Is this true about Ahhhhhhhnuld ?

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003
Well I heard this on the news and I need to now if this is true that he and his team want to raise property taxes on home owners !?

Bleep

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Who in the heck is. Ahhhhhhhnuld ?

If you are talking about California someone somehow is going to have to pony up the money to get the state out of the huge debt that it has aquired when Enron and the deregulaters stole all the money.

Bleep

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
It's all messed up. Warren Buffet said that and he's his economic advisor but Arnold says he doesn't agree. Prop 13 is a complex issue having good and bad parts. If you bought a house long ago you got a beal, but if you buy now it's rough. Is such inequity fair and should people have to pay more. It's complicated.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: Drift3r
Well I heard this on the news and I need to now if this is true that he and his team want to raise property taxes on home owners !?

His new economic advisor warren buffet has advised a policy that would increase property taxes. Arnold appears to be ready to ignore that advice.

Ferocious

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2000
Asked on ''Good Morning America'' whether he would favor raising taxes as part of a solution to California's budget crisis, Schwarzenegger said he favored neither raising taxes nor cutting programs, but instead would ''bring businesses back to California.''

George Will

That seems sensible.

I sorta have always had a problem with state's rights in this regard. You get states competing against each other to drive wages to lowest point possible.....where as corporations remain a national entity. Sorta of a micro version of the global trade issues.

da loser

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Ferocious
Asked on ''Good Morning America'' whether he would favor raising taxes as part of a solution to California's budget crisis, Schwarzenegger said he favored neither raising taxes nor cutting programs, but instead would ''bring businesses back to California.''

George Will

That seems sensible.

I sorta have always had a problem with state's rights in this regard. You get states competing against each other to drive wages to lowest point possible.....where as corporations remain a national entity. Sorta of a micro version of the global trade issues.

i too hate this state competition crap, but hey that's what capitalism is about. finding the perfect equilibrium between benefits citizens want and profit for corporations. at least companies employ people, sports stadiums just take money away and you still have to pay to go to the game, wtf.

arnold has a nice argument, but not going to happen. nobody looks like they want to cut their benefits. and so far the dumb republicans are getting greedy and going for simon/mcclintock, and they're going to lose, haha. gotta admire someone with convictions, and they get to pay with their pocketbooks.

buffett is right, in the sense that all these rich people pay nothing in property taxes. he pays more for his 500k house in nebraska than his 5m in california. but you can't just kick out grandma, maybe she should've been more caring to her kids. somehow you have to tax people that can afford it like buffett. he should donate a couple billion or maybe arianna can donate some of her alimony, that's one of the tax loopholes she should close ;) note to self:sign prenup, unless she's richer, then go for the gold!

i don't see too many rich people leaving because taxes are too high, so I say tax them to death, bwhahaha. maybe tax people that have multiple homes at their correct rate. if the point of prop13 is to keep from kicking out people, there's no danger kicking people out with too many homes.

i see middle class people leaving and buying 500k houses elsewhere (for pete's sake you don't have to spend the same amount), the only thing holding everything up are the universities which pump out educated people. better keep funding those colleges, otherwise california is going to be the home of tycoons and bums->the communist party of california :D viva la california!

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
Prop 13 limits the growth of prop.taxes for ALL home owners past and present. So ALL Calif. homeowners benefit from prop.13. Whats needed is an additional prop.to again lower prop.taxes and deny the Calif.legislators the huge tax cash flow and stop funding social programs and duplicate agencies.

Chris A

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: IGBT
Prop 13 limits the growth of prop.taxes for ALL home owners past and present. So ALL Calif. homeowners benefit from prop.13. Whats needed is an additional prop.to again lower prop.taxes and deny the Calif.legislators the huge tax cash flow and stop funding social programs and duplicate agencies.

This man speaks the truth... Way to many non tax payers sucking off my tax dollars.

Macro2

Diamond Member
May 20, 2000
Looks like either Arnold or Bustamante.
If Bustamante wins, Mexico completes the retaking of California.
I like Mexican food...so it won't be a total loss. <G>

Macro2

Diamond Member
May 20, 2000
RE:"What does property tax pay for?"
Mainly schools, police, fire and local government. OTOH, the State of California has found a way of taking a cut.

Prop 13 is really a scam and has skewed the taxation system in Cal. to the extreme.

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003
Originally posted by: Chris A
Originally posted by: IGBT

This man speaks the truth... Way to many non tax payers sucking off my tax dollars.

Yeah but how is voting for Ahhhhhnuld going to solve this ? The guy has admitted that he wants and likes social programs. Now we got his top economic advisor saying that he thinks prop taxes are too low !

http://www.siouxcityjournal.com/articles/2003/08/16/news/national_world/2f6c8d2d3983162f86256d840019c440.txt

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: Macro2
RE:"What does property tax pay for?"
Mainly schools, police, fire and local government. OTOH, the State of California has found a way of taking a cut.

Prop 13 is really a scam and has skewed the taxation system in Cal. to the extreme.

What do you mean? You don't think it's fair for one person to pay 1000 and his nieghbor pay 10,000 for the same house? Me niether but the bright side is it's capped after you buy it and capped at 1%. I donno I have mixed feelings...it's nice to know once you buy a house the rate will never change and you can budget accordingly.

I think they should have limits on it. Like one single family home per person.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
What happens to poor people who scraped together enough to buy a house and then get priced out by increasing property tax. What about old people of frixed incomes. Nobody should have to pay a cent for the basic right to be alive. Everybody should have a place to live and not have to pay for it. We lived that way for 4 billion years. Our system is a joke.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
What happens to poor people who scraped together enough to buy a house and then get priced out by increasing property tax. What about old people of frixed incomes. Nobody should have to pay a cent for the basic right to be alive. Everybody should have a place to live and not have to pay for it. We lived that way for 4 billion years. Our system is a joke.

Well yes:) If you look at it that way:D

however those 4 billon years we still had to defend the property from nomads, wandering hoards etc so you still had to pay, sometimes with your life. No?

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Imagine a world in which people had wings. Imagine how many houses we could have built since the time of Egypt and their quality if we lived without war. We could have billions of houses all over the earth empty, waiting for the wondering guest. Imagine a world in which you walked all over the earth staying a time here and a time there seeing all the sites. Only a fool fenses heaven.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
So in other words imagine a world without people:)... I think you were on to something with your machines...they won't need us..

I think we would need a benevolent demigod or god himself to institute this type of thinking and focus universally because we have to many Limbaugh fans who would never go for it. How do you get though to the "those who die with the most toys wins" crowd.

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Prop. 13 has to go. It's unfair. Why should people who just bought a house pay a lot more taxes than someone who has an identical house, even if they make same money.
Can't afford taxes? Too bad. Sell and move to an area you can afford. Don't expect someone who just moved in to pay your share.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
Without prop.13 property tax growth will be unlimited for ALL Calif.prop.owners. Working class people can't afford unlimited tax growth. If you think your schools are underfunded..write a personal check and forward your dependent deductions to the school district. And show up at the school meetings and find out how your education dollars are spent/wasted.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
And if your a renter prop.13 has kept your rent growth low. Even under rent control landlords are allowed to pass on part or all or tax increases. So renters benefit from prop.13 as well.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: Zebo
So in other words imagine a world without people:)... I think you were on to something with your machines...they won't need us..

I think we would need a benevolent demigod or god himself to institute this type of thinking and focus universally because we have to many Limbaugh fans who would never go for it. How do you get though to the "those who die with the most toys wins" crowd.
Hehe, a world without people. Life is sacred. I don't worry about the machines. The most toys wins phenomenon comes from a childhood minus love. The machines can stuff them full like christmans gooses. :D The smart ones eventually notice their lives are empty. And down that road lies extinction so a wakeup calls on its way.

tm37

Lifer
Jan 24, 2001
Prop 13 is IMO a good law.

If you buy a house your property taxes are locked at that valuation. In most states if the government needs more money they just reassess the value of your house. Rice county has determauned that my house in the past two years has increased in value by over 20K while the appraiser says it has only increased in value by about 10K. Why? because rice county is experencing a budget crunch. Lets take my parents house for example. They purchased their house about 7-8 years ago for 180K in California. Their prop tax is roughly 1% of that number (1800) now the house next to them (which is exacltly the same) recently sold for 408 so without prop 13 the tax could climb to 4080. that is quite a jump. 190 bucks a month. Prop 13 was designed to do two things. Encourage home buying and place a cap on government power to tax and take your home. It also encourages people to buy a house and Build equity which is a good thing. when this prop went through California was milking the homeowners dry and people were loosing their homes because the taxes were sometimes exceeding the payment. Think of the dot com boom when houses were rising in value by 5-10 times. What if you owened a home in an area that saw this price adjustment. Lets say that you are an auto mech. Your income hasn't gone up nearlly that much but now your property taxes have gone from 1K to 10K in just a few years. Think about that TEN GRAND a year. IN TAXES. would that be fair? Why should I have to sell my house or lose it to taxes because some one else came into to money. You should also be taxed on your neighbors income two? The reassesing of land value hurt california alot. Prop 13 put a stop to that. It encourages home owners to stay in the same house which it most cases they BUILD EQUITY.

Imagine if you land lord raised your rent say 100 bucks a year. you would be a little upset BUT I can understand why a company might do that, they ned to make a profit. Now lets say your property tax went up 1200 dollars a year (100/month) lets also say they they came to you at the end of the year and said hey you owe us 1200 more than we thought at the start of the year. when my house was reassessed in MN I got a bill. first from the county and then from the escrow company. I paid out about 100 bucks more than I thought I was going to. I got the bill and it was 100 bucks higher so there wasn't enough in the escrow account to cover it. I had to come up with the 100 bucks which wasn't a problem. Yet what if it went up say 2 grand or 5 grand. he pay this in 30 days or you lose your house.

Macro2

Diamond Member
May 20, 2000
RE:"What do you mean? You don't think it's fair for one person to pay 1000 and his nieghbor pay 10,000 for the same house? Me niether but the bright side is it's capped after you buy it and capped at 1%. I donno I have mixed feelings...it's nice to know once you buy a house the rate will never change and you can budget accordingly."

It's helped cause a housing price bubble that won't have a happy ending. EOM