Is there an afterlife ?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001
Originally posted by: DefDC
After much research in college in altered and unaltered states I've pondered this. Organized religion never sat well with me. I started looking at spirituality in scientific manner. I realized that when we die our physical matter and energy from our bodies disperses back into the universe to exist again as all things.

Right now, in your body, you have atoms of dinosaurs, distant planets, the world's greatest heros, and the worst villians. After you die your atoms WILL live again in the bodies in all living and nonliving things. This will be true even after the sun supernovas and all existence as we know it is unmade.

For some reason, this fulfills me spiritually and I have no fear of death... (Not that I'm ready to check out any time soon) :)

In other words you become a floating pile of dirt. But you make it sound much more appealing.

Jugernot

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
I just recently had a discussion with my wife about this. She says, while she doesn't beleive in any one "GOD" she does beleive in a higher power and thinks there is an afterlife.

I on the otherhand, after years and years of beleiving there was no higher power, have just recently come to the opinion that something must be out that created the universe as I don't buy the big bang theory. This gives me great pain to admit, being a very scientific and logical person. BUT, I do not believe there is life after death.

As soon as you are born, the start dying.

jjzelinski

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2004
Originally posted by: ATLien247
I'm kind of eager to find out... enough so that I don't fear dying.

I guarantee you'd rethink that stance were you actually faced with death. You KNOW life, it's familiar and I'm sure you've come to appreciate it (at least of the most part.) Death, however, is an enigma; that's what makes it so intimidating. Maybe it sucks, maybe most of use will go to hell. Maybe it's awesome? Maybe it's nothing. The fact is NO ONE knows. Not ONE person.

All I know is there's plenty to do in life yet to see and do that I KNOW of, and that makes it preferable to death.

Originally posted by: Jugernot
I just recently had a discussion with my wife about this. She says, while she doesn't beleive in any one "GOD" she does beleive in a higher power and thinks there is an afterlife.

I on the otherhand, after years and years of beleiving there was no higher power, have just recently come to the opinion that something must be out that created the universe as I don't buy the big bang theory. This gives me great pain to admit, being a very scientific and logical person. BUT, I do not believe there is life after death.

As soon as you are born, the start dying.

My solution is to not take a position in a situation I can't possibly know the answer to. There is scientific evidence that lends itself to the POSSIBILITY of the big bang, whereas there isn't any scientific evidence of a higher power putting the universe together like a set of legos. Even so, "belief" requires (for me) a preponderance of probability that neither of these scenarios justifies even though one is certainly more "likely" than the other.

E equals MC2

Banned
Apr 16, 2006
Is there an afterlife? You know what's scary? You can actually find out in one minute if you really wanted to. Just off yourself.

manowar821

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2007
I honestly don't think so. Part of my is uncertain, though.. I know that thought is just a complicated series of electrical signals (more accurately described as sound waves, actually) and such. I don't think that would transfer over to some other state of being. How could it? I don't believe in souls. I mean, I'm an atheist.

But the fact that I find it SO hard to wrap my head around the concept of "nothingness" kind of scares the shit out of me.

Maybe we ascend in a quantum fashion, into another dimension. That would be pretty wicked.

jjzelinski

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2004
Originally posted by: manowar821
I honestly don't think so. Part of my is uncertain, though.. I know that thought is just a complicated series of electrical signals (more accurately described as sound waves, actually) and such. I don't think that would transfer over to some other state of being. How could it? I don't believe in souls. I mean, I'm an atheist.

But the fact that I find it SO hard to wrap my head around the concept of "nothingness" kind of scares the shit out of me.

Maybe we ascend in a quantum fashion, into another dimension. That would be pretty wicked.

If nothingness doesn't appeal to you then don't think about it, there's plenty of other more pertinent things in life life we can focus on :)

ATLien247

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2000
Originally posted by: jjzelinski
I guarantee you'd rethink that stance were you actually faced with death. You KNOW life, it's familiar and I'm sure you've come to appreciate it (at least of the most part.) Death, however, is an enigma; that's what makes it so intimidating. Maybe it sucks, maybe most of use will go to hell. Maybe it's awesome? Maybe it's nothing. The fact is NO ONE knows. Not ONE person.

All I know is there's plenty to do in life yet to see and do that I KNOW of, and that makes it preferable to death.

Guarantee, eh? I'll make sure to let you know when the time comes... :D

Anyhow, I never said I would prefer to die. I'd still like to live long enough to raise my children properly.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
In a literal sense, it is not logically possible for there to be life AFTER life.

Either way (and every way in between) has its own appeals and drawbacks.
If there's nothingness, you won't even be aware of it. No big deal.
If there is some kind of existence post-death, it might suck, like a hell or something.

My personal opinion is that our perception of time is an illusion generated by the physical nature of our consciousness, and that in reality every moment in time exists forever. Your entire life is like a bubble in time. And as each person is only conscious of their own little bubble of life, you never really die, you just discontinue in time (for lack of a better word).

jjzelinski

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2004
Originally posted by: ATLien247

Guarantee, eh? I'll make sure to let you know when the time comes... :D

Anyhow, I never said I would prefer to die. I'd still like to live long enough to raise my children properly.

Forgive me if I sounded crass, didn't intend to. I'm just finding that whereas I once held a similar view to yours, the more involved I become in raising a family the more intimidated I become by a sense of mortality. Although most of my aversion is due to my concern for my wife and child and the baggage they'd be left with were I to pass prematurely, there's also a growing concern that's intrinsically self centered the older I get.

Now as for why I superimpose my concerns over your life situation and mentality, it's mostly due to seeing how others in my life are coping with a sense of mortality. A friend of mine is facing brain cancer and everyone around him mourns his situation and are forced to reflect on their own limitations. Family members have died, both mine and members of those I'm exposed to on a daily basis, and where once a sense of curiosity and intellectual separation of mortality was now exists a much deeper concern. I think it's natural and can be enriching if we let it be, but this enrichment may be more fully realized and appreciated the older we get. Or perhaps it's the opposite, who knows :)

jjzelinski

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2004
Originally posted by: Vic
In a literal sense, it is not logically possible for there to be life AFTER life.

Either way (and every way in between) has its own appeals and drawbacks.
If there's nothingness, you won't even be aware of it. No big deal.
If there is some kind of existence post-death, it might suck, like a hell or something.

My personal opinion is that our perception of time is an illusion generated by the physical nature of our consciousness, and that in reality every moment in time exists forever. Your entire life is like a bubble in time. And as each person is only conscious of their own little bubble of life, you never really die, you just discontinue in time (for lack of a better word).

Very well put Vic, I agree. It's strange how we're all fixated on the afterlife when, more likely then not, we won't be around to give a hoot anyways. I think people are intimidated my the "meaninglessness" of it and construct beliefs that assuage this potentially destructive self-awareness.

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
I find it sad how religious folks will accuse non-believers of being "disingenuous" in their reliance on fallible science. For instance, "evolution is not a law" therefore to "believe" in it (which WOULD be the appropriate term) is akin to believing in religion. What absolute horse shit! The tenets and history of Christianity (for example) are intrinsically supernatural, meaning it defies natural explanation. Faith is faith because it LACKS proof, if there were proof it would be called KNOWLEDGE and getting into "heaven" would be easy peasy. Now, that being said, "believing" in science seems FAR less disingenuous than believing religion. Science provides direct and indirect, repeatable observation. By it's very design science must endure logical scrutiny in order to survive. Of course that is in stark contrast to religion where, for instance, "knowledge" is depicted as the fruit of "satan" and of course traveling down that path will get you a one way ticket to ETERNAL DAMNATION. Yeah, great argument there. I can see Jesus was the captain of HIS debate team...

Faith is "the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen" and it is by faith that "we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that the things which are seen were not made of things which are visible." Faith doesn't lack proof, but it is ultimately reliant on (and you are right on this point, if nothing else) supernatural ("greater than or above what is natural"). The inherent problem with science is not actually the problem with science itself, but the way in which some people (mainly atheists who vehemently declare that God does not exist) hijack science and turn it into a faith of its own. By definition, science cannot and does not deal with absolute truth, and its results or "facts" are always subject to change because there are aways new discoveries or corrections that come along. You are right that science must endure logical scrutiny. So must faith. No one asks you to check your brain at the door when you read the Bible (at least no one should). In fact, critical thinking and questioning are important things for all true Christians to have. The Bible commends anyone who closely examines what is being touted as true, and to see if it is really true or not.

Science is NOT an enemy to faith as some would make it out to be. Science further confirms what I believe, and what I believe confirms science. But just because a particular branch of science or a particular theory is held by many to be true doesn't mean that it is. Again, the very definition of science will tell you that you cannot make a claim to absolute truth (though faith can). And yet time and time again I have been insulted because I do not hold to the theory of evolution as put forth by Darwin and has been revised over the years. I've said it before and I will say it again: the fundamental and foundational assumption of evolution (on a macro scale) is faulty and false. Does that make me a Bible thumping idiot? Feel free to think so if you want, but that does not make it so.

And where you get that knowledge is the fruit of Satan? The tree in the garden in Eden was "the tree of the knowledge of good and evil", not "the tree of scientific knowledge". The knowledge of good and evil is what we call morality, and by eating of it mankind gained the ability to know (and therefore choose) between good and evil, but by disobeying God in that very action, man set himself on the path of evil. True knowledge itself is neither good nor evil, but the use of knowledge can be either for good or evil. I can use the knowledge of human anatomy to help the wounded and sick, or I could use it to maim and kill. The knowledge of good and evil is not what damns man, it is when man 's disobedience (sin) that damns him; it is being evil that damns a man to hell, not knowing what is right and wrong.

Now as for the fallibility of the bible, wasn't Revelations (the juiciest part that every evangelical romanticizes) written AT LEAST two generations after the time of Christ? I thought Christ was the final prophet.
Where in the Bible does it say that Christ was the last prophet?
And exactly what does that imply about the time-line within which the "good book" was penned by the almighty? Did he forget what amounts to the most important part of the book for many and said "aw shit, hey buddy I need you to do me a favor and write another chapter of the bible for me. The apostles are already dead and buried so you're my man." Or was it that "the man" was so disappointed by the reception his newest book received (didn't even break 10 on the the NYT best sellers list for 70 years!) that he felt he needed to add a little more incentive for people to take the stuff seriously by threatening to torment their fickle asses for all eternity?
The Revelation of Jesus Christ has an ending that clearly concludes the Word of God and perfectly complements the way the Bible begins in Genesis. The Gospels do not end in such a way, neither do the epistles. There is nothing that either Jesus said directly or that is said in the Bible by anyone else that would indicate that the gospels closed the revelatory Word of God.

Oh and then there's good old King James of the New King James Version Testament, he wasn't even Christian! By all accounts he was a horrible person, and we're supposed to assume he changed NOTHING in the bible?
You are absolutely right about the guy not being a Christian, and by all accounts he wasn't a good person. He wasn't the creator of the Bible, however. All he did was commission scholars to translate the books of the Bible into (what was then) modern English. And God isn't limited to using "good" people (no one is good anyways, apart from imputed righteousness from God) to achieve His will - just look at people like the Pharaoh (Rameses II?) and Nebudchadnezzar II to see how God can use even those who hate Him and work against Him to glorify Himself. King James didn't change anything himself, and neither did the translators. How do we know? We have many manuscripts from multiple sources from multiple time periods from multiple cultures going back nearly 2,000 years that indicate that the content of scripture remains essentially the same. Is clarity sometimes lost in translation? Yes, of course (which is why it is sometimes best to read the Bible in the original Hebrew, Aramaic, or Greek), but the essential content and meanings of passages have not changed. There is no more reliable or confirmed source going that far back in history, and it is even more reliable than many historical sources referenced in textbooks that came way after it.

Right... and what about the other gospels? Truth or fiction? Protestants don't exactly embrace their Catholic counterparts and go as far as to accuse them of being "unholy", of following a false path.
I agree with the protestant view that Catholics are following false teachings, as well as Mormons, Muslims, and other religions. There are no other true gospels or books of the Bible than the ones found in it presently (the 66 books). If you really want to know the confirmation process used in the early centuries to determine the legitimacy of the books put forward to be acceptable into the Bible, I will gladly go into it, but for the sake of brevity in this post, I will do so only if requested.
Well guess what, up until good old crazier-than-shit Martin Luther and his protestant revolution, EVERYONE WAS CATHOLIC.
"Everyone" was not Catholic, and there were many (including Martin Luther) who saw how false teachings contrary to the gospel of Jesus Christ has slowly over the centuries crept into the church. Martin Luther and the Reformation brought many back to the true reading and examining of scriptures that was not found in the Roman Catholic system. Just because many people are led astray does not mean that all were.
So do we believe the bible remained intact throughout all the iterations of corrupt clergy and papal thugs? Maybe it WAS disfigured, but was UNdisfiguered by the far holier protestant leaders henceforth. Yeah, that's it.
Like I said before, we have sources that predate the corrupt system (I would not call them a church) of that time. Even if there was some editing done to copies of the Bible, it was found out and destroyed (even during a corrupt time like that). Regardless, there are many untainted sources (like the Dead Sea/Qumran scrolls) that confirm the validity of the Bible today.
How about the contradictions between the accounts OF THE RESURRECTION OF CHRIST between the different books? I mean wtf, you think of all things the very foundation of the religion would at least have some consistency between two or three different authors.
Point out the contradictions in the Bible between the accounts. Even a lot of the extrabiblical sources support the resurrection of Jesus Christ.

I mean we're talking about a religion (Christianity for example only, but don't think I'm any more thrilled by Islam or Judaism) that are older than the Mayans, and those guys worshiped frigging jaguars. It's so damn archaic and bizarre that the vast majority of modern civilization is still holding on to these mythologies that only once in a blue moon am I even willing to acknowledge it. Otherwise I do what I can to put religion OUT of my life and give those who submit themselves to the Mighty Jaguar, er... Lord, a extremely WIDE berth. I can only imagine how this post will be perceived, but it just so happens that the moon is blue and I'm genuinely interested.
There are plenty of bizarre religions out there, no doubt. My national heritage is India, a place where the dominant religion is Hindusim, a religion in which anything and everything can be a 'god'. I'm not mocking them, they really do millions of gods. I don't point and laugh at them, I feel sorry and sick to the stomach that so many people are led astray by error. They aren't he only ones, though, and even many who claim to be Christian don't even know the truth of the Bible. People who don't know the Bible say Christianity is "archaic" or "bizarre", but like the Bible says, the wisdom of God is foolishness to the world, but the wisdom of the world is foolishness to God.

Just because there are many, many false religions out there (for every human being
there is a false religion) it doesn't mean that there isn't a True Religion, and in fact there could only be one and there is only One. The reason there are so many religions is very simple: we human beings, in our sinful state, don't want to worship God, so we invent other things (ourselves, animals, nature, money, etc.) rather than submit to the loving God who created us. It is pride that is the issue that prevents people from worshiping the true God, and not a lack of proof or anything else. We would rather exalt ourselves as god by putting ourselves first, and doing what we what, when we want, and deny that there is accountability to God. But you are accountable, as am I, for what you are and for every action that you take. The actions of a man don't condemn him, what he is (a sinner) is what does that, but the actions of a man do add to the debt of sin that, like I said before, can only be paid in one of two ways (see previous post). If it were not for the salvation given to me by God (it is a gift of God for all who will receive it, not something earned), I would be going to hell just like every accountable human being who does not repent. I deserve hell, and so does everyone else, and it is only God's grace that saves me from what I deserve. All humans are as evil as Hitler or any other famously evil person was, even though we don't all find ourselves in situations where our environment or power lends us to commit such atrocities. Anyone who thinks otherwise is lying to himself or herself.

"For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness, because what may be known of God is manifest in them, for God has shown it to them. For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse, because, although they knew God, they did not glorify Him as God, nor were thankful, but became futile in their thoughts, and their foolish hearts were darkened." - Romans 1:18-21

"For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord" - Romans 6:23

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Crono
Originally posted by: Engraver
Opinion does not matter, there is absolute truth and that Truth is found in the Bible.

The Bible was written by man, and man makes mistakes.

Let's say hypothetically that God does exist. If he funneled all the knowledge necessary to write the information in the Bible into a single, or even several people, what are the chances it would come out untainted by a human being's perspective?

Of course, that is just my opinion. :roll:

If God exists, (He does) wouldn't it be well within His power (it is) to preserve the Book that He gave to mankind? Would it be too difficult for the One who created the entire universe, who created it all out of nothingness, to inspire ("breath in", metaphorically speaking) His Word into the men of His choosing over the course of thousands of years and have it be completely consistent and inerrant? Man cannot destroy God's Word, though there have been and continue to be attempts to distort and destroy it over the centuries, and the book of the Revelation of Jesus Christ ends with a solemn pronouncement of judgment on anyone who even attempts to do so. People may interpret the Bible themselves, lending their own perspective, just like people can misinterpret any information for their own gain. But the Bible is "not subject to private interpretation", but it interprets itself. Even Satan quotes scripture, but he does so selectively in order to deceive others. That is why it is important to know the Bible in its full context, so such lies and distortions of the truth can be struck down.

Inerrant? What version of the bible do you have?

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: Srfrbum
Discuss.

Why discuss it? Nobody can prove a damned thing either way so a discussion is pointless and will just devolve into the usual religious nutjobs spewing passages out of some book about sky fairies written by man centuries ago arguing with those of us who think religion is a load of bull crap.

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
Crono, why do you preach like this? It's insulting.

I'm not trying to be insulting. I preach Christ because I care about where people end up for eternity. I am also accountable. If I know the truth and yet do not share it, what good is it? Any good thing is worthy of sharing and should be shared, and there is nothing more good than the good news (which is what the word "gospel" means) of salvation in Christ, and there is no one more good than God. I know that some will find God's Word offensive - salt stings, doesn't it? And yet salt is necessary to preserve, it has a necessary element for human life (sodium), and it adds flavor, and the same can be said about the Word of God and true Christians in this world.

I'm not trying to be "preachy" or looking down at anyone. I know I am a sinner, and I am the worst sinner I know because I don't know anyone else's heart/mind, but I do know my own. I know how bad I am naturally, and how much it cost for God to save me, so I am grateful to God and seek to glorify Him, not myself. I really only have :heart: for everyone here, even if you disagree with the message I am delivering or even if you insult me. If I didn't, I would just keep my mouth shut, not say anything to anyone, and let people never tell people about the true joy, peace, and salvation that come from knowing God.

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Descartes
Originally posted by: Engraver
Opinion does not matter, there is absolute truth and that Truth is found in the Bible.

The Bible was written by man, and man makes mistakes.

Let's say hypothetically that God does exist. If he funneled all the knowledge necessary to write the information in the Bible into a single, or even several people, what are the chances it would come out untainted by a human being's perspective?

Of course, that is just my opinion. :roll:

If God exists, (He does) wouldn't it be well within His power (it is) to preserve the Book that He gave to mankind? Would it be too difficult for the One who created the entire universe, who created it all out of nothingness, to inspire ("breath in", metaphorically speaking) His Word into the men of His choosing over the course of thousands of years and have it be completely consistent and inerrant? Man cannot destroy God's Word, though there have been and continue to be attempts to distort and destroy it over the centuries, and the book of the Revelation of Jesus Christ ends with a solemn pronouncement of judgment on anyone who even attempts to do so. People may interpret the Bible themselves, lending their own perspective, just like people can misinterpret any information for their own gain. But the Bible is "not subject to private interpretation", but it interprets itself. Even Satan quotes scripture, but he does so selectively in order to deceive others. That is why it is important to know the Bible in its full context, so such lies and distortions of the truth can be struck down.

Inerrant? What version of the bible do you have?

Do you want a point-by-point response to those apparent contradictions? It will take me some time, but I don't mind doing some research since it will only serve either to further prove or disprove my faith, and I am confident that it will only serve to add to my faith, not take away. Let me know.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
Originally posted by: Srfrbum
Discuss.

Why discuss it? Nobody can prove a damned thing either way so a discussion is pointless and will just devolve into the usual religious nutjobs spewing passages out of some book about sky fairies written by man centuries ago arguing with those of us who think religion is a load of bull crap.

I agree with you on your first part but not really on your second. Religion is the institution of faith, not the faith itself. That's an important distinction IMO.
Plus, evolution dictates that the conditions of the present are the result of those of the past. So if once men believed in fairy tales and now we know better, then the only reason that is so is because we learned from those mistakes.

edit: although I think we've just invented all new fairy tales, but that's another issue.

BeauJangles

Lifer
Aug 26, 2001
And yet time and time again I have been insulted because I do not hold to the theory of evolution as put forth by Darwin and has been revised over the years. I've said it before and I will say it again: the fundamental and foundational assumption of evolution (on a macro scale) is faulty and false.

I'll say it again. That's your opinion. Just because you have an opinion doesn't mean I have to have any respect for it, especially when it blindly ignores the wealth of evidence presented by science to validate evolution. Just because you have an opinion doesn't mean that anybody should put any value in it, particularly because your opinion isn't peer-reviewed or supported by any evidence whatsoever.

To answer the original question - I don't believe there is any afterlife. Just an eternity of nothingness.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Crono, why do you preach like this? It's insulting.

I'm not trying to be insulting. I preach Christ because I care about where people end up for eternity. I am also accountable. If I know the truth and yet do not share it, what good is it? Any good thing is worthy of sharing and should be shared, and there is nothing more good than the good news (which is what the word "gospel" means) of salvation in Christ, and there is no one more good than God. I know that some will find God's Word offensive - salt stings, doesn't it? And yet salt is necessary to preserve, it has a necessary element for human life (sodium), and it adds flavor, and the same can be said about the Word of God and true Christians in this world.

I'm not trying to be "preachy" or looking down at anyone. I know I am a sinner, and I am the worst sinner I know because I don't know anyone else's heart/mind, but I do know my own. I know how bad I am naturally, and how much it cost for God to save me, so I am grateful to God and seek to glorify Him, not myself. I really only have :heart: for everyone here, even if you disagree with the message I am delivering or even if you insult me. If I didn't, I would just keep my mouth shut, not say anything to anyone, and let people never tell people about the true joy, peace, and salvation that come from knowing God.

you sound like you are the world biggest pompous douche, argueing a theroy as fact isnt helping you any either

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Very well put Vic, I agree. It's strange how we're all fixated on the afterlife when, more likely then not, we won't be around to give a hoot anyways. I think people are intimidated my the "meaninglessness" of it and construct beliefs that assuage this potentially destructive self-awareness.
Thank you. And yeah, I'm pretty sure it's the meaningless thing. Which is kind of sad IMO because life has plenty of meaning in itself without needing to believe in a God or an afterlife. I guess there it's the problem of having to find that meaning for yourself as opposed to having others dictate it to you.