Is this obstruction of justice?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
We are all one big disfunctional family!! Can`t you just feel the love...…..

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
I might be outraged, if only I hadn't fallen asleep while trying to read the OP (a problem I sometimes have with Canadian stories that don't involve burning down the Whitehouse).

But as a lefty I put Trudeau in the same class as Macron and Clegg. That is, I'm not a fan. Indeed, I think they are almost clones of each other (most likely someone extracted Blair's DNA from a mosquito that bit him).

Jul 9, 2009
I might be outraged, if only I hadn't fallen asleep while trying to read the OP (a problem I sometimes have with Canadian stories that don't involve burning down the Whitehouse).

But as a lefty I put Trudeau in the same class as Macron and Clegg. That is, I'm not a fan. Indeed, I think they are almost clones of each other (most likely someone extracted Blair's DNA from a mosquito that bit him).
Right now PM Trudeau isn't even as popular in Canada as President Trump is here in the US of A.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/...dians-sour-on-trudeau-less-popular-than-trump

"With both facing reelection, the latest Zogby Analytics survey found Trump at his highest approval rating, 51%, while Trudeau near his lowest, underwater at 43%.

In past reelections campaigns, presidents with 51% approval ratings have won."

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Right now PM Trudeau isn't even as popular in Canada as President Trump is here in the US of A.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/...dians-sour-on-trudeau-less-popular-than-trump

"With both facing reelection, the latest Zogby Analytics survey found Trump at his highest approval rating, 51%, while Trudeau near his lowest, underwater at 43%.

Your funny -- but the truth is Trudeau is more popular in America than Trump....hahahaaaa

Nov 25, 2013

You have a poll. I have a poll. *Everyone* has a poll.

1566161109436.jpeg

https://thehill.com/hilltv/what-ame...-say-they-would-not-consider-reelecting-trump

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Leftist Prime Minister got in trouble trying to save a major multinational corporation's bacon.... Op be dumb.

HurleyBird

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2003
Liberals sure, not so much NDP. That was my point. You want leftist, look at NDP, Liberals are middle of the road.

Notice the small 'l' I used... but here's the thing, we can disagree on where to draw the centre line, which we do, and even though I think that, for instance, anyone (not necessarily you) who wants to call the Democrats centre-right, or the Republicans centre-left is just indulging in confirmation bias, at the root we'd be dealing with a difference of definitions and first principles and so any discussion on a surface level isn't going to be fruitful until some common point of reference is found.

But that's not really the point here. If an individual says "This person associated with group A did bad thing X," and another individual (you in this case) counters "Well, the fact that he did bad thing X means that he's no true member of A!" Then that's textbook No True Scotsman, full stop. I'm sure you can make your point absent the fallacy.

Last edited:

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Notice the small 'l' I used... but here's the thing, we can disagree on where to draw the centre line, which we do, and even though I think that, for instance, anyone (not necessarily you) who wants to call the Democrats centre-right, or the Republicans centre-left is just indulging in confirmation bias, at the root we'd be dealing with a difference of definitions and first principles and so any discussion on a surface level isn't going to be fruitful until some common point of reference is found.

But that's not really the point here. If an individual says "This person associated with group A did bad thing X," and another individual (you in this case) counters "Well, the fact that he did bad thing X means that he's no true member of A!" Then that's textbook No True Scotsman, full stop. I'm sure you can make your point absent the fallacy.

that was why I asked you to provide examples of his actions that would lead you to think he is leftist...

HurleyBird

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2003
that was why I asked you to provide examples of his actions that would lead you to think he is leftist...

That isn't germane to you using fallacious reasoning, so I should't bite, but whatever.

From my perspective this question is sort of in the "prove water is wet" variety. After all, we're dealing with a guy who has virtue signalled his feminism extremely hard, instituted gender quotas for his cabinet, famously opposes gendered language (which is now, because of the Liberal party, being removed from the anthem), said that Canada would welcome those affected by Trump's immigration policies, and so on. The perception is certainly out there of him being a woke individual. He appeared in a Marvel comic against white supremacists. Even Trevor Noah thinks that JT has become too woke!

It might be that your opposition isn't in the way JT has presents itself, but is rather in his actions. This is a pretty common talking point, and there are a number of articles saying something like "JT is a fake feminist" -- albeit typically from the right. Sometimes you also get the likes of The Washington Post arguing that Trudeau wraps himself in a cloak of woke left-wing talking points while not really following through with actions.

Now, if you don't even agree that JT presents himself as a woke-left-winger, then that's a bit bizarre to be honest. It's not a thing that is in any serious contention. It's certainly not being debated in any right or left-wing mainstream media outlet. And again, if that's the case then our reference points are simply too divergent to have any kind of productive dialog.

But on the other hand -- and I think this is probably closer to the truth -- if you see JT as a fake leftist, then well, that's kind of the essence of No True Scotsman.

To put things in perspective, George W. Bush campaigned on shrinking the government and reducing debt, but in actuality increased the growth rate of both rather judiciously. Does that mean George W. Bush isn't right wing? After all, it's the left that grows the government and expands deficits, right? Of course this is all baloney, and I doubt this forum would let anyone get away with such an argument applied to W. or any other right-wing politician.

Last edited:

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
That isn't germane to you using fallacious reasoning, so I should't bite, but whatever.

From my perspective this question is sort of in the "prove water is wet" variety. After all, we're dealing with a guy who has virtue signalled his feminism extremely hard, instituted gender quotas for his cabinet, famously opposes gendered language (which is now, because of the Liberal party, being removed from the anthem), said that Canada would welcome those affected by Trump's immigration policies, and so on. The perception is certainly out there of him being a woke individual. He appeared in a Marvel comic against white supremacists. Even Trevor Noah thinks that JT has become too woke!

It might be that your opposition isn't in the way JT has presents itself, but is rather in his actions. This is a pretty common talking point, and there are a number of articles saying something like "JT is a fake feminist" -- albeit typically from the right. Sometimes you also get the likes of The Washington Post arguing that Trudeau merely wraps himself in cloak of woke left-wing talking points while not following through in terms of actions.

Now, if you don't even agree that JT presents himself as a woke-left-winger, then that's a bit bizarre to be honest. It's not a thing that is in any serious contention. It's certainly not being debated in any right or left-wing mainstream media outlet. And again, if that's the case then our reference points are simply too divergent to have any kind of productive dialog.

But on the other hand -- and I think this is probably closer to the truth -- if you see JT as a faker, then well, that's kind of the essence of No True Scotsman.

To put things in perspective, George W. Bush campaigned on shrinking the government and reducing debt, but in actuality increased the growth rate of both rather judiciously. Does that mean George W. Bush isn't right wing? Of course not, and I doubt this forum would let anyone get away with such an argument applied to him or any other right-wing politician.

Again, my point is he does some left leaning stuff, some right leaning stuff, which more or less lands him in the middle. He's left of center for sure. Likes to paint himself as the enlightened man, operates just like good old Liberals.

This ain't America, where everyone who is not a Republican is deemed to be a Leftist. And the American "fiscal conservative" is just a mirage. Labels are cheap.

Trudeau will be lucky to survive this election with a minority government.