Is there a "better" laundry detergent???

brian_riendeau

Platinum Member
Oct 15, 1999
Given there are about 100 different types of laundry detergent, which brands are actually better than other ones? I have been using a type of ALL and they stopped making it. I switched to another detergent and I think my clothes smell too flowery now. I wash my clothes by lumping everything together in my washer, then I stick it on COLD and wash them. I only have a couple article of clothes that I seperate.

Is any type of detergent just all around better? With hundreds of millions of people getting clothes dirty everyday, surely someone would have tested detergents. I tried Google and did not come up with anything conclusive.

KingNothing

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2002
If you went to the library I'm sure Consumer Reports has done a study on this at one time.

That said, I just buy whatever's the cheapest at any given time. My clothes get clean. /shrug

dakata24

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2000
any good ways of getting rid of ring around the collar other than pre-treating and scrubbing before washing?

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
If it smells, do a 2nd cycle. I use liquid dial from costco. smells good.

Ime

Diamond Member
May 3, 2001
My wife insists on unscented ALL liquid.

Any type of unscented should be fine.

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
Coming from having to find this question out myself because we lost everything when I became disabled and now on welfair. I can say we have tried everything under the sun.
Of course tide and other high dollor brands before the accident to the cheapest we could find as well.

After testing all the best bang for you buck, most ammount, and actually cleans your clothes and makes them smell nice is Sun that can be had at walmart. 200oz runs around $4 and sometimes they will have the 300oz on sale for under $5.

I can attest that you will not find a better detergant that costs less that will clean as good as the Sun brand.

cavemanmoron

Lifer
Mar 13, 2001
Originally posted by: Jzero
Originally posted by: brian_riendeau
I switched to another detergent and I think my clothes smell too flowery now.

So use an unscented detergent.

i use All or Purex "free" scent and dye free,
I sneeze a lot less around the house now,LOL.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Tide has some sort of detergent "designed" for cold washing now... as far as I can tell, it's basically thinner than the regular Tide.

tami

Lifer
Nov 14, 2004
i know people (like my mother) who are allergic to tide. i still use all. what kind of all was discontinued, and why not try a different type of the same brand?

brian_riendeau

Platinum Member
Oct 15, 1999
Tide has some sort of detergent "designed" for cold washing now... as far as I can tell, it's basically thinner than the regular Tide.

...and it is expensive! :p

I can attest that you will not find a better detergant that costs less that will clean as good as the Sun brand.

I will try this out. Hopefully it comes in liquid?

My wife strongly feels that unscented laundry detergent would drive her crazy, so I need to get something with a smell. I just am not happy with the stuff I have now. Once I use it all up, I will switch.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: funboy42
Coming from having to find this question out myself because we lost everything when I became disabled and now on welfair. I can say we have tried everything under the sun.
Of course tide and other high dollor brands before the accident to the cheapest we could find as well.

After testing all the best bang for you buck, most ammount, and actually cleans your clothes and makes them smell nice is Sun that can be had at walmart. 200oz runs around $4 and sometimes they will have the 300oz on sale for under $5.

The problem is that people have tapwater in different states of condition in different places of the country, and it makes a HUGE difference on how well soap works....

jadinolf

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: gsaldivar
costco's ghetto brand 4TW :beer::D

That's what I use but I am not fussy.

Many people who claim to be in the know recommend TIDE.

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
Originally posted by: brian_riendeau

...and it is expensive! :p

I will try this out. Hopefully it comes in liquid?

My wife strongly feels that unscented laundry detergent would drive her crazy, so I need to get something with a smell. I just am not happy with the stuff I have now. Once I use it all up, I will switch.

Yup liquid form and comes in several differnt smells as well.