Is there an absolutely loaded meal replacement powder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fuzzybabybunny

Moderator<br>Digital & Video Cameras
Jan 2, 2006
I've wondered this from time to time, especially going through the cereal aisles and looking at the nutrition facts.

Is it really that hard to make a simple cereal or powder that's just loaded with everything that you need?

For example, one 80g serving having 400 calories, 100% of all the vitamins and minerals, 50% of your daily fiber, tons of antioxidants, 40g protein, correct amino acid profile, and tons of omega-3s. You could eat this 4-6 times a day or something.

It would be loaded with whey protein, flaxseed for the omega-3s, acai/gogi/antioxidant powder, vitamins and mineral powder, whatever. I feel like in terms of sheer volume, it wouldn't take much to be able to cram all this into a little shake. Hell, a tiny little multivitamin tablet already contains all the vitamins and minerals that we need.

I haven't been able to find a cereal or powder like this. Is it just technically impossible and/or unhealthy to make?

Mar 22, 2002
It's impractical and would taste horrible. Research has shown time and time again that eating your whole foods is the lowest risk, highest benefit thing to do. Supplements are meant to be supplemental. You're asking for a supplement that becomes sustenance - it's impractical and not especially necessary. Drink a smoothie with whey, olive oil, banana, kale, and berries. You get a ton of vitamins, nutrients, antioxidants, macros, etc. Very similar to what you're asking for... just way simpler.

fuzzybabybunny

Jan 2, 2006
It's impractical and would taste horrible. Research has shown time and time again that eating your whole foods is the lowest risk, highest benefit thing to do. Supplements are meant to be supplemental. You're asking for a supplement that becomes sustenance - it's impractical and not especially necessary. Drink a smoothie with whey, olive oil, banana, kale, and berries. You get a ton of vitamins, nutrients, antioxidants, macros, etc. Very similar to what you're asking for... just way simpler.

Is there something available that truly is a meal replacement? Say, for situations where you don't have access to whole foods? Out in the wild, etc? And in powder form. Not MREs. Hell, even just a bar.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2002
Is there something available that truly is a meal replacement? Say, for situations where you don't have access to whole foods? Out in the wild, etc? And in powder form. Not MREs. Hell, even just a bar.

I'm sure there are, but I doubt its pleasant. I imagine its more for survival than for pleasure or baseline sustenance.

fuzzybabybunny

Jan 2, 2006
I'm sure there are, but I doubt its pleasant. I imagine its more for survival than for pleasure or baseline sustenance.

You know what, I'm not so sure. Any kind of meal replacement I would think would be for temporary use. Like you said, survival. They would have enough to keep people functional, but not necessarily healthy forever. So no, they probably wouldn't contain omega 3's, antioxidants, lots of fiber, that sort of thing.

Are there any bars or powders for baseline sustenance?

Appledrop

Platinum Member
Aug 25, 2004
of course its possible, but the idea of it makes me feel sick.. as it is, i loathe protein shakes (and yet i drink them anyway)...

Lounatik

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
Don't know if Shakeology would work for you, but over at the p90x people, Beachbody, folks swear by this stuff. It purports to have all the stuff you are looking for.

Peace

Lounatik

Status
Not open for further replies.