Is newegg safe to buy from?

emco925

Apr 25, 2016
Hi guys I am buying $2000 worth lf stuff from newegg, is it a safe and reliable place to buy from, especially if im dropping that kind lf cash. Im in the US by the way

daveybrat

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jan 31, 2000
I would hope so. They are one of the premier tech websites to buy from for many years now. I've purchased many items from them over the last several years. If you can't trust them, then i don't know who you can.

thesmokingman

Platinum Member
May 6, 2010
They are not customer centric, so if you have problems you'll have to pick up the phone push them to do what is right, otherwise they are just as happy letting you pick up the slack. I try to buy from Amazon first, then if I must Newegg.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i also prefer amazon for their excellent returns policy, but newegg is also one of the biggest websites for pc parts.

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Newgg is great. Just be sure you're buying from Newegg direct and not a reseller from their "newegg marketplace." Like Amazon, the resellers can be shady scammers who sell fake crap or refurbs posing as new. Things to avoid from resellers: flash memory, SSDs, hard drives, laptop batteries.

AnonymouseUser

Diamond Member
May 14, 2003
Newegg's always been good to me, though their pricing isn't as good as it used to be.

Newgg is great. Just be sure you're buying from Newegg direct and not a reseller from their "newegg marketplace." Like Amazon, the resellers can be shady scammers who sell fake crap or refurbs posing as new. Things to avoid from resellers: flash memory, SSDs, hard drives, laptop batteries.

Agreed, and I usually just tick the Newegg option under the Seller tab under search so I don't make a mistake.

Burpo

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2013
Can't fault them yet, been doing business for years.. Never a late shipment & only 1 defect so far..

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
They are not customer centric, so if you have problems you'll have to pick up the phone push them to do what is right, otherwise they are just as happy letting you pick up the slack. I try to buy from Amazon first, then if I must Newegg.

I never pick up the phone for Newegg. There is live chat.

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
i also prefer amazon for their excellent returns policy, but newegg is also one of the biggest websites for pc parts.

Amazon return policy is the best but if you don't like the item or don't want it anymore you are charged return shipping (rightfully so) with Newegg, if you have Premier, you get free return shipping!

Can't beat that.

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
To the OP right now you can get 3 months of Newegg Premier for free if you download Newegg's mobile app!

Really easy to do.

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
Not as good as they used to be but reliable. I ignore the reseller's, I hate that they went that direction.

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Resellers have polluted the market for batteries and storage in a huge way. Finding a genuine new battery, for example, is hard. I did score a new battery for a new laptop actually made by Lenovo for $70 on Newegg. It costs $120 from Lenovo direct. Newegg was the seller and I'd have never bought it from some 'battery warehouse' reseller. Lo and behold it's a legit battery and was never used before I popped it in. Can't help but think the one for $39 on Amazon and Newegg is either fake or a refurb.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
As mentioned, they have some sellers that are crappy, make sure newegg is the seller and all will be well.

Looks like I've been buying from them since 2003, when building a couple of AMD Barton systems. Those were the days.

Last edited:

Gunbuster

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Buy on an Amex or similar card with extended warranty and purchase protection. With the way hardware fails it's like getting everything new in three years if you put the extended warranty zone on your calendar as a reminder.