Is it wrong to racial profile in this situation?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

AbsolutDealage

Platinum Member
Dec 20, 2002
Originally posted by: Mwilding
or when pickups flying the confederate flag aren't driven exclusively by white folk from the South

That's not really applicable to your argument.

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: AbsolutDealage
Originally posted by: Mwilding
or when pickups flying the confederate flag aren't driven exclusively by white folk from the South

That's not really applicable to your argument.

You can make all sorts of accurate predictions centered around race. It's not hard to do, and it is not something "bad".

A 60 year old white woman is probably not going to hijack your plane.
A 17 black kid driving through Newark in a $70,000 cat at 70mph probably just stole the car.
An empty pick-up with a Southern Cross in the rear window sits outside a store with two people in it. One guy is black and the other is white. Whose truck is it?
One white guy drives up to your house in a pick-up with 5 mexicans in the back. Guess which guy owns the landscaping company?

Racism is real and it is not always a bad thing. Of course, it can be a HORRIBLE thing. Saying that any racist thought is bad or evil just trivializes it.

Good racism: putting extra pepperoni pies in the oven
Bad racism: not hiring qualified personel because they have a certain skin color

Abel007

Platinum Member
Jun 12, 2001
You are meeting their demands. If a large mixed group walked in once a week and you noticed they all ate one type of pizza more you'd cook more when you saw that group walk in. I'd hope if I came to your establishment and you saw that I ate a certain type of pizza more than another you'd be so kind as to make sure that topping is available to me at all times. Sounds like you're doing your job far above what the pizza joins around here do. :thumbsup: for you.

AMCRambler

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2001
This isn't racial profiling. It's supply and demand. I got a buddy who works at price chopper and every January there's some holiday where all the african people come in and buy butt loads of black eyed peas and collard greens. As a result, extra pallets of those are kept on a hand at that time of the year.
Race doesn't even have to enter into this. You're running the buffet, you see a lot of people eating the pepperoni pizzas, you make more pepperoni. Simple as that.

Dacalo

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2000
Originally posted by: Syringer
So when Korean people come do you put the dog pizza in the oven, and when blacks come do you put the fried chicken pizza in the oven, racist! :|

Dogs are not part of regular Korean diet. In fact, it's illegal in Korea.

Work on updating and concluding your threads, not trying to make intelligent comments.

mrkun

Platinum Member
Jul 17, 2005
Originally posted by: DAGTA
Is what you are doing harming anyone? No
Is what you are doing helping provide better customer experience? Yes
Is what you are doing helping the business succeed? Yes

I see no problem with it. Some people just hate to face truth and hide behind the PC badge.

FTW

burntfish

Jun 28, 2006
its more like acting from past experiences. kinda like seeing the same guy coming in and ordering the nothing but tuna sandwich. the next time he comes in you'll probably have the tuna sandwich ready.

DaShen

Lifer
Dec 1, 2000
Originally posted by: txrandom
It's legit.

Yup. It shouldn't be taken to extremes but different cultures like different things. If I wasn't born in the Asian culture, I probably would hate Bitter Melon, but since I am part of the culture, I love that stuff.

/thread

RadiclDreamer

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2004
Who cares, if it works and it doesnt hurt anyone then there isnt anything wrong with it. For those of you saying its wrong, piss of and get a life for christs sake

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
I don't really like pepperoni... give me the sausage.

Yes, I did.

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
no, you are actually using good business tactics. Adjusting your builds to the different people that enter your restaurant is very efficient. The food does not get cold and thrown away. You should be promoted to a management position.

zanieladie

Diamond Member
Jan 19, 2003
Originally posted by: Tiamat
no, you are actually using good business tactics. Adjusting your builds to the different people that enter your restaurant is very efficient. The food does not get cold and thrown away. You should be promoted to a management position.

:thumbsup:

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: BlancoNino
So at work I have to run a pizza buffet. We try to keep a pep, hawaiian, 2-toping, specialty, veggie on the buffet at all times...Well...it's very well known among the employees here that hispanics highly prefer to eat mainly plain pepperoni pizza off of the buffet...whereas the other races seem to prefer a variety. So whenever some hispanics come in (especially a large group) and order the buffet...I immediatley throw a couple pepperoni's in the oven to get them cooking. This always seems to work out just fine...as they get eaten.

If you're against racial profiling...then you are also against what I'm doing.

By definition I guess this isn't technically racial profiling...but it is the same thing only you're assuming that the targeted race is guilty of practicing something else instead of crime.

For the record, the reason I am asking this is because I've had people at work tell me I'm a racist for immediatley putting pepperoni pizzas in the oven as soon as I see a group of about 10 hispanics ordering the buffet.

No, that is good business sense. Knowing your customers and what they like is not racial profiling. Whoever said that you are racist for this is a blithering idiot.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: Syringer
So when Korean people come do you put the dog pizza in the oven, and when blacks come do you put the fried chicken pizza in the oven, racist! :|

Dog pizza!!! :laugh:MFAO!!!

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
OK. Just to clue everyone in, he knows it a good business practice. He's trolling. Please get back to the racially charged topic and stop using logic, this is ATOT.
:roll:

S

SlitheryDee

You should never make any assumptions about people based on their ethnicity. I don't care what color they are you should treat everyone just like you would a respectable white person.

That was a joke. :thumbsup:

bdww00

Banned
Sep 6, 2005
maybe they just ate pizza to eat pizza?
maybe if u just put out cheese pizzas theyed eat the cheese pizzas?

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
Whenever a group of blacks come into the restraunt I work at we make sure that we are stocked up on Raspberry Lemonade. 90% of all black people will order raspberry lemonade, and I have never sold a raspberry lemonade to a non black. I dunno, just a weird fact of life.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
you asked this like you think racial profiling is a bad thing...

Much of America thinks it works...not always accurately, but it works...;)