistic exercise about work, another thing we seem to need to ration.

Owsley County? No jobs for you! No food stamps, either! Stay poor. Vote Republican. STFU & buy more guns.

Nov 30, 2006
Here you go Doc Savage, the Republicans message without all the flowery language.. you know,dog whistle. Giuliani gave you a glimpse of it this week as well.
GOP platform not found. Your world seems to be filled with dog whistles...you might want to look into that.

zephyrprime

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
I would like to point something out. People like this are scamming the government so they know that the government gets scammed firsthand and that's why they vote republican. They want the government to stop getting scammed by welfare leeches like themselves.

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
And a few more need to go as well imo. Is it just me or is this place getting worse?

as far as the ignorant shit people post?

The problem is people have a bit more freedom here now. So they take that as an invite to post every stupid thought that goes through their head.

Newell Steamer

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2014
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/...ics_n_6771938.html?ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000013

It's white people who need help; with kids, an elderly/disabled person or lost their job.
SNAPCharts1_1.png

SNAPCharts2.png

SNAPCharts3_1.png

emperus

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2012
GOP platform not found. Your world seems to be filled with dog whistles...you might want to look into that.

That post was moderated by an admin for racist language. It seems like you are the only not capable of seeing it or just acknowledging it. That is something you should look into.

Nov 30, 2006
That post was moderated by an admin for racist language. It seems like you are the only not capable of seeing it or just acknowledging it. That is something you should look into.
That had NOTHING to do with the GOP platform....NOTHING!

Nov 30, 2006
All of us republicans are racist morons. Don't let your white guilt get in the way of seeing that!
This thread makes it quite clear that emperus has "issues" with White people and Republicans. Looks like he hit the Daily Double with this "eye-opening" article!

emperus

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2012
That had NOTHING to do with the GOP platform....NOTHING!

1.) I pointed out the post was racist. You somehow seemed to think I was seeing racism everywhere. Yet the post was moderated for being racist. But, obviously, you'll never acknowledge you were wrong.

2.) I'm not going to educated you about your own Party. You do some research about the GOP and it's intersection with race politics.

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
1.) I pointed out the post was racist. You somehow seemed to think I was seeing racism everywhere. Yet the post was moderated for being racist. But, obviously, you'll never acknowledge you were wrong.

2.) I'm not going to educated you about your own Party. You do some research about the GOP and it's intersection with race politics.

Yea! After all it was the GOP governors who refused to outlaw slavery. Oh..and it was the GOP that voted down civil rights! And the GOP is the party that uses race as a campaign platform.

They should be outlawed IMHO.

emperus

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2012
This thread makes it quite clear that emperus has "issues" with White people and Republicans. Looks like he hit the Daily Double with this "eye-opening" article!

I have issues with Racist people. I have issues with racism in the Republican Party. I also have issues with white people who grew up in the 60's who try to claim with a straight face that the "racism" they think they faced in the 60's was worse than or allows them to understand the racism African Americans actually faced.

Do you know anyone like that by chance?

Last edited:

emperus

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2012
]Yea! After all it was the GOP governors who refused to outlaw slavery. Oh..and it was the GOP that voted down civil rights![/COLOR]

Does that argument actually work outside your circle of idiot Republican friends? The fact that you even attempt to make it is a study in intellectually dishonesty or just plain stupidity.

Last edited:

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
That does that argument actually work outside your circle of idiot Republican friends? The fact that you even attempt to make it is a study in intellectually dishonesty or just plain stupidity.

What's the matter? Don't like your party's intersection with racial politics?

Nov 30, 2006
That post was obviously racist but it in no way illustrated that the GOP platform was racist. This simple concept seems really, really hard for you to understand.

Thank you...the last thing I need is to be "educated" by you.