Is this car a wise purchase?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

KokomoGST

Diamond Member
Nov 13, 2001
Because of the bad track record and horror stories you hear from people about VWs, it's the FURTHEST thing I'd consider for a reliable car. I do understand the attraction to them since they are nicely trimmed and drive well. But 9k, ouch.

However, the Maxima is one of the most reliable cars out there. Not much is as reliable as a Maxima... man, I hate saying that since it sounds like I'm catering to the Maxima fanboys but it's true. And Golf is a lot smaller of a car... if I was to buy a VW, I'd rather get something fun... like a 90s VW Corrado VR6.

In fact, that Corrado will not only be better trimmed and have more power and room than the Golf, it'll prolly be similarly reliable and be a billion times more fun to drive. In fact, there's a good example on Ebay right now up for bidding from central NJ that's got less mileage than the Maxima. I'd buy a Corrado instead in a heartbeat over the Golf or Maxima.

CFster

Golden Member
Oct 16, 1999
Originally posted by: IgoByte
Well, they both seem to be pretty reliable vehicles. My father owns a 99 Maxima SE Limited and just crossed the 40K mark, and the car runs beautifully. Never had a single problem. He's owned a lot of different Golfs in the past and they were all very good. Also, the Golf does have the 80K mile powertrain coverage.

80K powertrain coverage only applies to the original owner.

IgoByte

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2001
Originally posted by: CFster
Well, they both seem to be pretty reliable vehicles. My father owns a 99 Maxima SE Limited and just crossed the 40K mark, and the car runs beautifully. Never had a single problem. He's owned a lot of different Golfs in the past and they were all very good. Also, the Golf does have the 80K mile powertrain coverage.

80K powertrain coverage only applies to the original owner.

It's transferrable... :)

MrBond

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
You pay tax regardless of where you buy the vehicle. Between my dad and I, we've bought vehicles both in and out of state and had them titled in state. You pay tax on whatever price the person you buy it from writes on the title.

I have no opinion on the car though. 113K is nothhing, I've got 50k on that. If it was a kid driving the maxima, it might have been abused though

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
I am not a big fan of Nissan, BUT I would take one over a VW ANYDAY!!!!

But I THINK the 96 Max. still had a timing belt at the time, so it will probable need a water pump and timing belt when you buy it, that is one reason why it is cheap. But still a much better buy then ANY VW. Have a Mchanic check out the Max and tell him to find EVERYTHING wrong with it. Don't worry about the small things, but keep a eye on the big.

IgoByte

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2001
Originally posted by: MrBond
You pay tax regardless of where you buy the vehicle. Between my dad and I, we've bought vehicles both in and out of state and had them titled in state. You pay tax on whatever price the person you buy it from writes on the title.

I have no opinion on the car though. 113K is nothhing, I've got 50k on that. If it was a kid driving the maxima, it might have been abused though

What if the person gives me the car, like my father gives me his Maxima as a gift?

The Maxima was driven mostly by the mother, but since it was a family car, the two kids also drove it.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000

What if the person gives me the car, like my father gives me his Maxima as a gift?

The Maxima was driven mostly by the mother, but since it was a family car, the two kids also drove it.

Does not matter, you pay tax on the vaule of the car. If the price you pay is less then book then you pay the low end price of the book, at least in NC you do.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Marlin1975
I am not a big fan of Nissan, BUT I would take one over a VW ANYDAY!!!!

But I THINK the 96 Max. still had a timing belt at the time, so it will probable need a water pump and timing belt when you buy it, that is one reason why it is cheap. But still a much better buy then ANY VW. Have a Mchanic check out the Max and tell him to find EVERYTHING wrong with it. Don't worry about the small things, but keep a eye on the big.
Almost positive that that max has a timing chain. It's the VQ30 engine they've been using for a while. The 2000 max has the same engine (albeit more powerful) and has a timing chain. My 93 sentra has a timing chain too. The 300zxs had the timing belt, but pretty sure the 95+ maximas (maybe even the 3rd gens from prior to 95) have the chain.
The guy's parents own it and they got a quote of $3000 for a trade-in to the dealer. That's about it.
Sounds about what a dealer would give for trade in. In that case run a carfax, get a mechanic to check it out, and buy it. The engine in it should be good forever. Of course those two kids almost certainly abused the car. I was hell on my cars as a kid (I mean parents' cars!), but my younger brother was good, so I guess it's luck of the draw. I'd take the max and forget about a loan. Of course with any old car the transmission could fall out tomorrow...you just never know.

IgoByte

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2001
Why is there so much anti-VW sentiment here? I thought VW made reliable cars...

I just got off the phone with my uncle who lives in Germany and has owned many a Golf. He says that he's had virtually no problems at all with them and that they have been and still are very reliable. He even test drove the new Golf 5 Diesel the other day and says it's great. He currently has a 3-series BMW, but his last car was a Golf 3 VR6 and he seems to have really liked it. My father had a Jetta (late 80's model) before we came to the US and that car had no problems whatsoever...

I'm puzzled...

IgoByte

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Marlin1975

That's so retarded. How many times does a single car get taxed? Shouldn't the tax at the initial purchase be enough? They rip you off at every corner...

Does not matter, you pay tax on the vaule of the car. If the price you pay is less then book then you pay the low end price of the book, at least in NC you do.

BigSmooth

Lifer
Aug 18, 2000
Why is there so much anti-VW sentiment here? I thought VW made reliable cars...

I just got off the phone with my uncle who lives in Germany and has owned many a Golf. He says that he's had virtually no problems at all with them and that they have been and still are very reliable. He even test drove the new Golf 5 Diesel the other day and says it's great. He currently has a 3-series BMW, but his last car was a Golf 3 VR6 and he seems to have really liked it. My father had a Jetta (late 80's model) before we came to the US and that car had no problems whatsoever...

I'm puzzled...
You must not read many car threads around here.
Here are some links that might interest you:
http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2003-11-03-reliablechart.htm
http://www.jdpower.com/presspass/pr/images/2003050bfull.gif
http://autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?port_code=autoweek&cat_code=carnews&loc_code=index&content_code=04365644
http://just-auto.com/news_detail.asp?art=42905&dm=yes (or try http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1134108 )

That's not to say every VW car will have problems (far from it) but your chances are better with another brand. Furthermore, it's widely recognized that VW dealerships have some of the worst customer service in the industry. :(

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
What's wrong with it is that it's a volkswagen, otherwise nothing. They are nice solid built - I mean solid FEELING cars, and they are luxurious for their price, but I've just heard about WAY too many problems with them. If you want other ideas on them ask N8Magic. Also sharkytm I believe used to defend his VW until a few days ago yet another problem occured and now finally he's really getting fed up with it. The powertrain is decent, but so many other problems like electrical or little bits breaking, etc.

Not sure Germans would get the same quality of car as Americans... I have a friend who tells me how VWs will last forever, and that may have been the case in the past. Heck, it may be now (since that is normally talking about powertrain), but it's likely to see a lot of shop time for annoying other defects.

BigSmooth

Lifer
Aug 18, 2000

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: BigSmooth
Originally posted by: Skoorb
What's wrong with it is that it's a volkswagen, otherwise nothing. They are nice solid built - I mean solid FEELING cars, and they are luxurious for their price, but I've just heard about WAY too many problems with them. If you want other ideas on them ask N8Magic.
Nope, even (former) resident ATOT VW zealot N8Magic gave up on them a while ago: http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.cfm?catid=38&threadid=1181679&FTVAR_MSGDBTABLE=
In classic skoorbian kind I mispoke. I meant to say not "other ideas" as in opinions, but further opinions in the same vein. N8magic said he's gonna get rid of his car as soon as he's no longer upside down on it :p

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Don't get me wrong, it's just that you're comparing apples & oranges, the Maxima is an awesome sedan/sports car, lots of power, feels great on the road, and Nissan has virtually spared no expense to make it an awesome automobile.

Our 02' golf is great, has great handling, and gets 40mpg (it's a diesel), but it's no Maxima.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Pliablemoose
Don't get me wrong, it's just that you're comparing apples & oranges, the Maxima is an awesome sedan/sports car, lots of power, feels great on the road, and Nissan has virtually spared no expense to make it an awesome automobile.

Our 02' golf is great, has great handling, and gets 40mpg (it's a diesel), but it's no Maxima.
Yeah they're definitely apples and oranges...course put them on the highway next to each other and it's like comparing watermelons to raisins :D

isekii

Lifer
Mar 16, 2001
You have to pay tax whether it's from boston or NY.

The tax is paid at the time of registration

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Like others have said... it is an apples to oranges comparison. What do you really want out of a car?

BigSmooth

Lifer
Aug 18, 2000
Originally posted by: BigSmooth
What's wrong with it is that it's a volkswagen, otherwise nothing. They are nice solid built - I mean solid FEELING cars, and they are luxurious for their price, but I've just heard about WAY too many problems with them. If you want other ideas on them ask N8Magic.
Nope, even (former) resident ATOT VW zealot N8Magic gave up on them a while ago: http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.cfm?catid=38&threadid=1181679&FTVAR_MSGDBTABLE=
In classic skoorbian kind I mispoke. I meant to say not "other ideas" as in opinions, but further opinions in the same vein. N8magic said he's gonna get rid of his car as soon as he's no longer upside down on it :p
Of course! I forgot to invoke the Skoorbian Axiom of Inarticulateness! ;)

IgoByte

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Millennium
Like others have said... it is an apples to oranges comparison. What do you really want out of a car?

Of course, they are very different cars. I want a car that I like (esthetically) and that'll be reliable for a while. I'd like to be able to drive the car for at least two years without any major repairs. Of course, I weigh the $3000 Maxima and the $7500 Golf differently in that sense.