Is it finally time to make English the official language of America?

English the official language?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
I dont know why anyone would oppose this. We must also require that anyone who becomes a citizen directly or indirectly through some stupid back door under the table program be fluent as well.

Most civilized nations require fluency in its respective official language before allowing immigrants to become citizens. It makes sense to preserve a particular way of life. In America, we must preserve allegience to the flag, God, apple pie and baseball.

You are not a "world citizen", you are an American.

We speak English here. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

berzerker60

Golden Member
Jul 18, 2012
"A particular way of life" - care to define that?
Baseball gets a fraction of the interest football does these days. Should we make a law forbidding that? How about a law mandating that apple pie be the official pie of the US, and no others can be sold or eaten in government-regulated stores? That's exactly how stupid English as an official language is. English is no more "American" than Spanish or any other language, it's just the status quo. Try not to pitch too much of a fit if history happens and the status quo doesn't stay that way forever.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Patton on the Brits and Americans: "....Two peoples divided by a common language." I can't think of a better way to prove that familiarity breeds contempt by having an offical language along with the requirements that come with it.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
LaRaza would object. The south / west will be under the mexican flag soon.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
I support an "official" language to the extent that English is what we primarily teach and do business in. Though I would certainly not accept a ban on others. Just more of an affirmative stance to foster commonality between us.

Rise of a language barrier between us would do us all harm.

jackschmittusa

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2003
Why do we need an official language? You sound like the French, who have a government agency to keep everything French in France. I have long laughed at that and thought them to be snobs of the first order.

Gerle

Aug 9, 2009
We must also require that anyone who becomes a citizen directly or indirectly through some stupid back door under the table program be fluent as well.
Such as being born a citizen? No fluency requirements for them.

bradley

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2000
I vote no in the interests of freedom of choice, but the average American being fluent in English would be a huge asset.

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006
I voted yes primarily because it would make illegals feel a little less welcome.

Also, it may not be PC to say this but there are benefits to cultural homogeneity. Diversity isn't always great.

peonyu

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2003
Id be fine with both Spanish and English becoming the official US languages.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
All Conservatives should be against making English the official language.

After all, not having an official language has worked superbly for 250 years. We have grown to be the largest economy, strongest military power, etc. Damn these liberals with their pie in the sky proposals.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
I think having an official language would be good. Not necessarily to make everyone speak English but to prevent liability in having to provide instructions and such in different languages. If you don't speak English and need to use services it should be up to you to provide a translator for your needs.
In emergency situations, you need to be able to communicate properly. If firemen show up to your house, you have to be able to tell them if there's anyone left in the house or be able to call 911 and explain the emergency. I would be OK with the government providing free classes to teach people the basics of English or providing credit to attend local colleges for classes.

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
I think those who most vocally advocate for English to be the national language must first become able and, more importantly, willing to use it properly.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
In the end, who cares. If money is being spent on this, then it's money wasted imho.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
Isn't English a European language too? lol

Nah, it was invented in American when Amerigo Vespucci landed here and immediately invented a new language. England then stole it and spread it all over the place. Those damn English even renamed their country after America's new language!

mikegg

Golden Member
Jan 30, 2010
So do we take citizenship away from those who can't pass a 10th grade English exam? Let's do it.

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
I think Klingon should be the official language.

klingon-embassy_288x288.jpg