Is sexual orientation genetic or shaped by social taboos?

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
Oh lord, why? You are going to hear arguements from both sides, but really I don't think I'd trust either side. Just stick with the fvck it approach, and you won't encounter any problems.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
considering homosexuals don't ussually have homosexual parents or come from homosexual societies, i'd say genetics mostly.

Nocturnal

Lifer
Jan 8, 2002
Originally posted by: dparker
Oh lord, why? You are going to hear arguements from both sides, but really I don't think I'd trust either side. Just stick with the fvck it approach, and you won't encounter any problems.

Yeah, just do a search for homosexual and you'll find everyone's opinion on this topic. No need to start it up again, and again, and again. Once is enough, use the search feature.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
Originally posted by: CoolTech
what's the fvck it approach?

Fvck it, it doesn't matter because as of right now (to the best of my knowledge which might not be saying much) we do not have ample proof to say one way or the other. Who knows what answers the future may hold, but right now I get the feeling that most people are arguing off of emotion not fact.

PlatinumGold

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
considering homosexuals don't ussually have homosexual parents

hmm wouldn't this be stronger support for the enviroment arguement?? we usually think of genetic traits as those we get from our parents or grandparents.

Nocturnal

Lifer
Jan 8, 2002
We've seen this argument so many times. Don't you guys get sick of arguing over something that isn't proven on either side?

WinkOsmosis

Banned
Sep 18, 2002
Not taboo.. society in general would be the correct question.

That's a very difficult question. It comes down to nature or nurture. Is sexual orientation genetic? Is who you're attracted to hardwired in our DNA?
The Sambia practice semen transactions, in which boys fellate men and swallow the semen in order to grow strong. These boys later get married, but often retain a desire for men, so they sneak off have oral sex with men. Is it because they are genetically homosexual or is it mental?

Stojakapimp

Platinum Member
Jun 28, 2002
Originally posted by: Jellomancer

That's a very difficult question. It comes down to nature or nurture. Is sexual orientation genetic? Is who you're attracted to hardwired in our DNA?
The Sambia practice semen transactions, in which boys fellate men and swallow the semen in order to grow strong. These boys later get married, but often retain a desire for men, so they sneak off have oral sex with men. Is it because they are genetically homosexual or is it mental?

wow...that is utterly disgusting. I wish you would have never told us that

WinkOsmosis

Banned
Sep 18, 2002
Originally posted by: Stojakapimp

Is it disgusting or is that feeling shaped by social taboo?

Stojakapimp

Platinum Member
Jun 28, 2002
Originally posted by: Stojakapimp

Is it disgusting or is that feeling shaped by social taboo?

no, i'm pretty sure it's just disgusting

AreaCode707

Lifer
Sep 21, 2001
I read an article by a Christian author - James Dobson - once, which made an interesting point. On the question of whether or not homosexuality is a choice, who in their right mind would choose a path that leads to such incredible social mistreatment? There must be something more than simple choice involved, and few parents raise their children to "be" homosexual. (I put "be" in quotes because I don't really consider sexual orientation to be an identity.) That said, I don't think it's genetic as genetic would be techincally defined. I don't think it's a trait passed on through genetic makeup. I do think that those sexual desires are sometimes an inherent part of a person's makeup, without being genetic, just as personality is part of a person's makeup without being genetic. I don't think one can classify the cause of all homosexuals' homosexual desires either.

This is a post all without regard to the legitimacy of homosexual behavior, regarding only the cause of the sexual desire. My personal stance on the behavior is that it is immoral to act upon (that sounds very harsh in today's society, I am aware of that.) I don't, however, think there's a hierarchical moral system, so homosexuality is no more or less immoral than simple adultery, or lying for that matter. Just have to include that as the completion of my thoughts on the subject.

LordMaul

Lifer
Nov 16, 2000
Originally posted by: Nocturnal
Originally posted by: dparkerOh lord, why? You are going to hear arguements from both sides, but really I don't think I'd trust either side. Just stick with the fvck it approach, and you won't encounter any problems.
Yeah, just do a search for homosexual and you'll find everyone's opinion on this topic. No need to start it up again, and again, and again. Once is enough, use the search feature.

That's not all you will get from such a search.

AreaCode707

Lifer
Sep 21, 2001
Originally posted by: AmazonRasta
Originally posted by: ffmcobalt
It's shaped in the mind at an early age.

You would know. You've been gay for how long now? Sixteen, seventeen years?

Wow, did we all just graduate from 5th grade or what?!
rolleye.gif
Amazes me the sophisticated level that the art of insulting rises to on these forums. (And yes, that includes my cliche slur about being in grade school ;))

AmazonRasta

Banned
Dec 2, 2000
Originally posted by: HotChic
Originally posted by: AmazonRasta
Originally posted by: ffmcobalt
It's shaped in the mind at an early age.

You would know. You've been gay for how long now? Sixteen, seventeen years?

Wow, did we all just graduate from 5th grade or what?!
rolleye.gif
Amazes me the sophisticated level that the art of insulting rises to on these forums. (And yes, that includes my cliche slur about being in grade school ;))

I never cease to amaze anybody.