Is Seattle a good place to move to?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ameesh

Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Phocas
Originally posted by: Ameesh
Originally posted by: Skoorb
Originally posted by: Heisenberg
You like rain?

I know its really overcast and stuff inthe fall winter, but i hear spring/summer is killer.
Yeah...when it's not raining.

Seattle is like England, except at least SOMETIMES it's sunny.

Also, do you really want to say you live that close to Ameesh!?

dont come here! it is a terrible place and i will be leaving as soon as i can!

terrible terrible.... i cry myself to sleep many time because this place is soo horrible

I would buy that if i didnt spend the last 4 days hanging out with the coolest people i have ever met. Even the Gay bar we accidentally stumbled on was insanely cool (not counting the trans that scared the bejeebus outta me).

Scarecrow video in the University district is where my best friends brother works, missed him by an hour that day. The bus drivers could be a little better, we had to haggle them to accept our transfers because they were late on their pickups.... Anything to save $1.25 :D.

<---- :(:(:(:(:(

Originally posted by: Skoorb
Originally posted by: Heisenberg
You like rain?

I know its really overcast and stuff inthe fall winter, but i hear spring/summer is killer.
Yeah...when it's not raining.

Seattle is like England, except at least SOMETIMES it's sunny.

Also, do you really want to say you live that close to Ameesh!?

dont come here! it is a terrible place and i will be leaving as soon as i can!

terrible terrible.... i cry myself to sleep many time because this place is soo horrible

I would buy that if i didnt spend the last 4 days hanging out with the coolest people i have ever met. Even the Gay bar we accidentally stumbled on was insanely cool (not counting the trans that scared the bejeebus outta me).

Scarecrow video in the University district is where my best friends brother works, missed him by an hour that day. The bus drivers could be a little better, we had to haggle them to accept our transfers because they were late on their pickups.... Anything to save $1.25 :D.

<---- :(:(:(:(:(

?

AreaCode707

Lifer
Sep 21, 2001
Meh, I'm from NorCal and the rain isn't half as bad as people say. I haven't noticed a perceptible difference, though people did say we had a dry fall this year. I've been here for about five months. The traffic sucks, the area is beautiful for a city, and the unemployment rate is the highest in the country. I've found people to be fairly friendly, the cops to be incredibly anal about stupid things (like if you're sitting in your parked car, reading, in a park at "dusk" (7:30 in early October).

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
Originally posted by: HotChic
Meh, I'm from NorCal and the rain isn't half as bad as people say. I haven't noticed a perceptible difference, though people did say we had a dry fall this year. I've been here for about five months. The traffic sucks, the area is beautiful for a city, and the unemployment rate is the highest in the country. I've found people to be fairly friendly, the cops to be incredibly anal about stupid things (like if you're sitting in your parked car, reading, in a park at "dusk" (7:30 in early October).

That would explain the MASSIVE amount of homeless people (especially at the public library on Pike downtown).

Come to think of it, if i had a quarter for everytime a homeless person asked to buy a single cigarette, i would be rich enough to move there.

Lots of homeless people here, as well as in LA. You become inured to them after a while.

Originally posted by: Orsorum
Originally posted by: HotChic

That would explain the MASSIVE amount of homeless people (especially at the public library on Pike downtown).

Come to think of it, if i had a quarter for everytime a homeless person asked to buy a single cigarette, i would be rich enough to move there.

Lots of homeless people here, as well as in LA. You become inured to them after a while.

I got used to them in Cincinnati around campus (they were forced to move there from downtown after an ordinance was passed), but this was the first time that %95 asked to buy a single cigarette lol.

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
I haven't been to Gasworks in so long!!

Alright, that's it. This July, we're having an ATOT meet at Gasworks. complete with hot dogs, marshmallows, and vodka in water bottles. Although knowing AT, I'm sure we'll have plenty of sausage.

Alright, that's it. This July, we're having an ATOT meet at Gasworks. complete with hot dogs, marshmallows, and vodka in water bottles. Although knowing AT, I'm sure we'll have plenty of sausage.

lol, thats another thing, i guess water bottles are a big fad or something. Ill be filling mine with Canadian whiskey. Count me in though :D.

jst0ney

Platinum Member
Feb 20, 2003
My gawd I love that city. I've been away for school for 3.5 years now and can't wait till the day I move back (May 30th).

Obey the Troll.

jacob0401

Platinum Member
Jul 31, 2001
Seattle is excellent. I live in the suburbs, Sammamish. The winters are ok but the falls and summers are quite pleasant. I have lived in Seattle for 12 years now and I'm staying in Seattle to attend UW. Might leave after that to see other places but I'm pretty sure I'd like come back to live in Seattle.

phonemonkey

Feb 2, 2003
I miss living in the Seattle area (by Ft Lewis, actually). I'm trying to find a job up there so I can move back.

I miss my normal summers!!!

Spike

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2001
I love Seattle. I come from a city with over 200 sunny days a year, and it was not hard at all to adjust to Seattle. I still like to see snow, but that works because there are two mountain ranges very close (as well as some nice skiing, whistler is only 3ish hours north!). I live in sandpoint, which is just northeast of the U-district, right on lake washington which is still in the city, but more of a nice neighborhood. The rent is ghastly, but once you get over that the city is pretty cool. There are a ton of nice places to eat (even in my college student budget) and plenty of things to do. Not to mention a small but very cool international district. PM me if you want any more details

-spike

Originally posted by: Spike
I love Seattle. I come from a city with over 200 sunny days a year, and it was not hard at all to adjust to Seattle. I still like to see snow, but that works because there are two mountain ranges very close (as well as some nice skiing, whistler is only 3ish hours north!). I live in sandpoint, which is just northeast of the U-district, right on lake washington which is still in the city, but more of a nice neighborhood. The rent is ghastly, but once you get over that the city is pretty cool. There are a ton of nice places to eat (even in my college student budget) and plenty of things to do. Not to mention a small but very cool international district. PM me if you want any more details

-spike

lol

AzNmAnJLH

Golden Member
Feb 26, 2002
come to seattle, we could use more east coaster to equalize the imbalance cause by the great californian migration in the 90's. traffic only started sucking once those bastards moved here.

novon

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Seattle sucks, move to Vancouver

Funny you should say that, after 15 years in Seattle, I'm going to be moving to Vancouver soon. I like Canada over the US plus the city is much bigger and has all the pluses of Seattle + more. Traffic is worse than Seattle's though. Now if I could just find a job there for immigration...

novon

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Yeah that's another thing, Seattle's downtown area pretty much shuts down at 6

FatAlbo

Golden Member
May 11, 2000

As long as you supply the buns...

:D