Is Larry Ellison a crack addict or what?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

billandopus

Platinum Member
Dec 29, 1999
Hey, I can understand why I should take a chill pill. It was quite a rant.

However, after hanging around these boards for some time it just comes to a point where the bandwagon jumpers really start to get to you. The comments, the useless and usually thoughtless chatter. All style and no substance.

While mindless chatter and jesting has it's place so does insightful, thoughtful, mature commentary has it's own place as well. Something which is lacking on this board most of the time. Hey, I like this board but the scenery sometimes leaves alot to be desired.

It's like having to walk through skid row to get to the beach. After
awhile you're wishing you had a car. Know what I mean?

DABANSHEE

Banned
Dec 8, 1999
I wouldn't say he's single minded about bringing ole bill down. He spends quite a bit of time yacht racing, & about 18 months ago while leading the Sydney to Hobart Yacht race, got cought in a gale that forced about 50 yachts out of the race. Most of them limped into Bega harbour with broken masts, &/or had been tossed over, etc, but 3 yachts were never seen again, & one was lost with all hands. When Larry's yacht limped into the Derwant river he was reported to be looking a bit on the green side, but he still managed to knock back a bottle of Bollinger with his crew, for the TV cameras - & I bet MS & Bill gates was the furthest thing from mind when he was in the middle of that gale.

The thing the pisses me off about both Ellison and Scott McNealy of Sun is that if you happen to catch one of their keynote speechs, you hear more about Microsoft than their respective companies.

&quot;We are going to knock Microsoft on their ass with <vaporware> 1.0!!!>

PCAddict

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 1999
Russ: Well-said. I am not an &quot;AnandTech teenager either&quot;

DABANSHEE: You made a good point, and did so eloquently. I somewhat agree, but not competely. However, I definitely follow your logic.

bill_n_opus: That was probably the most arrogant and pompous response I have ever read on these forums. I hope it wasn't meant to come across that way. While reading, I was having flashbacks of those Grey Poupon commercials with the stuffed shirt sitting in the backseat of the Rolls Royce. You know the ones that I mean. The guy's face always looks like he is smelling something bad. Are you trying to tell us that you feel like you are &quot;slumming&quot; when you visit here? If that is the case, maybe you're in the wrong place. DId you really need to throw out a blanket insult to the participants of this forum? I'm not trying to flame you, but man, you really need to lighten up.

Red Dawn: I think you nailed it. Ellison is obsessed because he hasn't achieved the &quot;cult hero&quot; status that Bill Gates and Steve Jobs seem to have.

billandopus

Platinum Member
Dec 29, 1999
Nah, PCAddict, no offense taken.

I think I need a break from this place. It's getting hard to sift through the junk to get some nuggets of gold. My kettle boiled over and I blew. It was as simple as that. I think that I need to be more ... discriminate with what I read around here.

I wasn't trying to sound elitist but I like to think that I use my brain before I speak except for possibly the abovementioned rant. I did not mean to create a blanket statement covering all the forum members but I think it did encompass at least a fair minority. I don't agree with the comparision with the Grey Poupon commercial because it is not fitting - if you judge the air and character of my past posts in this forum - but rather a superflous reaction to my textual lashing which is fair enough. Everyone is entitled to have their own opinions. I respect that as it also works both ways.

I like to think of my response akin to a JonnyGuru rant. He rants about his customers and i'm ranting about the things that corrupt this forum that many of the forum members seem to so easily tolerate or ignore. I'm from the camp that complicity is derived from an implicit or explicit action. I don't have the luxury of being able to shut this off indefinitely. If my rant sounded at all elitist then I'd like to think that it did so because the rant touched a nerve.

Honestly though, think of it this way. This board attracts members due to one commonality. Computers and technology. However, if you were to cohabit with even a thousand Anandtech members on an island it would be quite a diverse group demographically, racially. culturally, and chronologically. You can't say that it would not cause the more mature, older members to slowly begin to pull out the rest of their hair after awhile right? That's just the way it is. Just because members sit at their boxes anonymously participating on Anandtech does not dissolve them of their manners, for lack of a better term, in my opinion. Conversely, I fully understand and endorse people's right to express themselves even if I don't like it. I'm just a person who happened to blow their top, whether rightly or wrongly.

All in all one rant in almost a year and a half ain't that bad. :)

PCAddict

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 1999
It's all good, bill. :) I understand where you are coming from. Sorry about the Grey Poupon thing, but truthfully, that is what popped into my head. I do appreciate your responses. This would have been a boring thread without them. And, we are all entitled to our rants. I hope it helped.

Also, had your responses touched a nerve, you'd definitely know it. :)