Is this obstruction of justice?

Jul 9, 2009
Sorry to our resident lefties, it's all about Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.

"In the broad strokes, the report of the federal ethics commissioner, Mario Dion, into the SNC-Lavalin affair tells us nothing new.
It was already clear to anyone with eyes to see — it was not even really denied — that the prime minister and his officials repeatedly and strenuously pressured the former attorney general, Jody Wilson-Raybould, to interfere in the criminal prosecution of the Quebec-based engineering giant: specifically, by overturning the decision of the director of public prosecutions not to offer the company a “remediation agreement” in place of a trial.
It was equally clear — and again, not really denied — that, along with the supposed impact of such a decision on the company’s fortunes and those of its employees, the prime minister and his officials repeatedly invoked partisan political considerations, both with regard to the 2018 Quebec provincial election and the 2019 federal election.
And it was crystal clear that this pressure campaign continued long after the former attorney general told the prime minister (and his officials) it was improper, and should stop."

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/an...east-of-concerns-raised-by-snc-lavalin-affair

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I don't know--do you grenade innocent babies?

The answer is likely the same.

Nov 25, 2013
1) Does #fuckofftroll have a point to make with that post?

2) Does he really think Trudeau is a "lefty"? ROFLMFAO

Jul 9, 2009
Woa, welcome back Taj.
Thanks Thebobo. It was just that this is an oft reported story about the malfeasance of the Prime Minister of Canada that just isn't reported in here, even though we have a hand full of Canadian posters. It all depends on whose ox is getting gored.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
Not quite sure...

But...this IS obstruction of justice.

Nadler subpoenas Lewandowski
Trump endorses Lewandowski for Senate

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Yeah, not sure what he was thinking. I think he maybe wanted to avoid harsh financial/legal implications for SNC to look out for jobs (?), but wasn't a very smart move. There WILL be consequences for him, although indirect (since apparently there are no direct penalties for this).

Nov 25, 2013
Thanks Thebobo. It was just that this is an oft reported story about the malfeasance of the Prime Minister of Canada that just isn't reported in here, even though we have a hand full of Canadian posters. It all depends on whose ox is getting gored.

I'm still laughing at you thinking that Trudeau is some kind of "lefty".

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
That is an opinion piece not a factual article so, unless the prime minister is already in jail, I'd say it all isn't as "crystal clear" as the writer suggests.

HurleyBird

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2003
You think that Trudeau is a "lefty"? Again, ROFL

I can't imagine any possible argument to the contrary, except that you are either trying to shift the overton window in a much too obvious way, or your internal overton window is very much askew (eg. Democrats are centre or centre right instead of left), or you just have no idea about Canadian politics. The Liberal Party here in Canada is about as left of centre as the Democrats in the US, and JT is moderately to the left of the party overall. This is a guy who, instead of looking for the best person for the best job, set gender quotas on his cabinet. Now, he certainly isn't as far left as the likes of Bernie Sanders, but he is somewhat more left leaning than Obama.

Nov 25, 2013
I can't imagine any possible argument to the contrary, except that you are either trying to shift the overton window in a much too obvious way, or your internal overton window is very much askew (eg. Democrats are centre or centre right instead of left), or you just have no idea about Canadian politics. The Liberal Party here in Canada is about as left of centre as the Democrats in the US, and JT is moderately to the left of the party overall. This is a guy who, instead of looking for the best person for the best job, set gender quotas on his cabinet. Now, he certainly isn't as far left as the likes of Bernie Sanders, but he is somewhat more left leaning than Obama.

He is a rather mild 'social liberal' ('talks the talk' and ocassional even 'walks the walk') and the Liberal Party of Canada has never really had an ideology other than "We deserve to the the natural ruling party of Canada".

And pretty much anyone with the slightest leanings towards being some kind of 'liberal' would probably be more left leaning than Obama who I see as a, mainly, solidly center with a bit of a conservative streak politician. He damn sure was no liberal.

EDIT: As for the Democratic Party, It*is* mainly a center right party these days. It has a small somewhat left leaning wing that, other than a couple of brief periods, really has never held much sway in the party.

Feb 4, 2009
Oh Justin! Oh nnnoooooo

Canada, I give close to zero fucks

No disrespect to our Pleasant Canadian Neighbors. I couldn’t read more than 3 seconds of what was posted.

So weird how dudes like Taj make such weird assumptions about liberal folks.

HurleyBird

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2003
Oh Justin! Oh nnnoooooo

Canada, I give close to zero fucks

No disrespect to our Pleasant Canadian Neighbors. I couldn’t read more than 3 seconds of what was posted.

If it makes any difference, I too don't pay much attention to Canadian politics because they don't feel as eventful as what goes on south of the border. The times that I do pay a lot of attention tend to be more about hilarious stupidity (e.g. the entire Rob Ford saga, Trudeau in India) than the underlying politics.

Feb 16, 2005
blow up any children today tajjy?

Feb 16, 2005
I'm confused over just what he thinks he's accomplishing here. Can't think of any overt Trudeau admirers/supporters who post in this forum. Not to mention that he doesn't understand Canada in the least. <shrug>
it's had a long history of posting stupid shit, openly stating he'd murder children for crossing the border illegally, trying to pretend he never said that, and then posting this. Kudos to you for taking the time to read his blather.

Nov 25, 2013
it's had a long history of posting stupid shit, openly stating he'd murder children for crossing the border illegally, trying to pretend he never said that, and then posting this. Kudos to you for taking the time to read his blather.

I read almost everything that anyone posts in this forum.

Yes, I'm a sucker for punishment. :)

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Trump has done far worse. That doesn't excuse Justin's actions, but if you are so concerned about ethics in Politics, why do you defend Trump so much?

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Taj is just doing the "They're just as bad!" bothsides routine as cover for his hero.