Question Is my motherboard dead?

SleepyDevil

Dec 16, 2020
So, I haven't been on my computer for 1-2 days and when I tried to turn it on last night, little sparks and smoke came out from my motherboard near my ram slots. I pull out the power plug right away and have left it sitting all night and my room no longer smells like a burning house. I can't see any form of burn marks on my motherboard but I can see some on the ram that was closest to the sparks (I can't remember how many times it sparked exactly but it was around 5-8 times before I was able to pull the power out). I'm wondering if my motherboard is dead or not and also what happened for it to spark and smoke.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
So, I haven't been on my computer for 1-2 days and when I tried to turn it on last night, little sparks and smoke came out from my motherboard near my ram slots.
I'd assume that it is likely dead. I'd advise not trying to work on it yourself at this point, and take it to a local PC repair shop and let them inspect it.

Maybe they can save your data from your hard drive. Not that it really matters since "sparks and smoke" came out of your PC, but is this an old PC?

Last edited: