Is the ACC becoming THE conference?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
and maryland is hardly a regular football contender. besides FSU that conference has been a football joke.

HokieESM

Jun 10, 2002
Actually, Virginia Tech is NOT going to the ACC. I'm a student here... and this was posted on our website on last Thursday.

University Statement on Big East/ACC

Just for your information.

A few of my friends in the know say that Miami was indeed offered a spot... and seems VERY happy, if they can get sufficient TV coverage. Virginia Tech has whined and moaned about the Big East being "depleted" by this... and has threatened to file suit on the ACC.

Personally, I'm pretty neutral. I went to NCSU (btw, NCSU was in the top 25 in football last year, for the person that asked) for undergrad and masters, and I'm here at VT for my PhD. All it shows me is that this university will do ANYTHING for the football team (you wouldn't believe what I've seen.... cancelling night classes because they moved a game from Sat to Wed night.... telling professors to let students out early.... etc).

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: HokieESM
Actually, Virginia Tech is NOT going to the ACC. I'm a student here... and this was posted on our website on last Thursday.

University Statement on Big East/ACC

Just for your information.

A few of my friends in the know say that Miami was indeed offered a spot... and seems VERY happy, if they can get sufficient TV coverage. Virginia Tech has whined and moaned about the Big East being "depleted" by this... and has threatened to file suit on the ACC.

Personally, I'm pretty neutral. I went to NCSU (btw, NCSU was in the top 25 in football last year, for the person that asked) for undergrad and masters, and I'm here at VT for my PhD. All it shows me is that this university will do ANYTHING for the football team (you wouldn't believe what I've seen.... cancelling night classes because they moved a game from Sat to Wed night.... telling professors to let students out early.... etc).

miami and vt invited to ACC in a 7-2 vote

LeeTJ

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2003
Originally posted by: Feldenak
I would say that the SEC or the Big-10 are the top conferences.

As for Notre Dame joining the ACC...don't hold your breath.

Notre Dame is NOT going to join the ACC.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000

the pac 10 has probably won more national titles than any other conference.

HokieESM

Jun 10, 2002

They can INVITE them all I want... all I'm saying is that VT (in particular, Frank Beamer, the head coach of football) is vehemently opposed to joining the ACC.

I had seen your link earlier today... I realize the ACC is inviting them. But Virginia Tech (note the source of the webpage) is not interested.

Not that I care. :) But still.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: HokieESM

They can INVITE them all I want... all I'm saying is that VT (in particular, Frank Beamer, the head coach of football) is vehemently opposed to joining the ACC.

I had seen your link earlier today... I realize the ACC is inviting them. But Virginia Tech (note the source of the webpage) is not interested.

Not that I care. :) But still.

i'm ADDING to your statement of
A few of my friends in the know say that Miami was indeed offered a spot...
with that vt was also offered a spot, whether they want to go or not. hell, i did just point out that invited != going to

HokieESM

Jun 10, 2002
Gotcha, ElFenix... I wasn't offended or anything... I didn't want you to take it that way. :)

Yeah.... well, the ACC, supposedly, wants to become a football powerhouse. Basketball, they're doing pretty well--they consistently have 4 teams in the NCAA tournament (between Duke, UNC, Wake, NC State, FSU, and on occasion, Clemson). But if they get VT or Miami.... well, that might be something. FSU and NC State were both in the Top 25 last year.... if they add one or two more teams that are consistently that high, it could make them a pretty stand-out conference. And having Miami and FSU in the same conference? Wasn't the entire decade of the 90's just littered with FSU and/or Miami national championship games? :)

Oh well. I just don't know why they don't call college football "semi-pro" at this point and allow them to pay the players. Of course, given some colleges' conduct, some of the players are getting to the NFL and are really upset because now they have to play under a salary cap--in college, they didn't.

KrustyVT

Jun 28, 2000
The statement on the website was in response to conjecture about conference realignment that was leaked last week. This new development involving what looks like an official vote to extend invitations to Miami and VT changes things significantly. If the invites are truely extended, then start booking your travel plans for away games to MD, NC, and GT. There's no way this gets turned down.

-=K=-

mflacy

Golden Member
Aug 8, 2001
It seems like a strategy move to me. I bet the ACC still wants Miami/BC/and Syc.

VT has said they won't join if asked, but the Virginia Pres. has said he will only vote yes if they invite VT.

My guess is that VT turns them down. Then Virginia's vote is still yes and they invite BC and Syc which makes Miami happy.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
I would have rather seen Virginia Tech invited rather than Syracuse or Boston College. They are a far better football team as well as geographically nearby. Now, all we need is Notre Dame or Florida that way when the BCS reformats we can get 3-4 invites...Notre Dame likes to play the tough schools this is their knock on not joining any conferences. I think since the @ss whooping that NC State laid down on them in the last bowl bid, the ACC could offer alot to Notre Dame competitively

Bowl invites:
Florida State
Miami
Notre Dame or Florida
Virginia Tech
NC State
Maryland
Virginia
Clemson
possibly Wake Forest or Ga Tech

Loving it already

Pacfanweb

Lifer
Jan 2, 2000
Originally posted by: ElFenix

the pac 10 has probably won more national titles than any other conference.

Maybe, if you start counting diving, golf, tennis, women's basket-weaving.

Pacfanweb

Lifer
Jan 2, 2000
Originally posted by: Gobadgrs
minnesota won the ncaa championship for hockey the last 2 years, indiana won the natl soccer championship, mich state was the last national champ 3 years ago I believe
Well, you really can't count hockey, since most of the NCAA schools don't play it.
I'd bet that UNC has won more soccer titles than the whole Big 10 put together, and don't even talk about women's soccer.

Yeah, MSU won the hoops title a few years ago......now look at the last 25-30 years and tell me what conference has the most Final Four appearances. It ain't the Little 11.

The ACC is BY FAR the best basketball conference. The ACC tournament is the best basketball tournament, bar none. As far as football, check the ACC's record vs. non-ACC opponents for the last 5-10 years. You'll be very surprised, and you'll be shocked if you're an SEC fan. The ACC owns the SEC (which has the rep for being the best football conf.) in football. No, the big 10 does not have the rep. of being the best football conference. That respect goes to the SECheat conference.

FSU is a perennial powerhouse, as everyone knows. Maryland won the ACC two seasons ago. NC State was the highest ranked ACC team after this past season, after totally dominating Notre Dame in the Gator Bowl.
NC State is picked in the top 10 this season, and has beaten FSU 2 of the last 3.
Virginia is pretty highly thought of now, with back to back top 15 recruiting classes.
Maryland is still going to be strong.
FSU still gets top 10 recruits, and will be a force again.
Wake Forest beat a pac 10 team in a bowl last year.

Virginia Tech, although I really like them coming to the ACC, is NOT a football powerhouse. They had one good year, and that's it. They still have potential, but do not deserve the respect they gained when Michael Vick played there. They weren't that great before Vick, and aint' that great now. Good, but that's it. Still happy to have them, rather than Syracuse or Boston College.
Miami is a great football program, and an equally great baseball program. They will take their lumps in basketball.

Looking forward to playing both of these fine schools.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Well, I'm about to start a flame war here with the VT fans, but here goes anyways:

If Virginia Tech accepts, it has to be one of the biggest hypocracies ever propagated by a major university. I can't believe that this school begged the ACC to take them in (done behind closed doors) a month before any announcement was made about Miami, SU and BC, then whined when they were turned down. Then they headed up, with UConn, the lawsuit to sue Maimi and BC, made countless statements on their intentions to now stay with the BE and decline any invitation to the ACC, but also at the same time pressure the Virginia governor and legislature to squeeze UVA into only accepting an ACC expansion with VT. Now, that it has been stated they will be invited, they pull off the announcement you linked HokieESM, and have said they will be discussing the issue with their Board of Regents (or whatever they are called). And as much as Beemer doesn't want to go, VT is gone to the ACC. I can not see how this school can be trusted, ever. Talk about your ethics, geesh.

And for those who would complain, Miami, BC and SU have been out in the open with their desires, VT has handled this all behind the scenes. Disgraceful.

KrustyVT

Jun 28, 2000
Originally posted by: CPA
Well, I'm about to start a flame war here with the VT fans, but here goes anyways:

If Virginia Tech accepts, it has to be one of the biggest hypocracies ever propagated by a major university. I can't believe that this school begged the ACC to take them in (done behind closed doors) a month before any announcement was made about Miami, SU and BC, then whined when they were turned down. Then they headed up, with UConn, the lawsuit to sue Maimi and BC, made countless statements on their intentions to now stay with the BE and decline any invitation to the ACC, but also at the same time pressure the Virginia governor and legislature to squeeze UVA into only accepting an ACC expansion with VT. Now, that it has been stated they will be invited, they pull off the announcement you linked HokieESM, and have said they will be discussing the issue with their Board of Regents (or whatever they are called). And as much as Beemer doesn't want to go, VT is gone to the ACC. I can not see how this school can be trusted, ever. Talk about your ethics, geesh.

And for those who would complain, Miami, BC and SU have been out in the open with their desires, VT has handled this all behind the scenes. Disgraceful.

Oh please.

I won't deny that this was not handled well by VT, but there is no way VT assumes 100% of the blame in this situation. Miami has been LESS then forthcoming with their desires, as the lawsuit alleges. Whether this lawsuit has merit is a discussion for another day, but it is pretty clear that Miami has been discussing this move behind closed doors for YEARS. And forget individual teams, let's look at the conference - at this point the ACC is looking like the drunk, lonely guy at the party - they are looking for ANYONE to latch on to so this expansion debacle gets completed.

The factors being considered for a possible conference move by VT have nothing to do with what has been said up to this point, or how things will look in 2003 or 2004. This move to a new conference will be made to ensure that VT is in a viable conference for years to come. If an invitation is declined at this point, VT will surely be left out when the next expansion vote comes up next season.

This has been handled HORRIBLY by ALL sides involved. Ideally VT and Miami tell the ACC to go to hell, the BE remains intact and we start cherry picking teams (UVA & FSU) from the ACC and then add Louisville to make 12. Two can enjoy this little dance called Expansion.

VT Calls 2 P.M. Special Meeting Of Board Of Visitors

Realistically? Hello, ACC country. I'm not happy about it, but here we go: VT to the ACC - book it.

-=K=-

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
As soon as the ACC gets its act together and grabs a couple of teams out of the Big East, Louisville is going to kiss Conference USA goodbye and join the Big East!   Finally, a decent conference for my Cards!   :D

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: conjur
As soon as the ACC gets its act together and grabs a couple of teams out of the Big East, Louisville is going to kiss Conference USA goodbye and join the Big East!   Finally, a decent conference for my Cards!   :D

For BBall, but no FBall.

And KrustyVT, it is pure hypocrisy and horrible ethics, nothing more, nothing less. Additionally, I just don't understand how the ACC accomplishes anything with an 11 team conference.

FuzzyBee

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2000
Originally posted by: conjur

I'd bet that if this goes down, CUSA will be cherry-picking from the BE, not the other way around.

Ynog

Golden Member
Oct 9, 2002
First off I am ACC biased so I won't disbute I favor the conference.

And I will be first to admit that the ACC isn't a powerhouse football conference.
However like pointed out before many teams underestimate ACC football teams.
And the conference is getting better, addition of Miami would help. If you look at
ACC bowl games this last year. They went 4-3. So 7 out of 9 teams went to bowl
games. I know they are a ton of bowls games but thats still not bad. ACC is definately
improving in football.

Basketball: ACC is the conference, might not win the NCAA tourney every year, but there
is no doubt no one ever looks forward to playing ACC teams. And inside the ACC regular
season there is no such thing as a easy away game. Any ACC fan knows that even FSU
can give your team a run for you money when you are in Tallahassee. Will they going to be
the best basketball conference every year, no, but they are always fighting for that top spot
as the best basketball conference, and usually they get it.

As for other sports. ACC holds its own.

Would I say that ACC is the Conference. no, cause there will always be a conference that is better at a particular sport than
another one. Espeically with all the sports out there. I mean you won't ever see the ACC being a hockey conference.
But ACC is tough in most of the sports it plays and you can bet you will see ACC teams at the top of the NCAA All-Sport standings.

As for Big East I have a feeling they will do more picking than teams being picked from them.
If both Viriginia Tech and Miami go the ACC, which seems like its going to happen. I think the
Big East is going to decide how it wants to define itself as a conference and start taking teams.
If it wants to focus more on Basketball I wouldn't be surprised if it grabs A-10 or CUSA teams.
And without Miami and Viriginia Tech, which are not notoriously strong basketball teams, the Big
East could come out a stronger Basketball Conference.

Soccer55

Golden Member
Jul 9, 2000
The ACC as it stands RIGHT NOW is the most overrated conference in the nation.

Let's talk basketball. One of the following must be true if you can honestly say that the ACC was better than the Big 12 in basketball last year:
A) You are Duke Vitale
2) You are Jay Bilas
D) You are an ACC fanboy and/or a student at an ACC school that is in severe denial
?) You completely missed the whole college basketball season

The Big 12 finished the year with 3 teams in the top 10 (consisting of #2, #3, and #7) and 5 in the top 25 and they consistently had 5 or 6 teams in the top 25 all year. The ACC, however, finished with 2 top 10 teams and 3 in the top 25 and consistently had 3 or 4 teams in the top 25 during the year. Hell, the Big East finished with 2 teams in the top 10 and 2 in the top 25 including the national (and Big 12) champion Syracuse Orangemen. The fact of the matter is that UNC tanked after Sean May got injured, Duke had what could be described as an "off year" for that program, and both Virginia and Georgia Tech had decent seasons but faded at the end of the year. Maryland and Wake did have great seasons and both played some solid ball in the tournament.

Now let's talk football. FSU is always a powerhouse, but one could say they had an off year in going 9-5. NC State and Maryland both had great seasons and Virginia had a respectable 9-5 season as well. The Big 12 easily lays waste to the ACC as a football conference as Colorado, K-State, Texas, and Oklahoma were downright nasty last year. Even Texas Tech had a decent year going 9-5 (note: same record as FSU and Virginia while playing tougher conference opponents).

The addition of Miami and VT would put the ACC over the top in football and would rival the Big 12 for conference supremacy in college football. But these schools will do next to nothing for the ACC in basketball as Miami is a mediocre team and VT gets crapped on all the time by Big East opponents. If this does go down, it will be interesting to see what is going to happen with the Big East as far as football goes. Connecticut is slated to join the Big East in football sometime in the next couple of years, but I wonder if they will try to pick up ND for football as well (which is very unlikely to happen for ANY conference, let alone the Big East). Hopefully whatever happens won't hurt the Big East too much, if at all.

-Tom

LS20

Banned
Jan 22, 2002
BIG 12:

Basketball:
2nd - kansas
3rd - texas
7th - oklahoma

past year we've had 6 teams ranked in the top 25

Football:
5. oklahoma
6. kansas state
7. texas

we also had 2 teams in the top 5 at points during the year?

baseball:
2002 champ texas. also participated in college world series 2003

jaydee

Diamond Member
May 6, 2000
No

Not in basketball anyway. 2003 NCAA Men Champs (SU), Women champs (UConn), NIT champs (G-Town?)

I'd say the Big East has a pretty decent league still despite losing a "powerful" Miami team and probably picking up Lousville in it's place.

Go Orange! Bring back McNabb!!

alexjohnson16

Platinum Member
Dec 27, 2002
I don't understand how anyone can say that the Big 12 isn't the best football conference...

They have multiple powerhouses each year in Oklahoma, Texas, and Nebraska and they have great supporting roles from Colorado, Texas Tech, A&M, and Missouri...

Big Ten showed this year why they are a big football conference too, w/ Ohio State and Iowa in the Top 2 Bowl Games...

Parrotheader

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 1999
Originally posted by: Gobadgrs
for the conference.... big 10 is tops in almost every major sport.... football, basketball, hockey..
I agree the Big 10 is definitely one of the top conferences, but hockey is NOT one of the top 3 sports in this country. Baseball would definitely be the biggest after football and basketball. While hockey is obviously a major sport, it's still more of a mostly regional sport. Baseball's sort of regional too, but the climate for most of the country is far more favorable to baseball than hockey. Once you get outside the northeast and midwest the hockey teams are few and far between.