is there anything better than a great baked potato

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
You know what's awesome?

You can just pop a potato in a microwave for 12~ minutes which comes out perfect with zero to minimal difference than baked.

Save yourself 40 minutes from baking it forever in the oven. Instant hot snack.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
Sweet potato>>>all other potatoes. :cool:;)

Yukon gold >>>>>>>>> Sweet potato

Sweet potato is far too overrated. It's too sweet and I get sick of it after 1. Regular potato = I can eat forever.

Northern Lawn

Platinum Member
May 15, 2008
What are the good potatoes for baking?

The Russets are the ones that have a bitter tasting skin right?

pelov

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2011
baked potato > garlic mashed potato > potato wedgies

potato wedgies

12_bully-se-wedgie-500.jpg

wedgie_375.jpg

God Mode

Platinum Member
Jul 2, 2005
Potatoes are good only if there is meat. If by themselves, fried with a lot of salt and ketchup is best.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
If sweet potatoes are those orange things I absolutely hate them. They are not a potatoe at all imo.

I like sweet potatoes, but they aren't a substitute for regular potatoes. The only similarity is growing conditions, and shape. It's a completely different flavor profile. Btw, I really dislike sweet potato fries, and chips. It seems like something I'd like, but every time I get them, I'm highly disappointed.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
I somewhat agree with the OP, though I love a twice baked potato. And, I'm probably one of the few who would happily grab a baked potato once it's cooled just enough, and eat it like an apple - no salt, pepper, butter, or anything else.

Also, microwaved "baked potatoes" - that's a trend that needs to stop. I don't care that it's done in 6 minutes instead of half an hour or longer. The texture of the skin is horrible when microwaved vs. baked.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
Also, microwaved "baked potatoes" - that's a trend that needs to stop. I don't care that it's done in 6 minutes instead of half an hour or longer. The texture of the skin is horrible when microwaved vs. baked.

Baked skin is great for sure. But when you don't want to wait 90 minutes (quite literally), it's perfect.

Just don't eat the skin, that's the trade off for eating one on a whim under 5-7 minutes. The inside is exactly same as baked. Don't even try to argue otherwise.

Matthiasa

Diamond Member
May 4, 2009
I've noticed a recent trend in eating. Folks will eat mashed potatoes all day long but, won't touch a baked potato. I think it's pretty bizarre that many would rather eat instant mash than a baked potato.

Yes, because mashed potatoes can't be made with real potatoes...

OBLAMA2009

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2008
red potatoes drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled with rosemary is very good as well, we had this last night

LumbergTech

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2005
My favorite way to do potatoes is actually on the grill. Teaspoon of oil glazed on the potato skin, salt, wrap up in foil and then let it go. So good.

Last edited:

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Baked skin is great for sure. But when you don't want to wait 90 minutes (quite literally), it's perfect.

Just don't eat the skin, that's the trade off for eating one on a whim under 5-7 minutes. The inside is exactly same as baked. Don't even try to argue otherwise.

If you're not going to eat the skin, what's the point of having a baked potato in the first place? Why not chunk it up and boil it, and simply not mash it?

Just had a baked potato - saved it for last, picked it up & ate it like an apple. Yumm! But not quite as yum as the NY Strip steak I had with it (plus baby carrots.) NY Strips were on sale - the whole strip loin for $4-something a pound on Friday. I bought a few - had the butcher cut them into 1" thick steaks; ended up with 34 nice steaks. Yum!! (Also picked up about 20 pounds of boneless skinless chicken breast; $1.68 a pound, 20 pounds of flour (dirt cheap), about 30 pounds of apples... it was a great sale! Oh, and potatoes were 98 cents for a 5 pound bag.