Is Potbelly the best sandwich joint out there?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

patentman

Golden Member
Apr 8, 2005
Originally posted by: Drekce
Wait until you try Firehouse subs...way better than Potbelly's or Jimmy Johns. (and I have eaten at both).

Jimmy Johns = crap

Eager to try firehouse subs... they are opening a franchise in my area soon.

Dunbar

Platinum Member
Feb 19, 2001
I never understood the praise for potbellies. They are reasonably priced but taste just OK. I like Jimmy John's but they lather up their subs with tons of mayo.

txrandom

Diamond Member
Aug 15, 2004
They are better than Subway and cheaper. Although the one in College Station raised its prices from 3.89 to 4.19.

KillerCharlie

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2005
What do you guys think about Jersey Mike's? I like their subs a lot more than Subway, but they don't have much variety.

patentman

Golden Member
Apr 8, 2005
Irrespective of my post above, while I do love potbellys my personal favorite is a true italian from Amato's. People from Maine know what I mean.

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
For a chain Potbelly makes a decent sandwich, definitely way above a "Breadway" sub or Quiznos.

CKDragon

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2001
Originally posted by: sygyzy
Originally posted by: hungfarover
I've never heard of any of these places.

And you've demonstrated one of the dumbest phenomenons on ATOT - people thinking the world revolves around their tiny city, town, province, whatever.

No, I don't think Potbelly is the best sandwich joint out there. I think Ruckus Dellio is. Oh, you've never heard of it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potbelly_Sandwich_Works

Over 100 locations in 9 states + DC seems big enough to me. At least it can't be as maddening as an East Coaster like me constantly reading about all the Fry's Hot Deals. :p

Drekce

Golden Member
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: zinfamous
Wait until you try Firehouse subs...way better than Potbelly's or Jimmy Johns. (and I have eaten at both).

where can one find this interloper that you speak of?

They are all over Orlando; and I have seen a few in other southern states. I have had better subs at the small mom and pop type places a lot of people have mentioned, but as far as chains go Firehouse is by far my favorite.

TheAdvocate

Platinum Member
Mar 7, 2005

Zinfamous, consider this a "seconded" on Firehouse. They make damn good sandwiches, though they aren't super cheap. Their meatball sub is my go to lunch in the winter.

http://www.firehousesubs.com/

Personally though, SubStation II, which I think is just local, serves up a pretty huge, tasty sub for a couple dollars less. And Harris Teeter'sdeli (local grocery chain) sells oversized (wide bread) 6" subs daily for $2.49, which is just about the cheapest lunch I can find in town. They're like Publix & a little like Hannaford's if you haven't heard of them.

Also, what do you guys think of McAlister's? They have a couple of specialty subs that I like, but they're really expensive.

My dad lives in Chicago. Think I might skip the Gino's or Lou's next time I'm up there and try one of these places.

[edit]forgot to say that Jersey Mike's is crap. Haven't ever had a good sandwich there. They serve the toughest, least edible roast beef I've ever tasted.

broon

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2002
Rupert G's Hello Deli is the best. Since I don't live in New York, I'll stick with Planet Sub.

Aztech

Golden Member
Jan 19, 2002

Don't feel bad, I don't most of these places in my small town, America either. I recently visited a Potbelly in Dulles airport though, and it was a good sandwich at a great price (especially at an Airport!). I'm not voting "best place", but I wished they had them around where I live.

How widespread is Jason's Deli. I've heard good things, I'm around them sometimes, but never tried 'em. I love Schlotzki's too, but the one in my town actually closed down! Oh well, this IS backwards ssa Slidell, Louisiana...:roll:

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: txrandom
They are better than Subway and cheaper. Although the one in College Station raised its prices from 3.89 to 4.19.

I don't think I've ever had a sandwich from any sort of food establishment that WASN'T better than Subway.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Originally posted by: zinfamous

where can one find this interloper that you speak of?

They are all over Orlando; and I have seen a few in other southern states. I have had better subs at the small mom and pop type places a lot of people have mentioned, but as far as chains go Firehouse is by far my favorite.

Oh yeah, I agree that the majority of smaller places are probably better. My favorite place back home is simply called "Hoagies," and makes some damn fine iterations of Philly-type subs. Theyr'e expensive, though

I haven't found any place yet that beats Potbelly's value.
Quizno's is utter mung, imo. Even ignoring the tendency of some of their chains not paying for (and potentialy not providing) their heating bill (a couple were cited for this in Chicago, and elswhere, I believe), I find their food to be overpriced slop.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: Aztech

Don't feel bad, I don't most of these places in my small town, America either. I recently visited a Potbelly in Dulles airport though, and it was a good sandwich at a great price (especially at an Airport!). I'm not voting "best place", but I wished they had them around where I live.

How widespread is Jason's Deli. I've heard good things, I'm around them sometimes, but never tried 'em. I love Schlotzki's too, but the one in my town actually closed down! Oh well, this IS backwards ssa Slidell, Louisiana...:roll:

schlotzsky's has been going through some rough times, though they have really good sandwiches (really bad for you too). jason's deli is kinda boring, imho. just your standard turkey/ham/pastrami/whatever sandwich.

i need to go to jersey mike's, haven't been there in years and years.

houston is apparently getting the submarina chain from california.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Originally posted by: TheAdvocate

Zinfamous, consider this a "seconded" on Firehouse. They make damn good sandwiches, though they aren't super cheap. Their meatball sub is my go to lunch in the winter.

http://www.firehousesubs.com/

Personally though, SubStation II, which I think is just local, serves up a pretty huge, tasty sub for a couple dollars less. And Harris Teeter'sdeli (local grocery chain) sells oversized (wide bread) 6" subs daily for $2.49, which is just about the cheapest lunch I can find in town. They're like Publix & a little like Hannaford's if you haven't heard of them.

Also, what do you guys think of McAlister's? They have a couple of specialty subs that I like, but they're really expensive.

My dad lives in Chicago. Think I might skip the Gino's or Lou's next time I'm up there and try one of these places.

[edit]forgot to say that Jersey Mike's is crap. Haven't ever had a good sandwich there. They serve the toughest, least edible roast beef I've ever tasted.

hot damn--they have a Firehouse in Raleigh! I'll have to remember to check it out when I visit home next month.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Reason #1923847 why connecticut sucks: Apparently none of these wonderful joints are anywhere near me.

nitsuj3580

Platinum Member
Jun 13, 2001
PotBellys is decent but not the best out there.

Here in Arlington, VA, The Italian Store has some really good sandwiches.

On a side note, has anyone ever ordered the Big Jack at PotBellys? We always joke about who would ever order a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

MiniDoom

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2004
Originally posted by: nitsuj3580
PotBellys is decent but not the best out there.

Here in Arlington, VA, The Italian Store has some really good sandwiches.

On a side note, has anyone ever ordered the Big Jack at PotBellys? We always joke about who would ever order a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

damn that looks good. if your ever out in herndon try "the deli" that's probably one of the best I've had.