Is this car a wise purchase?

IgoByte

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2001
FOr the last month or so, I've been set on buying a 96 Maxima GXE with 113K miles (from Boston) for $3000, but just the other day I came across a 99 VW Golf GLS (this is the new Golf) with 40K miles for $7500 right here in Brooklyn. Both are private parties and both have clear titles, good maintenance records, etc. Out of fear that the high-mileage Maxima (which I haven't test driven) might give me problems and that the guy may not sell it to me, as promised, I'm now leaning toward the Golf. There are also some additional costs and invoneniences associated with the Maxima purchase, since it's not exactly next door to me. I've come to terms with the fact that I'll have to partially finance the Golf, because of its larger price tag, but am wondering if it'd be a good decision to buy it. By the way, the Golf is in very good condition, overall. It's has a few scratches on the body and one small dent, but that's normal for NYC. The seller also seems like a normal dude. He's offering me a personal "warranty" where he'd cover half of the repair costs of any mechanical problem within the first four months. Also, the car has a powertrain warranty until 80,000 miles. According to KBB, the private value of this Golf is just over $9500. A dealer would probably charge $10.5 - 11K and not offer me a better warranty, and hell, I don't wanna buy from a dealer. So, the car sure seems like a nice deal and it's got everything I need. It's also really neat that the back seats on the Golf fold foward, so you can put a whole lot of crap in the trunk.

So, what you guys think? Is this Golf a good, reliable, low-maintenance car? Is this a good deal? Is it a wise purchase? What would you get, the 96 113K Maxima or the 99 40K Golf?

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
Make it simpler to read. Like this:

Car A
XXX Miles
Type and specifications

Car B
same as A

IgoByte

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2001
OK

Car 1: 1996 Nissan Maxima GXE
6-cylinder engine (192hp, I think)
Mileage: 113,000
Price: $3000.00

Car 2: 1999 VW Golf GLS
4-cylinder engine, 115hp
Mileage: 40,043
Price: $7500.00

I think I'd need to pay tax on the Maxima, whereas I wouldn't on the Golf. I'm not certain about this though. The Golf has new tires, the Maxima would probably need new ones.

zCypher

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2002
Some will say the Maxima is more reliable others will say the Golf is. However I've read more bad news about VW than Nissan. I probably wouldn't get either of those cars but I think the Maxima is a better deal. $7500 for the Golf? Bleh. It is a 99 but still. They are expensive for nothing. You get nothing better than any other car for the price. So why buy it? To have the VW name?

Overall they're likely both to be good cars. 40k isn't new either and if well kept 113k can be very little wear. Depends what kind of miles were driven (highway/city, harsh or easy driver). My Camaro has 240,000+ kilometers, everything still works. I didn't drive all those KM though. ;) I saw a firebird with 200k highway mileage that was in pretty much perfect shape. And 12 years old. I've also seen low mileage Honda and Toyotas that were beat to hell. It all depends.

My advice : Have someone knowledgable and experienced test drive and personally inspect the vehicles in question. Have at least one person with you when checking it out to get second opinions. Then try to screw the person out of as much money as possible. :p

radioouman

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 2002
Originally posted by: IgoByte
OK

4-cylinder engine, 115hp

I think I'd need to pay tax on the Maxima, whereas I wouldn't on the Golf. I'm not certain about this though. The Golf has new tires, the Maxima would probably need new ones.

I'd say go with the Golf if those are the only two choices to choose from. But, I don't think that the Golf would be much more reliable than the Maximum honestly. The Maxima would probably be more fun.

CraigRT

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
I'd go w/the max cause I am partial to them. but the Golf does seem like a good deal.

IgoByte

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2001
Well, they both seem to be pretty reliable vehicles. My father owns a 99 Maxima SE Limited and just crossed the 40K mark, and the car runs beautifully. Never had a single problem. He's owned a lot of different Golfs in the past and they were all very good. Also, the Golf does have the 80K mile powertrain coverage.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
I would not buy a late model golf. And that's not because I like maximas, but VW have atrocious reliability and the complaints are too numerous for even God to keep track of.

Something seems wrong with that maxima at that price to be honest with you. Why's it so cheap?

kt

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2000
OK

4-cylinder engine, 115hp

I would still go with the Maxima for several reasons. The high mileage on it is most likely due to suburb commuting. I rather have a high mileage that is freeway mileage than a low mileage that is city street mileage. Besides, 113K miles on a car that is almost 8 years old is not extremely high.

radioouman

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 2002
Originally posted by: radioouman
Quadruple?!?

Damn dude... How'd you manage that?

No idea... After I hit the reply button, nothing showed up on the page. So I closed it and re-opened it and there were four posts! haha

IgoByte

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Skoorb
I would not buy a late model golf. And that's not because I like maximas, but VW have atrocious reliability and the complaints are too numerous for even God to keep track of.

Something seems wrong with that maxima at that price to be honest with you. Why's it so cheap?

The guy's parents own it and they got a quote of $3000 for a trade-in to the dealer. That's about it.

IgoByte

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2001
Originally posted by: kt
OK

4-cylinder engine, 115hp

I would still go with the Maxima for several reasons. The high mileage on it is most likely due to suburb commuting. I rather have a high mileage that is freeway mileage than a low mileage that is city street mileage. Besides, 113K miles on a car that is almost 8 years old is not extremely high.

I agree with that... That's relatively few miles per year, and the car was used to commute to and from work by the mother, apparently (she's in her fifties).

CraigRT

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Originally posted by: Skoorb

The guy's parents own it and they got a quote of $3000 for a trade-in to the dealer. That's about it.

yah, price sounds close to me.. maybe a tad low.... but maximas don't hold their value as much as other cars in their class.
which is one reason i like them so much :) makes it easier to own a nice 4th gen Max :D i want a 97-99 max myself.

BigSmooth

Lifer
Aug 18, 2000
First, I hope you have run a CarFax report on the VINs of both vehicles.

As to which one to get, I would personally not buy any used Golf at this time. I have to agree with Skoorb in that VW's reliability has become atrocious in recent years. You might convince me to buy a used Passat but not a Golf.

Still, the decision is made more difficult since the Golf is newer and has 1/3 as many miles. However, it's also more than twice as expensive so if the Maxima is mechanically sound it would still be my choice.