Is it ok to NOT like Israel but be ok with Jewish people

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
I hate Israel and all that is stands for.. but I don't have a problem with Jewish people

Does that still make me some sort of anti-semite

AshPhoenix

Mar 12, 2008
I don't think you can call Natori karta anti-semites.

I believe Israel was founded by and still practices terrorism and genocide, but I have no problem with Jewish people.

TheSkinsFan

Golden Member
May 15, 2009
You are certainly entitled to your opinion, and I may even agree that the concept of creating a Jewish state was a very bad idea from the start.

Then again, I also despise Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, Iran, Syria, Sudan, and several other religious states throughout the world wherein oppression and violence rule the day.

Know this though: In Israel, the land, and most of the people, are beautiful.

It's a great place to party too. :D

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
OP: I agree with your sentiment 100%. The Jewish lobby has done a damn good job trying to create the impression that any disagreement with Israel or it's policies can only mean antisemitism. The notion that one can oppose an Israeli policy or action without it having anything to do with the Jewish religion or antisemitism has been effectively squelched. Many people go with the GWB mentality of "you're either with us, or you're against us" mentality, you either agree with everything Israel does, or you must be antisemitic.

Granted, if I lived in a region surrounded by fanatic religious nuts bent on my destruction, I'd probably be a little paranoid as well... but that doesn't mean we should overlook Israel's role in creating problems and injustice either.

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001
Originally posted by: dahunan
I hate Israel and all that is stands for.. but I don't have a problem with Jewish people

Really? It's one of the few democracies in that region.

More likely, it just makes you dumb. Israel is hardly perfect (then again, no nation is), but judged in the context of its neighbors, it's hardly worse than any of them. Personally, I'm ambivalent on Israel - much to admire, much to loathe as well. But hey, jump on the 'hate Israel' bandwagon if you must.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: Freshgeardude
destroying the existence of Israel is hating the Jewish people.

There is no such thing as Jewish people. There are only people. One group of closely related small tribes and families have somebody see a bush catch fire and suddenly God says this land is your land, this land is mine and you are chosen, and all of a sudden you have a people with property rights. Jew is just a property deed and excuse to womp on your neighbor. It's like the special Olympics where Jews are special. We are all Jews or nobody is because there is only one human race and it's no fair saying your special, get off my planet, because the very same thing will come around to you if you do.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
To put a religious perspective on it, it is okay to hate what people do as long as you don't hate the person themselves. So hate away at Israel and not the Jewish people themselves :)

QuantumPion

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005

Yes, it does.

What Israel stands for is a place for Jews to exist without having to deal with persecution and anti-semitism rampant in the rest of the world.

So no, you can't claim you hate Israel but not Jews. You can disagree with decisions the government makes, or criticize their politics, or whatever. But by simply "hating Israel and all that it stands for", you are quite clearly an anti-semite. Sorry buddy.

tk149

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2002
I know firsthand that many Chinese hate the U.S. government but like the American people. Does that make them anti-American?

Heck, *I* hate our government sometimes.

ahurtt

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001

I don't see how that's a problem. There are plenty of people who say "I hate America but the people are OK. I just hate their government policies."

imported_inspire

Jun 29, 2006
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
Originally posted by: Freshgeardude
destroying the existence of Israel is hating the Jewish people.

There is no such thing as Jewish people. There are only people. One group of closely related small tribes and families have somebody see a bush catch fire and suddenly God says this land is your land, this land is mine and you are chosen, and all of a sudden you have a people with property rights. Jew is just a property deed and excuse to womp on your neighbor. It's like the special Olympics where Jews are special. We are all Jews or nobody is because there is only one human race and it's no fair saying your special, get off my planet, because the very same thing will come around to you if you do.

Fair or not, it's how they're identified.

QuantumPion

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
Originally posted by: canadageek
being Anti-Zionist does not an Anti-Semite make!

Pretty much yes, it does. There are some people that have legitimate criticisms of Israel, but no one here falls into that category. You just use Israel as an excuse to rant against Jews.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Originally posted by: ZeGermans
Originally posted by: Mursilis
Really? It's one of the few democracies in that region.

Which is why arab parties were banned
And the Communist party here in the democratic USA.

Oct 30, 2004

Would that be like me saying, "I hate the notion of having a Palestinian state and all that it stands for but I don't have a problem with the Palestinian people?"

Oct 30, 2004
Originally posted by: TheSkinsFanKnow this though: In Israel, the land, and most of the people, are beautiful.

...and the women aren't subjugated and treated like chattel as they are in the Arab nations.

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
Nope not at all. I have nothing against people of Jewish faith because they are Jewish. That would be like me having bias against a Chritian, Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist on the basis on those beliefs.

But if there is oppression, I will point at the oppressor (in this case: the Israeli Govt) and denounce them. If the Palestinians were all Christian my reaction or response wouldn't change.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
According to the right, if you don't like Israel, you're basically hitler.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Originally posted by: QuantumPion
Originally posted by: canadageek
being Anti-Zionist does not an Anti-Semite make!

Pretty much yes, it does. There are some people that have legitimate criticisms of Israel, but no one here falls into that category. You just use Israel as an excuse to rant against Jews.

http://www.nkusa.org/

Tell that to these jews, who happen to be very much against the existence of the state of israel.

Neturei Karta oppose the so-called "State of Israel" not because it operates secularly, but because the entire concept of a sovereign Jewish state is contrary to Jewish Law.

All the great rabbis who in accordance with Jewish Law opposed Zionism at its inception did not do so merely due to consideration of the secular lifestyles of the then Zionist leaders or even for their opposition to Torah heritage and rejection of its values and practices, but due to the fact that the entire concept of a Jewish state is in direct conflict with a number of Judaism's fundamentals.

Condemnation of and segregation from anything connected to or affiliated with the so-called modern day "State of Israel" is based on the Talmud, the key fundamental doctrine of the Oral Tradition handed down by G-d to Moses on Mt. Sinai. The Talmud in Tractate Kesubos (p. 111a), teaches that Jews shall not use human force to bring about the establishment of a Jewish state before the coming of the universally accepted Moshiach (Messiah from the House of David). Furthermore it states that we are forbidden to rebel against the nations and that we should remain loyal citizens and we shall not attempt to leave the exile which G-d sent us into, ahead of time.

TheSkinsFan

Golden Member
May 15, 2009
Originally posted by: WhipperSnapper
Originally posted by: TheSkinsFanKnow this though: In Israel, the land, and most of the people, are beautiful.

...and the women aren't subjugated and treated like chattel as they are in the Arab nations.

Actually, many of the men there treat their women like total shit, but only in the ways that men in other Western places might dog on women -- cheating on, yelling at, etc. -- which may be one of the main reasons that I, as an American, was "popular" and had so much fun when I was there.

Let's just say that I thoroughly enjoyed all of the wonderful things the land and people there had to offer! ;)