Is the division in American politics the result mostly from movement to the left by the left?

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
In my view the division in this country is mostly perpetrated by the rights inability to accept the fate that the country is becoming more diverse and progressive, and they are being dragged kicking and screaming into a world they are uncomfortable with. Republicans for better or worse live in a state of fear. That fear extends to gays, people of a different color, and outsiders. Religion is part of it. I know plenty of people that are devout and can accept change, however religion is an elixir for the simple minded, and a form of control, and people used to being controlled accept it in other areas of their life also. Change is tough when you don't want to.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
In my view the division in this country is mostly perpetrated by the rights inability to accept the fate that the country is becoming more diverse and progressive, and they are being dragged kicking and screaming into a world they are uncomfortable with. Republicans for better or worse live in a state of fear. That fear extends to gays, people of a different color, and outsiders. Religion is part of it. I know plenty of people that are devout and can accept change, however religion is an elixir for the simple minded, and a form of control, and people used to being controlled accept it in other areas of their life also. Change is tough when you don't want to.

Conservatives are ruthlessly exploited by their utterly insincere leadership. No matter why they vote GOP, it comes with ever increasing doses of trickle down bullshit, which is the source of their economic malaise in the first place.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
They have moved leftward, but not majorly so. That has always been my position and as much was reflected in the DW-NOMINATE data I showed you to begin with that you decided didn't count because it made you feel bad.

Polarization is overwhelmingly due to the radicalization of the right as the data shows but it is not entirely due to that.

EDIT: It would also be hilariously bad logic to claim that Democrats were responsible for partisan polarization because they were moving their position closer to what most people wanted.

A decade ago there was no forced government mandated healthcare. Then Obama passed it. And I like Obama decently, but other than giving Iran a hundred and thirty billion dollars or whatever the final number was, the ACA was his worst mistake. Now the left wants free college. The liberals are demanding at least $15/hr to drop fries in the fryer (gotta put salt on them too, so... moar money!). The left is constantly attacking the 2A. Today the left has made it so a dude in a dress can wait out his boner in the stall next to your daughter. The left no longer pushes for equality, but privilege. I have zero problem with the way someone goes about finding happiness and living their life so long as they aren't affecting my rights. But that's not enough for the left, I now have to call that same guy with the boner "she" and dismiss reality for his feelings, despite and xy chromosome in every cell in his body. Gender has always been closely associated with biological sex until liberals started to force their pretending on us all (and liberals don't seem to understand the difference between gender and gender roles). Drinking straws were fine, then the left opened their mouth again today. It was ok to be proud to be an American before the modern left. It was ok to want to vet those who come into our country too, now that's taboo and the left will manufacture a racist narrative whenever secure borders are brought up. The left has jumped decidedly left as of late, they are no longer moderate but extremism has become their new mainstream.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005

You guys manufacture a false racist narrative as you see fit. Every time, leftist racists creating racism.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
A decade ago there was no forced government mandated healthcare. Then Obama passed it. And I like Obama decently, but other than giving Iran a hundred and thirty billion dollars or whatever the final number was, the ACA was his worst mistake. Now the left wants free college. The liberals are demanding at least $15/hr to drop fries in the fryer (gotta put salt on them too, so... moar money!). The left is constantly attacking the 2A. Today the left has made it so a dude in a dress can wait out his boner in the stall next to your daughter. The left no longer pushes for equality, but privilege. I have zero problem with the way someone goes about finding happiness and living their life so long as they aren't affecting my rights. But that's not enough for the left, I now have to call that same guy with the boner "she" and dismiss reality for his feelings, despite and xy chromosome in every cell in his body. Gender has always been closely associated with biological sex until liberals started to force their pretending on us all (and liberals don't seem to understand the difference between gender and gender roles). Drinking straws were fine, then the left opened their mouth again today. It was ok to be proud to be an American before the modern left. It was ok to want to vet those who come into our country too, now that's taboo and the left will manufacture a racist narrative whenever secure borders are brought up. The left has jumped decidedly left as of late, they are no longer moderate but extremism has become their new mainstream.

I love it when insane rants like this happen.

Entertainment value of this meltdown aside I hope you're doing okay, you seem to be losing it lately.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

Entertainment value of this meltdown aside I hope you're doing okay, you seem to be losing it lately.

He'll cling to erroneous belief with his dying breath. To question any part of it might bring down the whole house of cards & he lacks the courage to go anywhere near that.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999

Thank you for this post. Fear is the real thing to me. The GOP has found out how to harness and weaponize fear and use it as a tool for control and manipulation of their intended narratives. It's such a basal emotion that it's hard to reason a person away from it once it's been implanted.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
He'll cling to erroneous belief with his dying breath. To question any part of it might bring down the whole house of cards & he lacks the courage to go anywhere near that.

I mean the guy is dimwitted and a liar, I just thought it was funny how he was reduced to crazed ranting about people with boners in the ladies bathroom. If I were a Trump supporter I would be so embarrassed to have this moron representing me.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I mean the guy is dimwitted and a liar, I just thought it was funny how he was reduced to crazed ranting about people with boners in the ladies bathroom. If I were a Trump supporter I would be so embarrassed to have this moron representing me.

You're trying so hard.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
You're trying so hard.

Apparently it's working too as that rant was off the charts insane, haha.

Related to your attempt to correct people's use of 'couldn't care less' in the other thread is there a particular reason you leave your signature misspelled? Is it just to make yourself an even easier target for laughs?

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005

That wasn't a rant, it is numerous examples of leftists going ever further left. And you cannot address any of it, so you cheer lead.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Apparently it's working too as that rant was off the charts insane, haha.

Related to your attempt to correct people's use of 'couldn't care less' in the other thread is there a particular reason you leave your signature misspelled? Is it just to make yourself an even easier target for laughs?

My signature is like it is to test people. To see who is more focused on grammar than the meat of the subject... It is a bit of an idiot test.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
My signature is like it is to test people. To see who is more focused on grammar than the meat of the subject... It is a bit of an idiot test.

Says the guy who literally just complained that someone said 'could care less' instead of 'couldn't care less' despite knowing exactly what he meant, thus focusing on grammar instead of the meat of the subject.

lol. Looks like you failed your own idiot test.

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
You guys manufacture a false racist narrative as you see fit. Every time, leftist racists creating racism.

I'm not a lefty by any means, I just can't stand the current Republican. He is, quite frankly, a piece of shit as a human being in my eyes. I expect a higher standard for the leader of our country. I think for myself, and I don't let a religion or a party do my thinking for me. And I said absolutely nothing about race other than the fact that many Repugnantones are afraid of people of color.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Did you just post this after correcting someone's grammar?

LOL!

Says the guy who literally just complained that someone said 'could care less' instead of 'couldn't care less' despite knowing exactly what he meant, thus focusing on grammar instead of the meat of the subject.

lol. Looks like you failed your own idiot test.

My grammar comment was very much secondary to posting something in regards to the subject. Holy fuck you guys are dumb and are stretching.

Feb 4, 2009
Without reading the entire thread, shit went south when Obama was elected.
To me the “You Lie!” moment is when it really began.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013

I was building even before that under Bush.

I think it comes down to people not seeing value in anything other than their subjective view. Why respect the office when its held by a shitty person, be it Bush, Obama, or now Trump.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
If you hate America this much, why don't you leave? I'll even help you: Maybe I'll send a letter to the "Trump Organization" suggesting the idea of building condominiums in the New Trump State of Antarctica where everything is white and hetero. It will be totally legitimate -- just like Trump University. And I'll suggest they give you a pre-sale on one.

PS F*** You.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000

I disagree. When Gingrich was the speaker is when it all came together and the GOP's slide has continued downward with the election of trump being the new low. 2010 was when their power was at its greatest. To get back to normal we have to undo all things Gingrich. To prevent it from happening again would require a suppression of free speech which won't happen so the only thing we can do is to codify what were once norms into laws.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I was building even before that under Bush.

I think it comes down to people not seeing value in anything other than their subjective view. Why respect the office when its held by a shitty person, be it Bush, Obama, or now Trump.

Gawd. Obama wasn't a shitty person. McCain's own supporters booed him during his concession speech when he said so. That was the first time I noticed that blind stupidity & inchoate rage were consuming the GOP base. It culminated in the election of 2016 when conservatives lost their marbles completely.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Gawd. Obama wasn't a shitty person. McCain's own supporters booed him during his concession speech when he said so. That was the first time I noticed that blind stupidity & inchoate rage were consuming the GOP base. It culminated in the election of 2016 when conservatives lost their marbles completely.

Jhhnn, I'm not saying Obama was a shitty person. I'm clearly saying that the individual and their subjective view of the person that holds the office might say that because he thinks the person is shitty there is no need to respect the office.

Jhhnn, how did you get lost here?

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Jhhnn, I'm not saying Obama was a shitty person. I'm clearly saying that the individual and their subjective view of the person that holds the office might say that because he thinks the person is shitty there is no need to respect the office.

Jhhnn, how did you get lost here?
Because you weren't careful with your words:

I think it comes down to people not seeing value in anything other than their subjective view. Why respect the office when its held by a somebody one thinks of as a shitty person, be it Bush, Obama, or now Trump. Or some such.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Because you weren't careful with your words:

I think it comes down to people not seeing value in anything other than their subjective view. Why respect the office when its held by a somebody one thinks of as a shitty person, be it Bush, Obama, or now Trump. Or some such.

You could say it either way. Its clearly established that the individual and that individual's subjective view are the topic. It did not change in the next sentence.