Is Rush Limbaugh still relevant?

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
As long as he has an audience, he's relevant.

To them, sure. To the wider public, probably not. Even if you were seeking out a conservative POV (whether to validate your own POV or to challenge it), Rush is no longer the only game in town. The internet has allowed for a far broader range of voices to be available, and many offer far superior content as well. You can even find voices with specific niche conservative views if that's what you want - looking for some white papers from a socially conservative/anarcho-capitalist economic leaning think tank? You can get it on the web.

finglobes

Dec 13, 2010
You can tell Rush is quite relevant by the way the left is fixated to him. It reminds me of Notre Dame football haters who are always complaining about ND getting special TV packages stating ND has become "irrelevant" in college football - yet its the haters tuning in hoping ND loses who keep ND ratings up.

According to Gallup 40% of Americans describe themselves as conservative, 35% as moderate and 21% as liberal. Since Rush reflects the conservative audience he is more relevant than MSNBC, CNN etc

I think the kerfuffle over Rush's advertisers is overcooked but there is no denying the admin and their liberal groups have been attacking and intimidating advertisers of conservative media since Obama election. its also true that advertising agencies are stacked with women (who not only lean toward that field but college populations are overwhelmingly female) and liberal types. In time its they who will make themselves irrelevant because you cant keep doing business in a way that denies what it people actually want and what advertising staff and a tyrannical politicians want them to have. Right now its Obama and Dems who are becoming irrelevant while being jacked up in their own petard trying to get at people they hate.

Conservatives Remain the Largest Ideological Group in U.S.
http://www.gallup.com/poll/152021/conservatives-remain-largest-ideological-group.aspx

IBMer

Golden Member
Jul 7, 2000
You can tell Rush is quite relevant by the way the left is fixated to him. It reminds me of Notre Dame football haters who are always complaining about ND getting special TV packages stating ND has become "irrelevant" in college football - yet its the haters tuning in hoping ND loses who keep ND ratings up.

According to Gallup 40% of Americans describe themselves as conservative, 35% as moderate and 21% as liberal. Since Rush reflects the conservative audience he is more relevant than MSNBC, CNN etc

I think the kerfuffle over Rush's advertisers is overcooked but there is no denying the admin and their liberal groups have been attacking and intimidating advertisers of conservative media since Obama election. its also true that advertising agencies are stacked with women (who not only lean toward that field but college populations are overwhelmingly female) and liberal types. In time its they who will make themselves irrelevant because you cant keep doing business in a way that denies what it people actually want and what advertising staff and a tyrannical politicians want them to have. Right now its Obama and Dems who are becoming irrelevant while being jacked up in their own petard trying to get at people they hate.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/152021/conservatives-remain-largest-ideological-group.aspx

That poll is suspect. A lot of what the right would label as "liberals" are really moderates. Where as most who are conservative identify with that label.

etrigan420

Golden Member
Oct 30, 2007
No. He's not relevant now, nor has he ever been.

The only reason he was ever popular at all is because Conservatives need someone to tell them what to believe, and when to believe it.

"Ditto-head" indeed.

Side Note: Did he get his testicles removed or is he on some sort of Estrogen therapy? The local morning news station played a blurb from his show a couple of days ago and his voice seemed a lot higher than I remember...maybe it's just what he sounds like off the Oxy's? Life's little mysteries.

finglobes

Dec 13, 2010
"That poll is suspect. A lot of what the right would label as "liberals" are really moderates. Where as most who are conservative identify with that label."

A lot of "moderates" are also really conservatives - especially the "Independent" voters who are increasingly just GOP defectors.

The rating of cable news shows (only place there is a choice) reflects the poll. MSNBC has awful ratings while Fox leads the pack. The problem for conservatives is that at 6-7 PM the major network audiences are about 30 million and Fox is about 2.5 million. The major nets are all joint gov-media complex. Fox would actually do better if they were mroe conservative. They've really gone down hill with all the pressure put on them. Keep in mind Media Matters was calling for private investigators to find dirt on Fox employees ( a violation of their tax status) while the IRS was being set out on conservative groups

IBMer

Golden Member
Jul 7, 2000
There is no comparing Fox News with MSNBC. MSNBC isn't all that great even to those on the left. It has no indication to who is what.

marincounty

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2005

If advertising agencies are stacked with women, maybe it doesn't serve Rush well to refer to women as feminazis?
And this is what conservatives want, to have their women called names?
I am surprised anyone listens to the gas bag anymore.

Ice_Dragon

Nov 17, 2011
Yeah I think he is actually. I don't always agree with him (much like Bill Maher and probably less than Bill Maher) but he is entertaining and good lunchtime radio. He is not as serious as a Sean Hannity, Mark Levin, and definitely the opposite of Michael Savage (who I like too though can be very weird at times).

If he is booted from WABC, he will go to WOR in NY most likely.

LightPattern

Feb 18, 2013
Since Rush reflects the conservative audience he is more relevant than MSNBC, CNN etc

No.. no he doesn't.
He's a far worse person even then most of those who agree with most of the points he makes. I think a large part of the draw is like watching Nascar - the chasing of cacophonous arguments and the occasional smash up.

On a side note - the only popular talking head I find more repulsive is Ann Coulter.

nextJin

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2009
There are way more conservative hosts I'd rather listen too, Wikow and Church for starters.

Levin is worse than Limbaugh imo and Hannity is all about Obama.

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
Most of his audience is too stupid to understand that he isnt even conservative. He is actually very liberal.... he is in full support of the State/War Machine. You cant be both the policeman of the world and conservative at the same time. He is a big tax and spend liberal who pretends to be all about reducing taxes, even though said tax reductions result in deficits which are paid for by inflation, which is just another form of taxation. 90% of his audience understand neither the perpetual war state or the concept of inflation as a stealth tax. His audience infact understand almost nothing. They are just programmed to repeat corporate propaganda.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
I used to know one business that had Limbaugh on radio during each work day, other than that I've never known anyone else who has ever followed his radio show, even casually. (And this business was three women, no men in the front office). They listen to another news network now that the station dropped Limbaugh a few years back.

But why the partisan left focuses so much attention on him as the leader of "the right", haven't a clue why other than it's a target that makes them feel good inside over their partisan ways?