Is Make America Great Again is racist?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
You just better hope you are not on one of those bridges that decides to collapse. Sooner or later you have to fix them. Look how long it took before the Tappan Zee Bridge in NYS was finally rebuilt. It's time had come. Too old to properly maintain and it could not handle the high traffic volume. Another area that needs updates is the Air Traffic Control System (both the equipment the controllers use and the radar equipment)
GOP Congress could pass the Infrastructure bill that Obama has been asking them to pass for years to fix those things before the collapse. They just don't believe the government should be repairing infrastructure.

MajinCry

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2015
When exactly did America stop being great and why?

(Yes the country has issues but it's a much better place to live than the vast majority of the countries on the planet.)

Check out the Native American dudes. Those guys are livin' in the 3rd world, and boy do they get shat on.

But eh, not exactly what Trump's appealin' to when he parrots that line frae a dead horse.

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
You have your opinion, and while some costs can be cut, the size of the military is what needs to be built up a little more. We currently have a decent number of carriers, Aegis class destroyers and plenty of aircraft. Most of our weapon systems are well designed and do what they should. Same for our submarine force, well designed and doing a good job.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
You have your opinion, and while some costs can be cut, the size of the military is what needs to be built up a little more. We currently have a decent number of carriers, Aegis class destroyers and plenty of aircraft. Most of our weapon systems are well designed and do what they should. Same for our submarine force, well designed and doing a good job.

The military is not hurting for money.

Reactions: ladyjd

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Check out the Native American dudes. Those guys are livin' in the 3rd world, and boy do they get shat on.

But eh, not exactly what Trump's appealin' to when he parrots that line frae a dead horse.

Generally speaking I agree with you about the condition of reservations.

Knowing

Golden Member
Mar 18, 2014
GOP can pass an infrastructure bill at any time, Obama has been waiting for it. But they think infrastructure spending is "porkulus."
The House version of the ARRA would have spent almost 50% more on infrastructure than the Senate version, as well as more on education and unemployment.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
The House version of the ARRA would have spent almost 50% more on infrastructure than the Senate version, as well as more on education and unemployment.
Where is it? GOP runs both House and Senate. They haven't passed infrastructure bill to fix these problems. Maybe they can't govern.

Reactions: MongGrel

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
Bill Clinton says the slogan "Make America Great Again" is Racist? He has used this same exact slogan numerous time. What a tool!

http://www.hannity.com/articles/election-493995/watch-bill-clinton-says-make-america-15092967/

Bill Clinton is accusing Donald Trump of veiled racism in his use of the "Make America Great Again" slogan but there's just one problem: Clinton himself frequently used the slogan himself on in previous campaigns.

"That message, I’ll give you America great again — If you're a white southerner, you know exactly what it means," Clinton told a crowd in Orlando, Florida this week. "What it means is I'll give you the economy you had 50 years ago and I’ll move you back up the social totem pole and other people down."

Clinton himself has used the slogan "make America great again" on numerous occasions in the past, including in 2008 when he used it in support of Hillary's presidential campaign. According to his own logic, wouldn't this make Bill a crypto-racist?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzy306xqHmc

If Bernie had said it.. I'd take it at face value.

But a guy who runs on stopping immigration in any form (my spouse is a legal immigrant), who tells people they should be violent, who tells people that the best POTUS in my lifetime is lower than Putin who would have me executed for kissing a member of the own sex.. I'd say that's pretty much dog whistle politics.

You may like lower taxes to make America Great again but you're gonna get a whole lot of what you don't want along with it.

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
"That message, I’ll give you America great again — If you're a white southerner, you know exactly what it means," Clinton told a crowd in Orlando, Florida this week. "What it means is I'll give you the economy you had 50 years ago and I’ll move you back up the social totem pole and other people down."

Wait, so now we're being honest and admitting that the strength of blue-collar jobs in the 1960s was in large part a product of less competition in labor?

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Wait, so now we're being honest and admitting that the strength of blue-collar jobs in the 1960s was in large part a product of less competition in labor?

Yes, but its OK because Democrats dont understand economics, so they dont know how stupid they are.

leper84

Dec 29, 2011
If Bernie had said it.. I'd take it at face value.

But a guy who runs on stopping immigration in any form (my spouse is a legal immigrant), who tells people they should be violent, who tells people that the best POTUS in my lifetime is lower than Putin who would have me executed for kissing a member of the own sex.. I'd say that's pretty much dog whistle politics.

You may like lower taxes to make America Great again but you're gonna get a whole lot of what you don't want along with it.

Where at any point has Trump said he would stop immigration in any form? I've heard him speak about illegal immigration. I've heard him speak about freezing immigration from areas with radical islam. So you got a source for that?

When the hell has Trump ever even slightly indicated he has any slight problem against gays, much less the bat-shit-crazy notion he would execute gays? Is this just something you 'know', or can you back up the insane statements you're making?

Really, to be fair Trump is no fan of radical islam. You know, the people who throw gays off of buildings?

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
Where at any point has Trump said he would stop immigration in any form? I've heard him speak about illegal immigration. I've heard him speak about freezing immigration from areas with radical islam. So you got a source for that?

When the hell has Trump ever even slightly indicated he has any slight problem against gays, much less the bat-shit-crazy notion he would execute gays? Is this just something you 'know', or can you back up the insane statements you're making?

Really, to be fair Trump is no fan of radical islam. You know, the people who throw gays off of buildings?

Go listen to his speech in AZ after he came back from Mexico and how he'd affect immigration.. hint changing from family base...

And what makes you think I'll vote for the side that is anti lgbt, and wants all these bathroom bills and freedom of religion stuff to deny same sex couples equal rights.

That's right TRUMP is the nominee/ champion of the anti-equal rights movement.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2009

**I believe** this had some kind of poison pill attached, more funding but then massive cuts in Planned Parenthood or something to undermine ACA, I can't remember.

Knowing

Golden Member
Mar 18, 2014
**I believe** this had some kind of poison pill attached, more funding but then massive cuts in Planned Parenthood or something to undermine ACA, I can't remember.
That's entirely plausible, likely even. IMHO, the ARRA should have been the infrastructure bill they've been after. At least then it would have provided a more general benefit instead of being rife with pork.

Feb 16, 2005

Go listen to his speech in AZ after he came back from Mexico and how he'd affect immigration.. hint changing from family base...

And what makes you think I'll vote for the side that is anti lgbt, and wants all these bathroom bills and freedom of religion stuff to deny same sex couples equal rights.

That's right TRUMP is the nominee/ champion of the anti-equal rights movement.

Here's what drumpf said about same sex marriage and other similar issues
Marriage: Trump has been a consistent opponent of marriage equality. He said that he opposed it because he was a “traditional” guy, choosing to support domestic partnership benefits instead. Trump later reversed himself and said he also opposed civil unions. Despite a brief flirtation with “evolving” in 2013, Trump has consistently maintained his opposition to marriage equality, sometimes by citing polling and making an analogy to his dislike of long golf putters. After the Supreme Court ruling, Trump said the court had made its decision and, although he disagreed with the ruling, he did not support a constitutional amendment that would allow states to re-ban marriage equality. He later said he would appoint Supreme Court judges who would be committed to overturning the ruling.

Discrimination: While Trump at one time said that federal law should protect people from discrimination based on sexual orientation, he has taken aggressively anti-equality positions as a formal candidate. Trump has expressed support for the so-called First Amendment Defense Act (FADA) which would lead to more Kim Davis-style discrimination. He has declined to support the Equality Act.

Transgender Equality: Trump has expressed support for North Carolina’s HB2, he’s said he would rescind the Obama Administration’s guidance that transgender students be treated wtih dignity and allowed to use restrooms that match their gender identity, and when it comes to governors like Pat McCrory that write discrimination into state law, Trump has made it clear he would not enforce federal civil rights laws ensure transgender Americans are treated equally under the law.

Executive Order: Trump has said that he disagrees with President Obama’s use of executive orders, but has shown willingness to use them himself.

Conversion Therapy: Unclear

Adoption: Unclear

Anti-Bullying: Unclear

Harmful Rhetoric: Trump has hired two operatives with a history of anti-equality rhetoric to leads his campaign. Prior to becoming a candidate, Trump said that Pat Buchanan’s anti-LGBTQ rhetoric was disgusting, and he said that LGBTQ groups were glad he was hosting the Miss Universe pageant in Russia to challenge the status quo. But he launched ad hominem attacks on Ariana Huffington and Bette Midler, and he defended a CEO who resigned after opposing Proposition 8 and an NFL player who criticized Michael Sam.
does that clear up his stance on gay rights? doesn't sound very pro-gay or even live and let live, but a bit more antagonistic towards the gay community, but here I go using drumpf's words against him, what kind of evil, malicious bastard am I?
http://www.hrc.org/2016RepublicanFacts/donald-trump-opposes-nationwide-marriage-equality

Last edited:
Reactions: Indus

master_shake_

Diamond Member
May 22, 2012
GOP Congress could pass the Infrastructure bill that Obama has been asking them to pass for years to fix those things before the collapse. They just don't believe the government should be repairing infrastructure.

well the government isn't fixing it.

they hire contrators who bid on it to fix it then pay them

Feb 16, 2005
Thank you Sheik Yerbouti.
thanks, I lost my best friend this past year to cancer, we've been friends since we toddlers. He was nervous to tell me he was gay, scared I was going to shun him. Nope, just hugged him and told him I love him and I always will no matter what.
I really miss him. So anything I can do to stand up for gay rights I do it not only because it's the right thing to do, but to also do it for him.

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
thanks, I lost my best friend this past year to cancer, we've been friends since we toddlers. He was nervous to tell me he was gay, scared I was going to shun him. Nope, just hugged him and told him I love him and I always will no matter what.
I really miss him. So anything I can do to stand up for gay rights I do it not only because it's the right thing to do, but to also do it for him.

Sorry to hear about your friend. :(

Glad he had a great friend such as you though! It's actually quite rare.

leper84

Dec 29, 2011
Here's what drumpf said about same sex marriage and other similar issues

does that clear up his stance on gay rights? doesn't sound very pro-gay or even live and let live, but a bit more antagonistic towards the gay community, but here I go using drumpf's words against him, what kind of evil, malicious bastard am I?
http://www.hrc.org/2016RepublicanFacts/donald-trump-opposes-nationwide-marriage-equality

And your source is Hillary's website? Riiiiiiiigggghhhhttt.

Lets try another source-

New York Times: "Donald Trump’s More Accepting Views on Gay Issues Set Him Apart in G.O.P."
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/23/us/politics/donald-trump-gay-rights.html

But it is his views on gay rights and gay people that most distinguish Mr. Trump from previous Republican standard-bearers. He has nurtured long friendships with gay people, employed gay workers in prominent positions, and moved with ease in industries where gays have long exerted influence, like entertainment.

“He will be the most gay-friendly Republican nominee for president ever,” said Gregory T. Angelo, the president of the Log Cabin Republicans, a group that supports gay rights.

Of course, Mr. Trump is not as embracing of gay rights as the Democratic candidates are; he said during this campaign that he believes that marriage is between a man and a woman, a position he has held since at least 2000, when he briefly flirted with a bid for the presidency. But he does not emphasize marriage as an issue, and he makes no mention of it, for example, on his campaign website, which focuses on issues like immigration and trade.

And Mr. Trump, who has inflamed tensions with almost every group, from Hispanics to women to African-Americans, has avoided attacking or offending gay men and lesbians during the campaign.

His history with the gay community is a long one. He donated to charities focused on the AIDS crisis in the late 1980s and early ’90s. In 2000, when he briefly considered running for president, he gave an interview to The Advocate, a gay magazine, in which he supported amending the 1964 Civil Rights Act to “include a ban of discrimination based on sexual orientation.”

“It would be simple. It would be straightforward,” Mr. Trump said in the interview, adding, “It’s only fair.”

Sixteen years later, gay rights advocates are still trying to persuade Congress to pass a similar measure, but they have struggled to win support, especially from Republicans. The last Republican nominee, Mitt Romney, opposed similar legislation in 2012.

Man, what a gay hater huh? Oh wait, sorry, that's Hillary

The Atlantic: "Hillary Clinton's Gay Marriage Problem"
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2014/06/hillary-clintons-gay-marriage-problem/372717/

. The admission is easily the most significant in the interview with the former senator, secretary of State, and presidential candidate, though much of the subsequent media attention has focused on the perception that there was a "heated exchange" where Clinton "lashed out" at her interviewer.* The mild tension stemmed from persistent questioning as Clinton obfuscated on an issue that could damage her chances in a 2016 primary but is relatively unlikely to hurt her in a contest against a Republican, given that her coalition is so much stronger on gay rights than the opposition.

In a primary, Clinton could be forced to explain a longtime position that a significant part of that Democratic political coalition now views as suspect or even bigoted. Most famously, the Silicon Valley left forced the ouster of Mozilla CEO Brendan Eich for a 2008 donation he made to an anti-gay-marriage ballot initiative. That same year, Clinton ran for president while openly opposing gay marriage. If she is to be believed, she also opposed gay marriage as recently as 2013, long after a majority of Americans already held a more gay-friendly position. Would the subset of Democrats who thought 2008 opposition to gay marriage should prevent a man from becoming CEO in 2013 really support the 2015 presidential campaign of a woman who openly opposed gay marriage until last year?
[/URL]
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2014/06/hillary-clintons-gay-marriage-problem/372717/
But... but... but Drumpf?