Is the X850XT too much for me?

BlackTigers

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2006
4,493
2
71

Well, they got cheap. REAL cheap at newegg. And I was considering picking one up for a new build.

Now, I would like to game, and I would like to game at 1280x1024. Is the X850XT too much for my needs? Should I consider going with a lesser, cheaper card?

Rest of PC:
3500+ Venice OC'ed
1GB Generic (Soon to be 2GB name brand)
Antec Truepower 430
 

akshayt

Banned
Feb 13, 2004
2,227
0
0
No, it is too little for serious gaming. That CPU deserves to be geared with a 1900XT. Get a better power supply as well for a 1900XT class.
 

BlackTigers

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2006
4,493
2
71
Originally posted by: akshayt
No, it is too little for serious gaming. That CPU deserves to be geared with a 1900XT. Get a better power supply as well for a 1900XT class.

While a good idea, I have never seen a sub $150 x1900xt ;).

 

hmorphone

Senior member
Oct 14, 2005
345
0
0
Should be just about dead on. While there are certainly other cards that might work well, I think you will be pretty happy with it.
 

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
21,732
561
126
The x850xt is a nice card for its price range, especially if you play source games or oblivion.
 

BlackTigers

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2006
4,493
2
71
Originally posted by: PingSpike
The x850xt is a nice card for its price range, especially if you play source games or oblivion.


Well, I'm into BF2 quite nicely, if that helps...
 

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
28,482
20,570
146
@about $112 shipped after MIR and a postage stamp, You would have to spend double the money to get anything substantially faster.
 

BlackTigers

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2006
4,493
2
71
Good to hear. The bad thing is, I can't order until the 24th, so there is a chance it won' be there, or be this good of a deal :(.
 

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
28,482
20,570
146
Yeah, rebate expires the 14th. Still a good deal@under $150 though, with the 7600GT being the other viable candidate in that range.
 

996GT2

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2005
5,212
0
76
Either a X850XT or a 7600GT would work nicely for you. The 7600GT will perform better though, especially after some overclocking. It also uses less power and supports SM3, and also runs cooler and quieter than the X850.

BTW as you can see from my sig I too am running an overclocked 3500+ (Orleans) with 2 GB RAM and the 7600GT works great for me in gaming at 1280*1024 for even very demanding games like Need for Speed: MW.
 

Hadsus

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2003
1,135
0
76
Originally posted by: BlackTigers91

Well, they got cheap. REAL cheap at newegg. And I was considering picking one up for a new build.

Now, I would like to game, and I would like to game at 1280x1024. Is the X850XT too much for my needs? Should I consider going with a lesser, cheaper card?

Rest of PC:
3500+ Venice OC'ed
1GB Generic (Soon to be 2GB name brand)
Antec Truepower 430

I got it paired with a 3 ghz processor and thought the x850xt was being bottlenecked by the CPU.......so I'd say your CPU would be a very decent match.

 

Hidden Hippo

Member
Aug 2, 2006
183
0
0
If you want overkill have a look at my rig. X1900XT which is going to be running things at 1280x1024 on my monitor (I might get a bigger one at some point). Oh well, at least I'll have decent framerates. However, in your situation, the X850XT should be just about right for your needs.
 

ShadowOfMyself

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2006
4,230
2
0
Originally posted by: Hidden Hippo
If you want overkill have a look at my rig. X1900XT which is going to be running things at 1280x1024 on my monitor (I might get a bigger one at some point). Oh well, at least I'll have decent framerates. However, in your situation, the X850XT should be just about right for your needs.

Its not overkill because you can play everything at 6xAA + 16x HQ AF... AND games like oblivion arent that smooth even at 1280, so I dont see why everyone thinks a top end card is overkill for 1280 :confused:
 

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
34,890
1
0
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: BlackTigers91
Originally posted by: akshayt
No, it is too little for serious gaming. That CPU deserves to be geared with a 1900XT. Get a better power supply as well for a 1900XT class.

While a good idea, I have never seen a sub $150 x1900xt ;).

it is an awesome card for the price.

the only other contender is the 7600gt . . . and SM3.0 is not important for these midrange cards. ;)

and your PS is fine

the x850xt is NOT overkill . . . especially at 12x10 . . . i game at 11x8 [oblivion/B&W2] and i wish i had "more".
 

BlackTigers

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2006
4,493
2
71
Originally posted by: apoppin
Originally posted by: BlackTigers91
Originally posted by: akshayt
No, it is too little for serious gaming. That CPU deserves to be geared with a 1900XT. Get a better power supply as well for a 1900XT class.

While a good idea, I have never seen a sub $150 x1900xt ;).

it is an awesome card for the price.

the only other contender is the 7600gt . . . and SM3.0 is not important for these midrange cards. ;)

and your PS is fine

the x850xt is NOT overkill . . . especially at 12x10 . . . i game at 11x8 [oblivion/B&W2] and i wish i had "more".

Sweet. I am also heavily considering a 7600GT, but at around $30 more, I dono. The only thing that would draw me to a 7600GT is the power and noise standpoints, but a $20 cooler on the x850 would fix that....

 

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
28,482
20,570
146
Originally posted by: BlackTigers91


Sweet. I am also heavily considering a 7600GT, but at around $30 more, I dono. The only thing that would draw me to a 7600GT is the power and noise standpoints, but a $20 cooler on the x850 would fix that....
Depending on which 7600GT you bought, you could well need the aftermarket cooling for it to be quite as well.
 

imported_Truenofan

Golden Member
May 6, 2005
1,125
0
0
that card should be quite nice with it...i had a x800xl and that worked quite well together. asshat is being stupid as well, not every computer needs a friggin x1900xt and a new powersupply.....
 

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
34,890
1
0
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: BlackTigers91
Originally posted by: apoppin
Originally posted by: BlackTigers91
Originally posted by: akshayt
No, it is too little for serious gaming. That CPU deserves to be geared with a 1900XT. Get a better power supply as well for a 1900XT class.

While a good idea, I have never seen a sub $150 x1900xt ;).

it is an awesome card for the price.

the only other contender is the 7600gt . . . and SM3.0 is not important for these midrange cards. ;)

and your PS is fine

the x850xt is NOT overkill . . . especially at 12x10 . . . i game at 11x8 [oblivion/B&W2] and i wish i had "more".

Sweet. I am also heavily considering a 7600GT, but at around $30 more, I dono. The only thing that would draw me to a 7600GT is the power and noise standpoints, but a $20 cooler on the x850 would fix that....

you don't really need an aftermarket VGA cooler . . . my x850xt is a dual slot solution that exhausts the hot air outta the case . . . and it is 'loud' only on start-up.
:thumbsup:

for the price it is an excellent value
 

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
21,732
561
126
Honestly, I found the original cooler pretty untolerable and quickly replaced it. It was the loudest component in my PC...and my PC is not quiet. But what really bothered me about it was that the sound was more noticable....higher pitched I'd guess.

And don't hold your breath on the rebate. I sent mine out 5 months ago.
 

TanisHalfElven

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001
3,520
0
76
i'd recommend the 7600gt over the x850xt for 3 reason.

1. SM3 and HDR support.
2. lower temps and higher OCabilty
3. Lower power requirements.

not every one buys 70 buck PSU's that are needed for powerhogs like the x1900xt.
*goes to update sig with new PSU
 

BlackTigers

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2006
4,493
2
71
Originally posted by: tanishalfelven
i'd recommend the 7600gt over the x850xt for 3 reason.

1. SM3 and HDR support.
2. lower temps and higher OCabilty
3. Lower power requirements.

not every one buys 70 buck PSU's that are needed for powerhogs like the x1900xt.
*goes to update sig with new PSU

Hey man, I'de love a 7600GT, for sure.

But unless you wanna give me the extra $30 to afford one, I'm a bit SOL. :(.

 

TanisHalfElven

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001
3,520
0
76
Originally posted by: BlackTigers91
Originally posted by: tanishalfelven
i'd recommend the 7600gt over the x850xt for 3 reason.

1. SM3 and HDR support.
2. lower temps and higher OCabilty
3. Lower power requirements.

not every one buys 70 buck PSU's that are needed for powerhogs like the x1900xt.
*goes to update sig with new PSU

Hey man, I'de love a 7600GT, for sure.

But unless you wanna give me the extra $30 to afford one, I'm a bit SOL. :(.

but you said you could not buy it till the 24th and then the rebae will be expired. i forgot to mention this if both are the same price.
also you might wanna look into but i think the x850 rivals the 7800gt not the 7600gt.
 

BlackTigers

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2006
4,493
2
71
Originally posted by: tanishalfelven
but you said you could not buy it till the 24th and then the rebae will be expired. i forgot to mention this if both are the same price.
also you might wanna look into but i think the x850 rivals the 7800gt not the 7600gt.

It's still $135 before the rebates, which is amazing.

Oh, and the 7600GT is on par with the x850xt, and no, I don't want this turned into a big argument on which is better ;).