Question Is my Seasonic Tx-850W going bad? Shutdown today once

Status
Not open for further replies.

nj78

Dec 27, 2021
Hi dear users. I have had an problem today.

My pc:
10850K stock 4800mhz stock Kraken X73 good temps
2x16 GB DDR4 GSKILL 3000mhz XMP
Seasonic Tx-850 Ultra Titanium
Gigabyte Rtx 3090 Gaming OC
Aorus Z490 Pro Gaming
1 TB SSD

I bought machine and plugged in march 2021. No single issue,no reboots,no shutdowns. I played all games for many hours,no issues. Today…i launched Metro Exodus and after cinematic part pc just shutdown. I rebooted again and its fine again.

Happened when gpu load change from 0% to 99%.

My question is. It was psu issue or maybe other hardware?

I remember that when pc goes off ,pc case lights flickered once and monitor flickered. That not happens when i shutting down manually.

i am running now game and no shutdowns. Happened today once. Also i have pc until march 2021 and thats like today never happened.

Is psu going just bad,rma or what you recommend for me. Thank you :)

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
If the PSU is going bad, you will continue to have odd crashes and shutdowns.

However, with it only happening one time, I wouldn't make that leap. You can take a look at the PSU's output voltages and see if they are performing within spec.

You can also take a look in the Windows Reliability section, and see if it lists what caused the shutdown.

I know some Seasonic power supplies had some issues with GPUs like the RTX 3090 initially where it cause the PSU to shutdown. Maybe that could have been your issue if your GPU suddenly went from 0% to 99%,

https://hardforum.com/threads/need-replacement-for-seasonic-tx-850-with-better-ocp-for-3090.2011505/

• Wow
Reactions: igor_kavinski

nj78

Dec 27, 2021
Happened once during skipping cinematic in Metro Exodus,pc just shutdown.Not able to reproduce. I dont know if that psu or maybe brownout?
But my laptop not turned off,laptop was plugged to second power cord.

So after that i run again: 3dmark port royal,3dmark wild life,time spy extreme,battlefield 5,control,metro exodus Enhanced and no shutdown again. Pc runs fine again.

So rma or stay with current psu/pc?

You said:" know some Seasonic power supplies had some issues with GPUs like the RTX 3090 initially where it cause the PSU to shutdown. Maybe that could have been your issue if your GPU suddenly went from 0% to 99%,"

But this problem occurs with only FE model cards. I dont have FE. I have Gigabyte Gaming 3090.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Many of us old timers here tend to keep an extra power supply at home for just these kind of situations. It allows us to quickly rule that issue out (without having to use a multimeter to watch the various rails when under load).

My advice? If you continue to have the shutdown issues, I'd buy a good gold or platinum rated PSU (you don't need a titanium as they are very $$$ and don't really save typical gamers that much in electricity).

A couple good choices that aren't too pricey right now would be the Super Flower Leadex III, Corsair RMx (2018 or 2021 versions), or Thermaltake ToughPower GF1.

Otherwise, you would have to test out things like your GPU and such in other computers to rule them out being the issue. Another option would be taking it to local PC repair shop, and have them test the various components to isolate what the issue is.

I'd personally take a look at the PSU first though as like I linked to above, Seasonic had some issues with their PSUs and the RTX 3000 GPUs (like your 3090 in particular) triggering the power supply's safety protections, causing it to shut down.

nj78

Dec 27, 2021
But this problem with seasonic occurs with only FE model cards. I dont have FE. I have Gigabyte Gaming 3090.2x8pin

link:"https://www.overclock.net/threads/s...-titanium-power-cycles-ocp-with-3090.1794053/

"It's not transient, not OCP, not OPP, it's not related to oneseasonic and the focus problem, it's a separate well-documented problem with the cards feeding the 12v sense line in the ATX 24-pin cable with noise, until the PSU mistakenly shuts down/restarts the pc.

Cutting the 12v line or putting a coil to insulate it solves the problem. "

Last edited:

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I haven't seen where it was only confirmed to have issues with only FE cards.

I've read various posts across a number of forums where people with several different brands of RTX 3090 cards were having issues.

From the link you gave, the poster you quoted said:
when jonnyGURU tested it a few months ago from the cards he tested he only saw problems with EVGA and Nvidia Founders Edition (but people mentioned some other popped up recently).

and lastly seems like 850w and 1000w titanium are the most problematic, and platinum is rarer.

Here's even a post on our forum where a Gigabyte RTX 3090 owner had shut down issues with his Seasonic titanium unit:
https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...-i-play-rust-ark-on-maximum-settings.3648337/

Seasonic will likely do an advanced RMA and send you the replacement unit first (with credit card) if you have one their power supplies from certain production periods that had issues. You could rule it out being the issue that way.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
So rma or stay with current psu/pc?
I guess that's up to you.

If you continue to have sudden shutdown issues when gaming, based on what I've read about the RTX 3090 cards and certain Seasonic titanium power supplies, I'd likely contact Seasonic support with your serial number and see if what you have is one of the affected units.

Like I mentioned, if it is and you provide a credit card number to be charged if you don't return the first unit, they generally will do an advance RMA so you get it first before sending back your unit back.

nj78

Dec 27, 2021
After shutdown i dont switch on/off that button on back of psu. But that doesnt matter?

I heard that if that was OCP i should do that. THank you. Sorry for my bad language.

OlyAR15

Oct 23, 2014
One thing to check is make certain that all connections are secure. If need be, unplug and replug all power connectors, just to be sure.

Hulk

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I had an issue with my Seasonic fanless where it wouldn't start sometimes. It got worse and worse over the period of about a year. I tried everything but ended up replacing it and the issue went away. Seasonics are pretty solid but they can fail.

nj78

Dec 27, 2021
lso
It's not overcurrent protection getting triggered.
That causes complete shutdown of PSU needing power cycling to clear it.
I don’t have to flip switch.

Is any difference between short power outage and turning off/on power in power cord? THanks

If that was momentary power outage why pc shutted down and not rebooted? Instead of fliping switch OFF/ON in power cord when pc shutting down and rebooting.

Thats why i asked. If that was momentary power outage why pc shutted down and not rebooted? Instead of fliping switch OFF/ON in power cord when pc shutting down and rebooting.

So propably psu? If router dont turned off and laptop dont go to battery mode <in this moment>

jonnyGURU

Moderator <BR> Power Supplies
Oct 30, 1999
lso
It's not overcurrent protection getting triggered.
That causes complete shutdown of PSU needing power cycling to clear it.
I don’t have to flip switch.

Is any difference between short power outage and turning off/on power in power cord? THanks

If that was momentary power outage why pc shutted down and not rebooted? Instead of fliping switch OFF/ON in power cord when pc shutting down and rebooting.

Thats why i asked. If that was momentary power outage why pc shutted down and not rebooted? Instead of fliping switch OFF/ON in power cord when pc shutting down and rebooting.

So propably psu? If router dont turned off and laptop dont go to battery mode <in this moment>

Because the problem is not OCP. The PSU just lets go of the power good signal and this manifests itself as a shut down. That's why you don't have to power cycle the PSU and you can turn it right back on again.

Do this: Run Prime 95 with small FFTs on all cores. While that's running, run Furmark at 1080p with anti-aliasing set to 2x MSAA. While the donut is floating around. Hit the space bar a few times to make it disappear/reappear. If you can do this for about five minutes or so, you're fine and your shut down was a fluke.

Reactions: igor_kavinski

nj78

Dec 27, 2021
Because the problem is not OCP. The PSU just lets go of the power good signal and this manifests itself as a shut down. That's why you don't have to power cycle the PSU and you can turn it right back on again.

Do this: Run Prime 95 with small FFTs on all cores. While that's running, run Furmark at 1080p with anti-aliasing set to 2x MSAA. While the donut is floating around. Hit the space bar a few times to make it disappear/reappear. If you can do this for about five minutes or so, you're fine and your shut down was a fluke.

Ok i will do this. But i tested many games and no shutdowns. Many all AAA demanding titles. Also cinebench 12 + Metro no shutdown too. So no worries then? Thanks for reply. Sorry for my bad english.

jonnyGURU

Oct 30, 1999
Ok i will do this. But i tested many games and no shutdowns. Many all AAA demanding titles. Also cinebench 12 + Metro no shutdown too.

Uh huh.....

Run Prime 95 with small FFTs on all cores. While that's running, run Furmark at 1080p with anti-aliasing set to 2x MSAA. While the donut is floating around. Hit the space bar a few times to make it disappear/reappear.

I torture test PSUs for a living. I don't care what AAA titles you're running. You want to see if the PSU is stable, do what I suggest.

nj78

Dec 27, 2021
Uh huh.....

Run Prime 95 with small FFTs on all cores. While that's running, run Furmark at 1080p with anti-aliasing set to 2x MSAA. While the donut is floating around. Hit the space bar a few times to make it disappear/reappear.

I torture test PSUs for a living. I don't care what AAA titles you're running. You want to see if the PSU is stable, do what I suggest.

So if psu will not shutdown there , then my shutdown before was because of +12noise or just fluke?

jonnyGURU

Oct 30, 1999
So if psu will not shutdown there , then my shutdown before was because of +12noise or just fluke?

No. If it DOES shut down, then it shut down because of the +12V sense noise. If it doesn't shut down, your previous shut down was just a fluke.

Reactions: BadThad

BadThad

Lifer
Feb 22, 2000
Hi dear users. I have had an problem today.

My pc:
10850K stock 4800mhz stock Kraken X73 good temps
2x16 GB DDR4 GSKILL 3000mhz XMP
Seasonic Tx-850 Ultra Titanium
Gigabyte Rtx 3090 Gaming OC
Aorus Z490 Pro Gaming
1 TB SSD

I bought machine and plugged in march 2021. No single issue,no reboots,no shutdowns. I played all games for many hours,no issues. Today…i launched Metro Exodus and after cinematic part pc just shutdown. I rebooted again and its fine again.

Happened when gpu load change from 0% to 99%.

My question is. It was psu issue or maybe other hardware?

I remember that when pc goes off ,pc case lights flickered once and monitor flickered. That not happens when i shutting down manually.

i am running now game and no shutdowns. Happened today once. Also i have pc until march 2021 and thats like today never happened.

Is psu going just bad,rma or what you recommend for me. Thank you :)

I have to express my frustration with the exact same power supply and nearly identical setup except I have an RX6800 and a Z590 board. A simple setup with no overclocking and Intel power limits enforced (not using Asus settings). I built this PC around Apr 2021 with all new components, got done, and it wouldn't post. After testing everything, it turned out to be the TX-850. I've been building PC's over 35 years and hadn't seen a no post in almost 10 years! Decided put the TX-850 back in because I couldn't believe I had a bad Seasonic and it posted!

Got windows and everything setup and after about 2 weeks the power supply clicked and shut off doing nothing more than web browsing. The ONLY way to get it working again was to flip the switch, pull the cord and let it discharge a few seconds (mobo lights off). After that, the computer would run normally for a random amount of time from days to weeks then I'd have to repeat this exercise.

THIS WENT ON FOR ~6 MONTHS (didn't have time to deal with it), completely random and usually NOT while gaming. I threw in the towel and got Microcenter to exchange my PS for the same one. Put the new one in and it POSTED right off and has been fine for 2 months now - until yesterday. I was gaming last night and it happened again - click, shut off. There is NOTHING in event logs, it happens too quickly for windows to log $^%#. IMO, there is some odd issue with these power supplies. A google search led me here!

I'm about to toss this over-priced POS Seasonic in the bin. I cringed spending almost $300 on PS but I wanted the best. I've used many of their supplies in the past and they have been excellent. That's why I stuck with them for my latest build. However, seeing all the strange issues with a simple search makes be believe they have missed the mark on their new supplies. There is a faulty component somewhere in the design.

Last edited:

BadThad

Lifer
Feb 22, 2000
Many of us old timers here tend to keep an extra power supply at home for just these kind of situations. It allows us to quickly rule that issue out (without having to use a multimeter to watch the various rails when under load).

My advice? If you continue to have the shutdown issues, I'd buy a good gold or platinum rated PSU (you don't need a titanium as they are very $$$ and don't really save typical gamers that much in electricity).

A couple good choices that aren't too pricey right now would be the Super Flower Leadex III, Corsair RMx (2018 or 2021 versions), or Thermaltake ToughPower GF1.

Otherwise, you would have to test out things like your GPU and such in other computers to rule them out being the issue. Another option would be taking it to local PC repair shop, and have them test the various components to isolate what the issue is.

I'd personally take a look at the PSU first though as like I linked to above, Seasonic had some issues with their PSUs and the RTX 3000 GPUs (like your 3090 in particular) triggering the power supply's safety protections, causing it to shut down.

Thank you for those PS recommendations. Are any of those brands rebranded Seasonic? I think I'm going to try something different this time. 850W is more than enough for my system (10850 on Z590 (Intel default clock/voltage), RX6800).

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Thank you for those PS recommendations. Are any of those brands rebranded Seasonic? I think I'm going to try something different this time. 850W is more than enough for my system (10850 on Z590 (Intel default clock/voltage), RX6800).
None of the models in what you quoted from me are Seasonic made units.

Channel Well (CWT) makes the Corsair RMx and Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 units, Super Flower produces their own Leadex III series units.

Reactions: BadThad

nj78

Dec 27, 2021
I have to express my frustration with the exact same power supply and nearly identical setup except I have an RX6800 and a Z590 board. A simple setup with no overclocking and Intel power limits enforced (not using Asus settings). I built this PC around Apr 2021 with all new components, got done, and it wouldn't post. After testing everything, it turned out to be the TX-850. I've been building PC's over 35 years and hadn't seen a no post in almost 10 years! Decided put the TX-850 back in because I couldn't believe I had a bad Seasonic and it posted!

Got windows and everything setup and after about 2 weeks the power supply clicked and shut off doing nothing more than web browsing. The ONLY way to get it working again was to flip the switch, pull the cord and let it discharge a few seconds (mobo lights off). After that, the computer would run normally for a random amount of time from days to weeks then I'd have to repeat this exercise.

THIS WENT ON FOR ~6 MONTHS (didn't have time to deal with it), completely random and usually NOT while gaming. I threw in the towel and got Microcenter to exchange my PS for the same one. Put the new one in and it POSTED right off and has been fine for 2 months now - until yesterday. I was gaming last night and it happened again - click, shut off. There is NOTHING in event logs, it happens too quickly for windows to log $^%#. IMO, there is some odd issue with these power supplies. A google search led me here!

I'm about to toss this over-priced POS Seasonic in the bin. I cringed spending almost $300 on PS but I wanted the best. I've used many of their supplies in the past and they have been excellent. That's why I stuck with them for my latest build. However, seeing all the strange issues with a simple search makes be believe they have missed the mark on their new supplies. There is a faulty component somewhere in the design.

So rma my psu?

nj78

Dec 27, 2021
Did anyone say that? Are you trolling us now?
No no no trolling:) Hello johny guru.

But that friend above say that:"I have to express my frustration with the exact same power supply and nearly identical setup except I have an RX6800 and a Z590 board. A simple setup with no overclocking and Intel power limits enforced (not using Asus settings). I built this PC around Apr 2021 with all new components, got done, and it wouldn't post. After testing everything, it turned out to be the TX-850. I've been building PC's over 35 years and hadn't seen a no post in almost 10 years! Decided put the TX-850 back in because I couldn't believe I had a bad Seasonic and it posted!

seasonic tx-850 titanium randomly shuts off - Google Search

I'm about to toss this over-priced POS Seasonic in the bin. I cringed spending almost $300 on PS but I wanted the best. I've used many of their supplies in the past and they have been excellent. That's why I stuck with them for my latest build. However, seeing all the strange issues with a simple search makes be believe they have missed the mark on their new supplies. There is a faulty component somewhere in the design."

Status
Not open for further replies.